PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
Have any of you had that pipe that you almost got your hands on, then it slipped away?
I was having a look at the fresh estate pipes on SP.com and spotted this beauty for $55. Lovely grain and only lightly smoked.
It's in my shopping cart and I'm away to check out when the quantity turns to 0, the pipe is gone :(
There will be others I'm sure, but that seemed like a great buy for someone on a limited budget. I wish the buyer the best of smokes!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I feel your pain. Nate sniped me twice that I'm aware of. Hate that guy...not really. He's just incredibly quick with his clicking finger.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Sorry I stole your pipe Styler. Just kidding.
Sorry for your loss. I know how that feels.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They should have a system where the item disappears from the online inventory while in the shopping cart. At least for a limited time anyway.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
It happens to everyone that shops online I think.
Recently I had a pipe in my wishlist on sp.com...after about a week it sold, so I deleted it from the wishlist.

About 5 weeks later the pipe reappeared in the makers available pipes!
I assume someone put it on layaway then changed their mind.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nice looking! Sorry for your loss.
004-001-10664.jpg

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I had one that I was actually allowed to purchase only to find out a day later it had already been sold. It was one of those you seldom see, on my "Holy Grail" list and I thought I had struck gold. Needless to say there were more than a few "expletives deleted" upon receiving the email. I do feel your pain.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I've had that. Usually, I'll see a pipe on one of the major sites, and think, "I really want that, but it's not in the budget." There's usually a bit of sadness when I see these pipes get sold, but usually it's mixed with a sort of relief, put into words "I'm glad someone else bought that so I can stop wanting it."
The two exceptions were a Kirsten aluminum cigarette holder, and a pair of Kirsten cigar holders (brass and silver), both on Marty Pulvers' site. The latter, I called to buy, and he'd forgotten to mark them sold-- I later bought one silver one from him, but am still looking for a gold one.
The former was only $15, but I really had no spare pipe money for months. When I finally did, it sold. Still looking for those, too; eventually, I'd love to find all three sizes and the ladies' colored ones (I don't know, but I suspect the ladies' set was silver, brass, red, blue, green.)

At The Briary, I had been eyeballing a Northern Briars stacked Dublin with a pencil thin shank for a week, and the day I walked in with cash in hand, he told me that it had sold via their website. The wind was just knocked out of my sails. Then I logged in on here, and another member had posted a picture of the pipe and said that he had just pulled the trigger. So, at least it went to someone I know. It wasn't like some stranger... :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.