Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Slow Puff Cafe

(219 posts)
  1. menckenite

William

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I am certain" that I like fried parrot.

Pics of my pipes & stuff: http://photobucket.com/menckenite
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. bobdobbs

bobdobbs

Login to Send PM

@hobie1dog
    my 99 Cadillac Deville

It's a little scratched in places. some of the trim's peeling. I was able to afford it that way. 153k miles. Couldn't ask for anything else though. Interior is also burgundy.

Also: parrot

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. mlaug

mlaug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Quaker?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." - Claire Wolfe
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. bobdobbs

bobdobbs

Login to Send PM

Senegal. Friendliest bird i've ever owned.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

nice parrot and Cadillac..thanks for the pics

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Flash Videos

If at first you don't succeed you are running about average.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, I'll tell a little about myself. My name is John Fruhmann, I'll be 59 in April. Married to a wonderful woman for over 27 years and we have a 25 year-old daughter who is a Temple Univ. grad and now teaches in Royerford,Pa.
    I was born and raised in Cliton, NJ (12 miles from NYC) and went to William Patterson Univ for my BA in Economics and got my MBA in Finance from Fairleigh Dickenson Univ.
    We moved to Bethlehem, Pa 18 years ago and I retired 3 years ago from a company I spent 33 years, 4 months and 15 days with(yes, I counted) as Director of Sales.
    I'm a musician, primarily guitar and piano. I have 28 guitars, 10 amps, banjos, couple of keyboards, etc. I currently teach guitar at our local community center and play in a neighborhood garage band caleed FFOGG (Frustrated Fat Old Guys with Guts). Mostly classic rock but I prefer to play jazz when I'm alone.
    Started smoking a pipe in college (1970) and switch between pipes and cigars on any given day.
    Because I have the luxury of not having a schedule I tend to hang around the loacl B&M 4-5 days a week 3-4 hours at a clip.
    Last fall I bought a 1977 MGB ( I had a '67 B in college) and I drive around the back roads here in the beautiful Lehigh Valley whenever the weather allows. Top down and pipe going.
    I found this forum last summer and enjoy it immensely. Great folks and entertaining stories along with an abundance of knowledge in many areas.
    I too have noticed an uptick in the pipe hobby among younger people and I think it is great.
    So, welcome to the new members. Jump in and enjoy. I'm sure that you'll find this to be among your favorite sited to visit.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. seakayak

seakayak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the bio, pipeguy. I just turned 60 in November but retirement isn't even on my radar. I'm a Marriage and Family Therapist in Palm Beach Gardens, FL. I love my work, but envy the freedom you describe (and the MGB). We share a love of the guitar (I have three) and play every Sunday at church. We started smoking pipes at about the same time, around 1970 and, but for a few misguided years of cigarette smoking in the 80's, have exclusively smoked the pipe. I still have most of those original works of art and keep them in my office as a chronicle of the past 40 years. Time does pass. It's good to know you, sir.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

John: We will need a picture of the MGB

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd love to get my hands on a mid to late sixties Triumph. Had a couple as a kid and loved them.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The amazing thing about my MG is that in the 6 months I've had it I have not had to add one ounce of oil. When I had my '67 B I carried around a case of oil in the trunk.

As far as pictures go, I've tried every way to post with no luck. I've read the intructions 20 times. Guess I just don't have the touch.

Arthur, look for a nice TR-6. They're still "reasonably" priced and parts are readily available from multiple sources. I'm sorry I waited as long as I have but its never too late to enjoy open top driving with streams of pipe smoke trailing behind you.
    Driving a vintage car is nice. You'd be surprised by the number people who smile and wave as you drive by. You can see the envy in the eyes of other drivers, especially the ones driving family vans.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

bump for the new members to respond

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Come on guys....newbies can respond now.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. bazzyt

bazzyt

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone,

I'm 37 years old, live in a small town called Fleetwood in North-West England. I'm married, but going through separation at the moment. It's cool, my wife and I are still good buddies and we don't have kids so everything is pretty mellow on that score.

