PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Last weekend I smoked, rather tried to smoke, the GBD Tapestry I recently restored. Unfortunately it had a ghost that tasted like a skunk had died in it. I'd reamed and retorted it and it didn't smell but it had just an awful taste to it. I did three s/a treatments over the course of several days, letting it rest and dry between them and papertowl-reamed after each one. This morning I took a cotton swab dampened with rum extract and wiped down the bowl and inside the shank through the draft hole. I'm thrilled to report that the skunk is gone and I have a hint of rum flavoring in my smoke. I don't know how long the rum flavor will last but probably not too long. Thought I'd pass this idea along in case you run into the ghost of Pepe le pew! :lol:

Jul 15, 2011
I have come to find that more often than not, ghosts live in the shank and stem more than they do in the actual bowl. Often, an alcohol soaked bristle cleaner does wonders to clear the shank of any old flavors. In any case, it sounds like a nice pipe and Im glad you were able to get the foul taste out!

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I scrubbed it good with alcohol and a shank brush, too. I forgot to mention that.
I think you are probably right about it being in the shank. It seems to me that if it were in the bowl their would be some smell, which there wasn't. At any rate, I'm glad I know where it's not: anywhere in my pipe now! 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.