PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhodokanakis

Lurker
Nov 30, 2017
On ebay, one can readily find a supply of some clay skull pipes, which are being sold as "RARE D.M.D. Scotland 1950's McDougall Skull Clay Pipe UNSMOKED NEW collector". I bought one myself, which just broke at the shank (100% my fault, not blaming the seller at all) and I am thinking whether I should replace it. There are a couple things that don't add up here, like the fact that even though there *was* a D. McDougall clay pipe manufacturer in Glasgow during the 1800s, I found no mention of him in the 50s and I found no mention of those pipes anywhere but on ebay - which prompted me to start this topic. But then again I wouldn't be much worried if a pipe I bought for around 10 pounds wasn't super rare and special, so my main worry is the possibility of it being such a low quality item that might actually be dangerous to smoke. Mine smoke quite nice and cool before it broke, but it did give a somewhat strong and kinda strange taste for the first 5-6 smokes that almost drowned out the tobacco. It slowly went away, but since this is my first clay I don't know if this is to be expected. Any thoughts, experiences or advice would be much appreciated.
s-l1600-595x600.jpg

I know absolutely nothing about the maker mentioned, or clay pipe makers in general. But, if it truly feels like clay and not some sort of polymer, it is most likely safe to smoke. However, it could have some sort of dust or something in it that is giving it that weirdness. It's kinda hard to tell from here, ha ha. I had a small clay, till I lost it, but it never had any strange smells. But, it was a freshly made pipe. There's no telling what has been around this pipe since it was made, before you bought it. I hope it wasn't stored near mothballs or anything.

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
Seen loads of this type of pipe on the bay,especially the ones they claim to be meerschaum.They range in price from £10-£70 and although some look pretty nice, they are not as nice as others i have seen on this forum among other places.Lots of them are made in Turkey which i think is supposed to be the meerschaum capital of the world(someone correct me if i'm wrong). They are not the sort of pipe i would buy,maybe a meerschaum lined bowl might be nice.
Wiz

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I only know that I have smoked many a clay pipe, and none of them tasted or smelled funny. In fact, much like Mary McNiel, I tend to like to taste new tobaccos in a clay pipe to get the pure tobacco flavor before deciding which briar to try it in.

rhodokanakis

Lurker
Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, that's what I thought too... Mine when hot, gave a strange smell, which I would liken to Martini if you'd allow me, that's how it smell! And I mean literally, I could feel it in the smoke and I could feel it when sniffing the pipe itself. It's as much of a mystery to you, as is to me...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have smoked bazillions of clay pipes before been forced to give up by my dentist and I have never found that they had a weird taste other than a hint of clay/earthiness when first used.

Status
Not open for further replies.