I'm a musician by hobby, and an energy consultant at work. That means I arrange energy contracts for businesses and help them reduce energy consumption through engineering solutions.

Music is my favourite thing, closely followed by literature. I play the guitar and tend to play a lot of punk songs in a very mellow acoustic, folky vibe. It's good for laughs and sometimes can actually work OK as well. Here is my slowed-down folk version of the Sex Pistol's 'Anarchy in the UK'.

Anarchy in the UK

I also play ukulele, and on that I do jazz, swing and blues tunes. I don't have a recorded example to share as yet, but maybe sometime I should try and record my ukulele version of 'Fly Me To The Moon', it's a lot of fun to play!

Anyway, good to hang out here and read your stories and introductions. Who wants a beer?

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard! Somehow a Uke version of the Irish Drinking Song by The Dropkick Murphys just sounds too cool!

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. ichbinmuede

ichbinmuede

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I'll weigh in here I suppose.

I'm 24 years old since the 10th of this March (did you know that to the Romans March was originally the start of the year?) and presently a bum musician. I play two (well three if the cigar box guitar counts) instruments with a good measure of skill and those are the guitar and bass. I can also play (to some extent) the didgeridoo, the violin, and keyboards.

If all goes to plan this year I'll be starting school to become an electronics engineer. I love to work on electronics though I find myself frustrated easily when I've been working on the same circuit for hours. Regardless of that I'd like to have a good knowledge of electronics and to create my own circuits and to work in an interesting field.

When I want to relax I like to work with wood. Working with hand tools is a love of mine but I won't turn down a power tool for the convenience. I habitually make things and love smelling like sawdust after a project is underway. My most recent build was a cigar box guitar and I'm already thinking of what I'll do better on the next one.

I'm a long time gamer and have been playing them since I was 6 years old. My dad taught me to do all I needed in DOS and the rest is history. The first computer that I could call my own was an Apple IIe and I loved that thing.

I do also love to read a good book. I honestly won't often be seen reading what people would call "literature" but I do occasionally. I'll often be seen reading fantasy novels particularly Forgotten Realms because I do love D'n'D. Ed Greenwood is one of my favourites but I won't turn down R.A. Salvatore. The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist is also one of my favourites and I really love the universe he's created.

No wife or woman for me I am a bachelor. I'm definitely not a "player" though as I'm far too eccentric and strange to succeed at that.

Random facts now I suppose.

I'm a metalhead through and through but as some of you may have realized I also have widely varied tastes.

I've been pierced four times and still have them.

I've got two dogs, Boo and Ivan, and they are hilarious.

I have five guitars one of which is acoustic and one that is a cigar box and two basses (a four string J.K. Lado and a five string Ibanez GSR 205).

I haven't cut my hair since I was 16.

Haha well that should be enough I suppose.

"Enjoy every sandwich." -Warren Zevon
    Best advice that I've ever heard.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

rgwhite

Login to Send PM

Hi all,guess i'l put in too. My name is Gary and just turned 54 the first of March. I've lurked here for a while but never posted. Been enjoying a pipe for about 6 months now after a long break. Got back into it full bore and am up to 10 pipes in my collection.Decided I wanted to try pipe making too. Am almost done with my first effort. Will post pics when finished. I enjoy hunting,fishing,woodworking (built a 14ft rowboat last year) and picking my banjo(not too well). I live in Western Maryland,Garrett County. I ran a boot and shoe repair shop for about 20 years until it got too hard to continue. I now work maintenance for a local business.Been married for 12 years and take care of our 3 grandkids. I enjoy everything about pipes and it was so great to find this site and all who contribute their knowledge about this hobby.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. bootlegbonvivant

bootlegbonvivant

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha, completely missed this one, but here goes...

Name is Shaun, I'm 32 years old as of March 1. I live in in Flowery Branch, GA, where the Falcons' training camp resides. However, I am called a damn yankee because I was born and raised in/around Dayton, OH and moved here when I was 17. Southern hospitality at that age is way different than what most would expect. I was a metal-head gothic kid way out of my environment.

