PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Just inherited this nifty gadget from my father in-law, since he was upgraded recently.

Making my first pulled pork. 4 hours on high since I can't wait until 7pm to gets me some eats. Hoping it turns out well.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Nothing tops a slow cooker when it comes to simplicity. I often think you could put any piece of meat in there, season it and leave it long enough, and it will taste great!

Cool, I picked up a trick for a pulled-pork that just falls apart when you look at it. Try using orange juice to cook it in. Use whatever seasonings you want, but instead of water try using a cheap orange juice as the liquid. The acidic juice seems to dissolve the fats better making it just fall apart. I did notice a very slight tang to the meat, but it really enhanced the spices. The local taco truck does this, and it's not so much a "pulled" pork as a "fall apart" pork :D

mzpuff

Lurker
Feb 13, 2013
Toronto
I shred/pull the pork, then put it under the broiler with extra sauce on it. This carmelizes the top and dries it out a bit. I also confess to using some liquid wood smoke. I don't have a real smoker to do it right.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
We just made shredded chicken for tacos in ours. Chicken, seasoning, onions, jalapenos, cover it with salsa. Yum!

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
I really should not read this sort of thread as I get hungry just imagining the dishes.
Slow cookers are great for curries as well.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
A couple of chicken thighs, carrots, celery, onion and a few hours= chicken soup. Pinto beans and a ham hock + a few hours + corn bread = heaven! Corn beef and water to just cover it+ a few hours = sandwiches for a week!
As for pork roast try 1/4 sugar, 1/4 salt rub. Let it set over night in the refrigerator. Next day rinse and put in a 275 oven for 7 hours. You can re fry for carnitas. Use for ramen, add sauce for pulled pork, BBQ sandwiches, fried rice......what ever else you can come up with......it is just darn good!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I may be too much of a purest, but pulled pork is cooked over wood, then pulled by hand or with a couple of appropriate sized forks, served with a scoop of cole slaw on the cheapest, white hamburger bun available, and slathered in a vinegar based sauce. Stewed or braised pork is cooked slow in a big pot. I guess today's "slow cooker" is the equivalent of your mother's old stew pot.
I fully realize that this is petty and it's more a matter of semantics, but the term "pulled pork" conjures up an entirely different picture than braised or stewed pork. Every TV chef and cook book author misusing the term should be forced to go to North Carolina (and some parts of Virginia and South Carolina) and made to publicly apologize to the entire population for their ignorance.
Just one of the little things in life that I react too strongly to.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I grew up on the West Coast, so I never really understood the holy wars surrounding BBQ variants (including whether or not BBQ and barbecue are really the same thing...). My personal favorite recipe involving a chunk of pork shoulder and a slow cooker is this one:
6# pork shoulder

1 tablespoon red Hawaiian sea salt

1 tablespoon black Hawaiian sea salt

1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring
Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until meat is nearly falling apart. Finish the job with forks or other implements of destruction, remove excess fat, and serve.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
God bless the pig! From chops to back bacon, butts for pickled feet, cued or stewed, there is nothing to the match the pig for its taste and versatility.
But until you've had an authentic, pulled pork sandwich as found in North Carolina and a very few other points south of the Mason Dixon Line you won't have a decent base line for judging other styles of pork pulls.

Status
Not open for further replies.