PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
While looking around on eBay, I couldn't help but notice that a lot of older pipes come with a custom small hard case. I was wondering if there are pipes made today with these custom cases, and also, is there a way that I could buy cases?

Many new meerschaum pipes come with cases, and most of the cases out there were for meers also. I saw on another thread that condorlover was having some cases made by a meer company at about $50 a case. Maybe he will drop in on this thread with more information for you.

But, for me, I want my briars to dry out between smokes, so I don"t want them in cases. But, I can see the appeal of having a hard storage for a pipe that I may not use often.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Damaged older cases are the bane of my life. In the past I used to get them repaired by Shervington's in High Holborn in London. Sadly the case restorer is now deceased and the store went out of business years ago. Recently I have found a chap in Turkey who makes meerscheum pipes who has agreed to make cases for some of my pipes but this has necessitated me to lend him the ancient case and the pipe. I will let you know how that works out but I am very hopeful as it could develop into a niche market for the fellow and his pipe work is superb.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a hard case, but I'm not as small as I used to be. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Frustrated comic.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Hard shell sunglasses work for dine pipes. The glass pipe industry sells foam, hard shell cases. I use one for air travel. Mine holds six pipes, enough for a week.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I do admire people who travel and smoke their pipes. It seems, though I take a few pipes along, I rarely have the time and place for a good smoke. I usually have a smoke or two by shear force of will, standing out beside some windswept parking lot or overlook, but it's hardly the rumination on a sunny veranda or in a pristine wilderness that I fantasize.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Trust me, in the winter, most of the time I just don't bother. This week, we're in Fl. Ill get a short smoke in each morning on the balcony. But I don't even take my single bag any more, most places are just not pipe friendly.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Never thought about making one myself. I'll have to hop right on that!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The only reason I'm using that Baltimore Ravens pipe sock is that they never made a "Super Bowl Champions" Ravens sock, so I make do!
We're in Key West this week, I had forgotten how pipe/cigar friendly this place is. Most of the venues have outdoor seating with ashtrays. I'm glad that I did bring my single-carry bag with me.
Here is another picture of that case. They run about $15 on Ebay. I drop that into a small, hard-shell cooler that we later use at the beach. I take that as a carry-on for the plane. My pipes are nicely protected in the overhead and later we have a cooler to use.
They make single cases as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CannaCASE-Charlotte-Custom-Pipe-Case-Custom-Foam-Odor-Control-and-Locks-/181914144074?hash=item2a5aed8d4a:g:8ZAAAOSwv0tVdRcZ
Large
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Padded-Case-Protective-Smoking-Pipe-Zipper-Hand-Pouch-Travel-Glass-Black-/141870543335?hash=item210824b1e7:g:VzMAAOSwyQtVlxMx

Status
Not open for further replies.