I'll have been married 12 years this July and have a pretty full household. 3 kids, 2 boys, 1 girl, 3 female dogs, 2 male cats, and a pair of diamond doves. Most would look at my kids and see them as being my biological children, however, we adopted a sibling group from the state program and have been what we call a "forever family" since 2009.

I've been smoking a pipe since I was 23 and love every moment I can with a good bowl of tobacco. I couldn't play an instrument to save my life, but I have enjoyed writing poetry, short stories, and articles. I've dabbled in wood working and pipe restoration over the past few years and am now trying to get more involved into the tobacco business. I'm currently unemployed due to company layoff in a reorganization. Was with the company for just under 10 years. While I'm searching for employment, I'm also working on going back to school for business administration/project management. Eventually, I want to open my own pipe/cigar pub where people can enjoy their tobacco, company, and a fine drink.

I think that's about all for now.

Southerners don't talk slow because they're dumb, we do it because there's really no rush.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  19. ichbinmuede

ichbinmuede

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Heck it just occurred to me that I didn't mention where I was born. Everyone else has so I may as well.

Well before I start this I'll tell you that my dad is an engineer and worked for the Department of Transportation and that's why we moved so much.
    I was born in Sudbury, Ontario and only lived there for the first three years of my life. Then the family moved up to Cambridge Bay in what was then the NWT. From there we went to Inuvik, then to Fort Smith, then to Hay River, there my parents separated and I went with my mum to Yellowknife. Now I'm back in Ontario living in Oshawa. It's been quite a journey.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome Bazzyt, that was fun! I think you are the first to put a sound track on here of a personal performance.

I have one request... when you tell someone that you play the ukulele that you be sure to pronounce it correctly. I'm no good at phonetics but here goes. Oo'-koo-lay-lay
    It's just a pet peeve of mine.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I’ll toss my fractured bio into the ring. I am 49, been married for almost 24 years, and have three children (16, 19, and 21), and three dogs (2 Queensland Heelers, and a lab). I currently reside in Cedar Rapids Iowa, recently relocating here from Phoenix AZ in August 2010.

My interests include woodworking, gardening, tinkering with electronics, model railroading, radio control airplanes, shooting, fishing, and (big surprise) pipes.

My academic endeavors have taken me through two associate degrees (Electronics and Law), a BS Degree in Computer Science, and a Masters Degree in Aerospace Engineering. I am currently getting ready to take the plunge and begin work on my PhD.

Even though I did relatively well in band (played an Alto Sax) in both high school and college, I really have no musical talent apart from being able to turn on the radio, or CD player.

My working life has been an interesting path, maybe better viewed as a winding mountain road. During part of my college years I worked as a locksmith before getting hired as a programmer for a major aerospace avionics company in Phx AZ while I finished my degree. I remained with that company for nearly 15 years, except for a one year break when I worked for another aerospace company, in Cedar Rapids IA, earned several patents, and had several papers and portions of two text books published. While working as engineer I also taught college part-time, teaching Calculus, College Algebra, Discrete Math, Assembly Language Programming, and C++ Programming.

Finding myself a little burned out with engineering, I took a break from engineering for a few years and worked as a Deputy Sheriff for a Sheriff’s Office in AZ working my way to detective. During my time with the Sheriff’s Office I worked patrol, Special Assignment Unit (SAU), Organized Crime, Human Smuggling and Immigration, got my EMT certification, Phlebotomy Certification (draw blood), and got cross certified as and ICE officer (287g). I earned several accommodations and citations working in those various assignments.

Then last August I accepted an avionics system engineering position back in Cedar Rapids Iowa, and after 10 years with the Sheriff’s Office I resigned, and moved the family back to the Midwest and returned to the engineering world. I honestly miss being in law enforcement, but sad to say, money has a way of changing your perspectives.

I have been smoking a pipe since 1981, only in the past couple years more seriously exploring pipe collecting and trying more blends of tobacco than the handful I had used for years.

Anything I missed, please ask.

