Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:   

Small Bowl Pipe Recommendation?

(30 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ime138

Login to Send PM

hey guys, i have a couple pipes and the bowls are really big on them, when i use my pipe i usually like to puff for abotu 10 -15 mins.
    there is a pipe maker in PA Boswell pipes that occasionally makes a "10 min smoker" that im really interested in, but i dont think they are made often. wanted to know if there is any other brands that would have something similar.

also i have not purchased any tin tobaccos. i really like custom blends from shops and stuff, does anyone know some online vendors that have their own custom blends? i have bought from davidus cigars which is local, but they are mostly bulk tobaccos i believe, and from milan tobaccos.

also, i have seen so many tin tobaccos, what would be a good starter? i like some aromatic and non aromatic but havnt dived into the english blends yet.

Edit: Fixed your title for you, L.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you can find one, try a King's Cross featherweight. They're a Savinelli second (I think), smoke nice, and a big enough bowl for about 15 or 20 minutes, give or take 5. I have one myself and loved it (chewed through the stem a few days ago), and wish I had a few more of them, though I've never actively searched for one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

ime138

Login to Send PM

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=H&srch=KW&search_text=featherweight&submit=Submit

looks like "featherweight" is what to search for, theres some stanwells and savinelli pipes here

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

They're going fast, but SPC still has a few of those fantastic brand-new Tsuge pipes at almost 50% off MSRP. If they weren't so small, I'd have a couple of them myself right now.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/tsuge/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=96586

does anyone know some online vendors that have their own custom blends?

Besides Boswell's (which you're apparently familiar with), L.J. Peretti (Boston), Iwan Ries (Chicago), and Pipeworks and Wilke (Vermont) all hand blend their own pipe tobaccos and offer some stellar stuff. All have websites. Carole (Pipeworks & Wilke), though, I'm pretty sure orders have to be done by phone or by mail.

IIRC, I believe Bill Finck at Finck Cigar Company (San Antonio) hand blends his own as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. rev413

rev413

Login to Send PM

Very nice, Ill have to look into getting me one of the featherweights for work considering my breaks are only 15 min anyway.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

You could also try Falcons with the standard-sized bowls.

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stanwell featherweights are great lil smokers

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

call Boswells they have way more pipes available then what you see on their Thursday morning listing.

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

ime138

Login to Send PM

i might do that, most of them are fairly expensive, with reason im sure, i gotta pay some bills and stuff so i might try a stanwell or savenelli since they are soemwhat cheaper and good names cant wait to try one out!

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

might want to check out a Pete tandard.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. lyle

lyle

Login to Send PM

I'd suggest Sebastien Beo (I got mine at smokingpipes.com), a nice affordable line of classic shaped pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. portascat

portascat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Savoy and Regal Grabows.

Larks are WAY too small.

"To seek freedom is the only driving force I know. Freedom to fly off into that infinity out there."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

pipesandcigars.com has their own line of tobaccos, its called Hearth and Home

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The MM eaton is very small and smokes great! I used one for lunch breaks quite a lot. Although I lean toward a medium size bowl now days. I smoke what I want and pop a wind cap on the bowl when I am done and set it aside. Then smoke the rest later in the day. I have a Stanwell feather weight bent Dublin and a butz choquin that are considered small. I can can get two smokes out of them.

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

The MM eaton is very small and smokes great!

The MM Pony, availible in both straight and bent models are small. I have a straight one, it's a great smoker and is good for short smokes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. timely

timely

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tsuge bulldog has what I would consider a small bowl and it is a good smoker.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on the Tsuge, good price, good quality, good smoker, and you can"t beat SPCs prices. The old cajun

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. dottle

dottle

Login to Send PM

I agree with Yadan,,when I want a quick smoke, Its the Falcon with the small apple bowl

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to agree that Stanwell Featherweights are fantastic little short smoke pipes. I use mine for short smokes and particularly stout tobaccos.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My favorite small bowled pipe is a Stanwell featherweight 242. Holds one coin of Escudo. Smokes like a dream.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For a smaller pipe check out the Break Timers made by Bob Swanson (Perry White Pipes)

http://www.perrywhitepipes.com

I hope this information is helpful.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

ime138

Login to Send PM

thanks guys, while looksing at feather weights, i got a savinelli piuma and a smaller bowl savinelli churchwarden. i absoloutly love the chruchwarden because of the cooler smoke and the wizard look, lol i feel more intelligent!
    i also have on order a peterson prince style green chruchwarden and a peterson belgique ebony finish. cant wait to get these to try out! ill reserve the erik nording pipe for outdoor occasions like camping and bon fires, lol thos eperry white pipes look nice, but ill have to save a few paychecks for that! ill prolly chekc out the stanwell and tsuge next

what are some quality pipe sellers? im bough from milan tobaccos and cupojoes so far

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Besides Milan and Cup O' Joe's, you can check out the sponsors here on the PM Forum home page -- many if not most of us have done business with all of them at one point or another, great service, good prices. I suggest you shop around, though, because prices do differ from website to website.

You can also save a ton of money buying a restored estate pipe. PM sponsors http://www.briarbid.com where you'll find some exceptional values on estate pipes, some of which are actually restored and sold by members here on PM Forums. Other well known and respected restored estate sellers on line include Mike at Briar Blues, Marty at Pulvers Briar, Don at James Island Piper, Dave at Walker Briar Works, Dave at Mkelaw-pipes, Carole at Pipeworks and Wilke, and Bobby at Two Friends Pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I use http://www.pipesandcigars.com for my purchases. I'v only bought a cob from them as far as pipes go(my orders have been tobacco based), but they have a good selection. The other sponsors are great too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to agree that Stanwell Featherweights are fantastic little short smoke pipes. I use mine for short smokes and particularly stout tobaccos.

I do that the opposite, I use my smaller bowls for lighter tobaccos, usually in the morning. When I fire up a ballsy tobacco, I fill a big'un because I prefer a stronger tobacco and want that bowl to last me awhile

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Eaton Cobs are great. I have about 6 of em hiding in various bags, drawers, my car, always one where I need one!

Elizabethan clays are about as small as you can get tho! http://www.pipeshoppe.com/ps_p2001.php

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. mog69

mog69

Login to Send PM

You could always try a Falcon pipe with a Meerschaum lined bowl (keeping the bowl size small), its a well engineered pipe, not fashionable, but works.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. mog69

mog69

Login to Send PM

You could always try a Falcon pipe with a Meerschaum lined bowl (keeping the bowl size small), its a well engineered pipe, not fashionable, but works.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A few of my favorite smaller pipes (approx. Dunhill group 3 and 2) are Peterson bulldogs and Rhodesians; Iwan Ries Exclusive compacts which are excellent little pipes at low-low prices (I have a bent billiard that takes a pipe cleaner to the bowl); and some of Joh's smaller pipes in diplomat and lovat shapes. Many others, but these have been good for me, nicely engineered smooth-smoking and durable, and have aged nicely.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   unholy1, anthonyrosenthal74, pruss, lucky695, woodsroad, kcvet67, brokenkrayon, shur, daimyo, sorringowl, fishnbanjo, jmatt, brudnic1, rsuninv, sparks, darwin, jmill208, thesmokingtexan, danielplainview, bphilli75, condorlover1, huntertrw, warren, reichenbach, jiminks, pitchfork, gmwolford, fmgee, buzkirk, gigger48, easterntraveler