"To Learn Who Rules You, Find Out Who You Can't Criticize" Voltaire

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  22. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

26 years old living in Las Vegas. Currently unemployed as I work for the Local 525 Plumber/Pipefitter's Union. I love all kinds of music from rap to country, but mostly into hard rock. I've played ice hockey ever since I was about 7. Been smoking pipes on and off since I was 18, until last year it was mostly off though. Right now I'm just huge into playing pick up hockey, fooling around on my guitar, going to apprenticeship school, and smoking my pipes.

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gecko13....
    Thank you for your service.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ichbinmuede, like you I have been pierced many times. But now that I am older and wiser (?) it doesn't happen near as often. Mostly the scars are on my hands, knees, and feet. I have found that thinking carefully before making a cut helps to avoid the loss of blood. It is difficult to sand blood off a woodworking project.

Winton

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. mjtannen

mjtannen

Login to Send PM

Hey Gecko13: Read my post under the thread New Career?. I've done police work for 15 years as an avocation and agree with your love of law enforcement. Too bad we don't live closer together because I always wanted to start a private security company. The two of us could make a go of outsourcing alarm response service to county police departments, make a ton of money and be our own supervisors. The sign on my office door would read "Caution,beware of armed pipesmoker".

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. lyst36

lyst36

Login to Send PM

Hello all! My name is Jon and I'm 27 (28 a week from tomorrow). I'm a bartender in Atlanta and I've been doing it for 8 years now. I was born in Marietta, GA and grew up in Douglasville, GA. I moved to Atlanta for the second time 4 years ago. I've attended 3 universities (West Georgia, Southern Polytechnic, and Georgia Tech) and, for the most part, I have a degree in Technical Communication. I thought I'd have a career by now but with the economy in shambles I've found it difficult to find one.

I have one child, a son, that is 2 years old and lives with his mother in Florida. I also have a dog named Misty that is some mix of Black Lab and Border Collie (I think). I have no particular lady in my life right now but I would not be opposed to that in any way. My passions include music (rock, underground hip hop, jazz, classical, metal), pipes, and sports. I'm a huge sports fan! I follow all of the Atlanta pro teams and I'm also an avid Georgia Tech fan. I played football, baseball, and tennis in high school and I still actively play tennis in a league here in Atlanta.

I like to think of myself as an intellect of sorts but I'm probably way off on that. I have recently gotten back into reading and I regularly read up on random math principles and ideas. I even have a tattoo of the Golden Ration. I've been pipe smoking for just about 2 years now and I greatly enjoy it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

This is a most excellent thread.

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. ichbinmuede

ichbinmuede

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is that a golden A, B, or C Ration Lyst?

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. bootlegbonvivant

bootlegbonvivant

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lol, piercings and tattoos, forgot about stating those. I have 3 tats, 1 piercing.

gecko, you sound like you've had a lot of experiences. I've contemplated law enforcement as well, but I do know that they would require me to lose weight before I could be accepted, which is something I want to do anyway, lol.

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. wolfscout

wolfscout

Login to Send PM

I'm Larry, 49 years old Disabled with PTSD from military and chronic anxiety.
    I have a small hobby farm... mostly for pleasure with fruit and nut trees. The annual vegetable garden.
    I'm a painter, sketcher in my spare time.
    I've been smoking a pipe since 1982. I served in the military, army, from 1982 till March of 1991.
    Religiously, I'm eclectic other. I'm a also tied spiritually with being a Holistic Health Practitioner, I specialize in energy work. It's taken me from being bed-ridden disabled in '99 to where I can do some light farm work now.
    My picture contribution.. just for fun:

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. sockmonkey

Jeremiah

Login to Send PM

Jeremiah here.  35 years old.  Born a spoiled brat in Wickford, Rhode Island and spent summers in Nantucket, Mass.  However, after some familial run-ins with the IRS, we moved to Houston where my father became a police officer.

On the day I was old enough, I packed a duffel bag with and left home to sail up and down the east coast as crew on various boats.  Sailed a 56' catamaran, 158' schooner, 105' brig, etc.  Helluva life for a 19-year-old.

After a while, academia began its siren call, so I left the sailing life behind and traveled high into the mountains to attend Utah State University. My official major was "Apparel Merchandising," which translates to, "hang out with the hottest girls on campus for 4 years, end up with nigh useless degree."  My unofficial majors were snowboarding, rock climbing, and bootlegging booze in from Idaho.

After college I bounced around a bit.  Event producer in Baltimore/D.C.  J. Crew sales.  Worked at a record shop for a while.  Nothing too serious.

Eventually I made my way back to Houston and started work at my family's company as a lowly file room clerk.  Learned the medical billing business and made my way up the ladder.  Now I'm the Systems Administrator and handle things like setting up SFTP servers, creating VPNs to various hospital systems, and attempting to keep all the hardware in the office in some semblance of working order.

I also became a columnist for a magazine published in Houston, Dallas and Austin.  Not much pay, but provided me access to tons of parties, got me into the Red Bull Flugtag a few years ago, and allowed me to meet David Sedaris, a bunch of the Houston Astros, Carolina Herrera, System of a Down, and Naomi Campbell, to name a few.

Then, on the night of my 33rd birthday gala, I happened to woo a lovely young schoolteacher  (I think it was the ball pit, lawn sprinkler toys, and keg of Lone Star that lured her in), and we ended up getting married this past July.

We currently live in a townhouse in the city, but we purchased our first home about a month ago and will move out to Fulshear, TX as soon as it's built.

Very nice to meet you all.

Oh, and here are some pics for hobie.

"Jib" and me in the aforementioned ball pit, just hours before we would meet my wife.

Me at the Red Bull Flugtag in Austin.

Naomi Campbell and me

Ladies love goatleggings. Who knew?

Day of our wedding, out in the vineyard

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Jeremiah: Outstanding post from you, but I bet it was Jib who lured in your lovely wife.

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. sockmonkey

Jeremiah

Login to Send PM

She just agreed with you Hobie. I was merely an earmark on the deal. =]

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Bump for the new members to respond

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

OK new members, time to give us the scoop.

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. simpledesign

simpledesign

Login to Send PM

OK I'll shoot. I'm 33 years old living in Nixa, MO currently. My steady income is from a large bank where I coach people on customer service and do follow-up calls for our "high net worth" customers. My main hobby is photography and I do get some paid gigs every now and again but I am no Ansel Adams, Joe McNally, Joel Sartore, level shooter yet.

Website is http://www.simpledesignpics.com. (which I will also take feedback about)

Posted 3 years ago #
  37. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

bump for this months new members to respond

Posted 3 years ago #
  39. seanz

seanz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rhiannon and Owyn
    All right i'm in. I'm 36 not married. I have two beautifull kids who live with their mother.
    I live in Invercargill New Zealand. A wonderfull place where the brass monkeys wear wollen underpants in the winter.
    I got into pipes as a way to smoke my homegrown virginia, and now hooked on them
    Currently unemployed But have worked as butcher for a dogs age. I enjoy reading anything i can get my hands on.
    not much of a tv person but love listening to music, anything apart from the mass produced crap they inflict on our ears these days
    as for hobbies i grow tobacco smoke pipes, a bit of surfing now and then (though the ice bergs get in the way down here).
    Cant think of much else as i am full of the man flu

New Zealand
    Peter Piper.
    Give me the weed, the fragrant weed, My wearied brain to calm; In a wreath of smoke, while I crack my joke, I'll find a healing balm.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  40. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Hmmm, lemme see...My name is Paul...good friends call me Po. I just turned 35...I live in South Central PA in the heart of Amish country...I spent 10+ years as a volunteer Fire Fighter.

I picked up my first pipe, a Dr. Grabow, about 15 years ago. I smoked it off an on for a while, but I worked for a large Pharma Company, smoking big no-no. The irony is, before I worked for a Pharmaceutical company, I actually did a brief stint with a local tobacco company that purchased tobacco for RJR and Philip Morris (this was, by far, the best job I have ever had!!!)

They laid me off in Feb and I travled to Europe to see family, and while over there I kinda all the sudden picked up the pipe full time. Came home, decided to run my Photo business full time. Since the majority of my work is done at home I have a pipe going almost 24/7 since I am a bit of a night owl (can't smoke a pipe if one is sleeping).

I'm venturing out of strictly smoking aromatics...still trying to get used to Dunhill EMP, I've always liked Virigina's and Burley's.

Think that just about covers it :)!

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What the hell. I'll play along. I am probably going to be the green one here in that I am only 24 years old. I'm not married but seeing a wonderful woman who means the world to me. We have no children yet, but only time will tell if we will have any. I work as a line cook in a small Italian restaurant as my main job and work part time as a clerk at a gas station to earn my pipe and tobacco money. I am an aspiring writer of all things science fiction, crime noir, and generally strange. I tried cigarettes when I was 18 but gave up on them after a week. I tried a cigar shortly after that and got heavily into cigars for a while, but once I loaded up my first Dr. Grabow pipe with Borkum Riff Whiskey flavored tobacco, I never looked back. I took a few year hiatus on the hobby due to a bad alcohol problem, but I am thankful and happy to admit that I have kicked the hard stuff entirely and have just started back on pipe smoking within the last 6 months. I enjoy collecting and refurbishing pipes, and am also a voracious reader and am just starting to get into calligraphy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. tomikocm

tomikocm

Login to Send PM

19, not married, no kids.

Attending Kettering University for mechanical engineering

first pipe was a duca carlo, picked up around my 18th birthday.

currently smoking out of a Cayuga slim apple and smoking the Arrowhead pipe club mixture from Pauls Pipe Shop.

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

very interesting, thanks for posting up guys.

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. onemangang

onemangang

Login to Send PM

I'll be 41 this December. I've been married for 15 years and have a wonderful 11 YO daughter. I grew up on a farm in souh Georgia. Been smoking a pipe off and on since I was 16. I am the director of a private/non-profit nature center. I spend most of my free time on Lake Blackshear in SWGA.
    I dont use puctuation correctly and didmiss spellcheck.
    I enjoy practical shooting and most types of hunting. When I grow up I want to own a liquor store/gun store/art gallery. I enjoy exploring the world of bourbon. I am a small time artist that only paints when inspired. The top 5 bands I am listening to now are Pink Floyd, REM, Widespread Panic, Talking Heads and the Chickasaw Muddpuppies.

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Chickasaw Muddpuppies

If you spend most of your time on the lake, does that mean you are fishing? and if so, for what?

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. onemangang

onemangang

Login to Send PM

I fish mostly for catfish off my dock. SOMETIMES I even put bait on my hook. Seriously though, most of my time at the lake is spent relaxing and looking at the water. Some folks "don't get it" though. Great place to roast a bowl.

Posted 2 years ago #
  48. abecox

abecox

Login to Send PM

20, student at Cleveland State Uni in Lovely downtown cleveland.

I started back in the summer of my 18th year. Its stuck. I used to play the Upright Bass, though I'm looking for an opportunity to start up again. Maybe. Its kinda fun being the One pipesmoker I know of on Campus, but the camups cops don't like me much.

Posted 2 years ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

My name is Bob. I am 52 years young. I am from Aurora Illinois, I migrated south to Alabama 16 years ago and stayed,I am now what they call in the south a "Damn Yankee". I am married to a beautiful Southern Bell(Baskervilleslady). I have one son from my first marriage. I have been smoking a pipe since I was 14 years old. ‎‎I don't really have any hobbies. I don't call pipe smoking my hobby, I smoke my pipe for personal pleasure and satisfaction. I do have a few pastimes. I like to fish for catfish while sitting on the bank puffin my pipe. I like watching pro baseball(go Cubs)when permitted. I like to watch college football (war eagle). College football Saturdays are very interesting in our home as my wife is a Die hard Bama fan and I am a Auburn fan. I like to read, mainly mysteries and true crime. Sometimes I like to work with my lathe and turn out tampers that I usually gift out to fellow pipe smokers. I have three dogs, a Boston Terrier, a Chiweenie ( Dachshund and Chihuahua mix), and a Dachshund. My choice of music is Blues and Classic Rock from the 60's and 70's. When it comes to movies I like westerns, mysteries, and action. If you want to know anything else just ask.

Posted 2 years ago #
  50. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

If you want to know anything else just ask.

Checking account and routing number please

Bob: post up some pics in the Dedicated Fishing Thread on here with some of those catfish.

Posted 2 years ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Hobie1dog I said I like to fish, never said I catch any!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  52. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Hobie1dog I said I like to fish, never said I catch any!!

That's why they call it Fishing, right?

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. docrx

docrx

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My name is Jay...When i was 20yo(1976) I dove from a lifeguard stand into shallow water and fractured my neck leaving me paralyzed from the neck down. I was told i would never walk again. I rehabbed at the rusk institute in nyc for almost one year and defied the odds and walked out but do have residual damage increasing with age. I grew up in north Nj and now reside at the Nj shore.I attended the U. of Connecticut and received a pharmacy degree and practiced pharmacy till i retired 2 years ago.I am married to Linda but we have no children except for our rescue dog LOLA from Tennessee.We have travelled to practically every beach from Maine to Key West.I smoked a pipe when in HS and gave it up shortly until begginning again about one year ago for a break from cigars.I enjoy the summers floating in my pool smoking a good cigar. We are planning to leave Nj within 2 years to reside in the Jacksonville Florida area,hopefully on Amelia Island.I enjoy all music and my all time favorites are Van Morrison,Bob Dylan,And The Grateful Dead. I enjoy reading the classics while puffing a cigar or sipping my pipes most of which are old estates from you know where.

It is impossible to tickle yourself
    Posted 2 years ago #
  54. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Lots of people have diving accidents like that, glad to hear you recovered

Posted 2 years ago #
  55. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

We are planning to leave Nj within 2 years to reside in the Jacksonville Florida area,hopefully on Amelia Island

Been there, done that, loved it...what a plan, you da man.

Can I come and visit you when you do move?

Posted 2 years ago #
  56. docrx

docrx

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hobie you'd always be a welcome guest!

Posted 2 years ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

defied the odds and walked out

What a great example of willpower and determination! I applaud you sir!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  58. docrx

docrx

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was a bit wobbly but i did walk out and ty for the applause! It keeps me going.

Posted 2 years ago #
  59. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK lets see, I am a old beat up U.S.M.C. vet. (Been there done that) that now walks with a cane some days and I smoke a pipe. WOW lets see You beat that.

U.S.M.C. (SEMPER FI)
    Posted 2 years ago #
  60. sherlock

sherlock

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I give this a go if you're all still interested. I am 27 married with a little girl in the oven living in Littleton, Colorado. I am a student studying Literature and History hoping some day to become a full fledged college professor. My kidneys failed when I 9 which lead to a kidney transplant a few years ago. I started smoking pipes when I was 18 and never really stopped. I started smoking with my grandpa who was a life long pipe smoker. Between the wife and school I don't really have time for many hobbies, but I do collect coins and books when I have time to devote to them. I guess that about sums it up.

Posted 2 years ago #
  61. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

I'm 38 and married. I live and work near Dallas, Texas. I am a mortician and a metalhead but I don't play in bands anymore. I do produce a couple, though, and I have my own publishing company to sell the CDs and the 2 books that I wrote. There's more books and CDs on the way but right now I still have to work for the man so I write/produce when I have time to waste.

For fun I like to brew my own mead, country wines and liqueurs.

I'm also one of the resident motorcycle guys on here.

My favorite pipe is my Meerschaum and my favorite baccy is H&H black House, but I smoke random aros in a corn cob almost as much.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 2 years ago #
  62. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm 38 and married. I live and work near Dallas, Texas. I am a mortician and a metalhead but I don't play in bands anymore. I do produce a couple, though, and I have my own publishing company to sell the CDs and the 2 books that I wrote

Youre a writer, a metal head, and you are my older brothers spitting image. Are you sure that we aren't related, Baron?

Posted 2 years ago #
  63. whitebriar

whitebriar

Login to Send PM

i'm 67--married 38 years--two daughters, one son (deceased)--worked for almost 40 years and now retired--
    spent 4 years in the service; 38 months and 7 days in Asia--
    seems i have smoked a pipe forever--
    been an amateur radio operator since 1958--
    beside the radio hobby i read, watch birds, and take care of the lady of the house--enjoy hiking in the boonies observing nature, but despise walking just to get exercise--not much into music or sports anymore, and watch TV only if you point a gun at me and force me to--
    my mother always said i was born 'terminally lazy'--

cobs, old briars, and burley
    Posted 2 years ago #
  64. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello! I am 50 years old, father of 6, stepfather to 6 more, and 20 grandkids across the board. Worked as a medic for over 30 years, in New Orleans, Henrietta Texas, and now offshore in the Gulf of Mexico. Besides my pipes, I enjoy trail riding in my Jeep, riding my mountain bike, watching movies of all sorts and listening to a wide variety of music. My other interests include the contrast of science and religion, political discussion, and good beer. My reading list tends to the eclectic as well, but primarily science fiction. Tried to write for a bit, and have the rejection slips to prove it. I really like my job, my favorite tobacco is Penzance, and my favorite pipe is the last one I bought.

Posted 2 years ago #
  65. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

I dunnoo matchstickman. Some of my family has been in America since before it was America and some were Germans that emigrated to Texas, so anything's possible. My people have always lived in the South-Virginia, Georgia and Texas mostly but one relative was in Boston in the late 1600s. I'm related to both James Bowie and John Wesley Hardin and some of my relatives were part of Texas' Old 300.

Posted 2 years ago #
  66. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Baron. We Slaughters also have links to James Bowie. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Horton_Slaughter

Posted 2 years ago #
  67. chestercopperpot

chestercopperpot

Login to Send PM

My name is Seth, Chester Copperpot is a character from my favorite movie from the 80's, when I was a kid. I'm originally from a small town in Indiana, but I've lived in Chicago, London, Edinburgh, and Luoyang China. I studied Chinese in college and lived in China for a little over a year so I'm somewhat fluent in Chinese. I graduated from Purdue University. I have several hobbies, including classical guitar, Irish mandolin, straight razor shaving, model ship building, and drinking too much microbrewery beer. And eating. A lot. At the moment I'm building a 1:96 scale model of the USS Constitution, it should be done in a few months. I'm distantly related to Humphrey Bogart, his mother was my grandfather's cousin. I've never been married and don't have any kids, although I want both. I guess that's me!

Posted 2 years ago #
  68. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

straight razor shaving, model ship building, and drinking too much microbrewery beer. And eating. A lot. At the moment I'm building a 1:96 scale model of the USS Constitution,

We will need a picture of that one when you're done with it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  69. morlader

morlader

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am 77yrs old and live in St Austell Cornwall in the UK.I seem to have been smoking a pipe since the age of the dinosaurs.Mostly Latakia blends but just lately Virginia blends.In my younger days I was at sea in the Merchant Navy then came ashore and drove trucks for a bit then joined the Ambulance Service I retired in 1999.I am married with one daughter and three grandchildren. My hobbies are reading and photography ( 35mm film ) don't do much these days though.I swim most every day in our local 25m pool nothing special,just plod up and down for an hour

Posted 2 years ago #
  70. chestercopperpot

chestercopperpot

Login to Send PM

I am 77yrs old and live in St Austell Cornwall in the UK.I seem to have been smoking a pipe since the age of the dinosaurs.Mostly Latakia blends but just lately Virginia blends.In my younger days I was at sea in the Merchant Navy then came ashore and drove trucks for a bit then joined the Ambulance Service I retired in 1999.I am married with one daughter and three grandchildren. My hobbies are reading and photography ( 35mm film ) don't do much these days though.I swim most every day in our local 25m pool nothing special,just plod up and down for an hour.

Good show! What is that ship in your avatar? HMS Victory?

I lived for a bit in Barnet, north London. I didn't like it there, I'm sure I'd be happier in Cornwall or maybe Wales.

Posted 2 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   flintlockjohn, mromagna, fnord, antbauers, ravkesef, daimyo, herheck, smorgdonkey