PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Took the kids to the local park/skatepark earlier and had a bit of a culture shock.

On our way in, a kid asked me for a cigarette (I was smoking a pipe packed with University Flake). I asked, "Does it look like I'm smoking a cigarette?" He skated off and I thought about myself as a 13 year old smoker -- I never would have considered asking an adult for a cig. Much later I heard the teens using foul language and talking very disrespectfully about women/girls -- shamefully we did the same, but NEVER in the presence of an adult. These kids looked at me after I made myself known and then continued as if there wasn't an adult or nothing to be embarrassed about. When we were leaving, I once again heard one of them as I walked by not 4 feet from the group" I F'd that dirty cxxx...."

I couldn't hold it any longer (I had an 8 & 11 year old with me) and said, "You kiss your mom with that mouth?" This kid then actually said, "Fuck off, dick." --- To an adult!!!

Again, when I was a kid, we said a lot of inappropriate crap, but never in the presence of an adult. We actually feared adults and had the decency to be ashamed. What the hell has happened?

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Too many parents want to be their children’s friend, instead of being their parent. It’s never popular or cool to be the hardass adult imposing the rules, but it’s ultimately what’s best for the child.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
What has happened? Well, in better times, that kid would get knocked right on his ass. Without the cops arresting the adult, and without the asshole parents suing. That's what the difference is. That kid needs to lip off to one of the construction laborers I used to work with, one who had been to the joint and wasn't scared to go back. That shit would only happen the one time, guaranteed.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I blame poor parenting and a generation of indulged spoiled children from a group of people who think there are no repercussions of bad behavior. And the simple fact that they took corporal punishment out of schools. You cannot reprimand a child and sometimes adults without a committee looking into whether or not you violated their civil rights or hurt feelings.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
My dad ruled the house with ever present death to anyone who would question his rule. He was a little much. But there was no doubt who was in charge, and we walked softly around him.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I asked one for his board a few weeks ago, did a 360 flip, smiled and walked away. They haven't been back to my street. :mrgreen:

Jan 8, 2013
I asked one for his board a few weeks ago, did a 360 flip, smiled and walked away. They haven't been back to my street. :mrgreen:
I'm not sure I could still pull one off. Been too long since I've been on a board. Ironically though, I've recently been eyeing some old decks from my day. You can find some of the cool skateboards from then online unused. I was checking out a Sims Staab not long ago, one of the many boards I used, and I loved that one... I wonder why....
f2cc055650f18dc48ff653490b909055.jpg

I blame poor parenting and a generation of indulged spoiled children from a group of people who think there are no repercussions of bad behavior. And the simple fact that they took corporal punishment out of schools. You cannot reprimand a child and sometimes adults without a committee looking into whether or not you violated their civil rights or hurt feelings.
or looking into whether or not your being abusive. These days disciplining a child could send you to jail for abuse.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
The Lord saw good reason to not let me have children. I was resentful of it for a bit, now that a few years have passed I understand. Maybe he was saving me from the times we live in and the changes I'm not sure I could have stood for bringing a kid into. Raising kids is not for the weak I agree, but it's also not for me. My father was the authority in the house and I was scared of my mother as well. But not many people raise kids like they used to and that's a damn shame. My dad will simply say " you didn't end up in prison did you?"

I have an uncle who never had kids and he once told me "You can have a full life without children". I agree more and more.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
mackeson:
In light of what that little twerp said to you, the fact that you didn't spank him until he cried like a girl is admirable. But fear not, one day that boy's foul mouth will write a check that he simply cannot cash.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
one day that boy's foul mouth will write a check that he simply cannot cash.

You are probably very right. Too bad that little $%#$%^%$ doesn't have a parent to teach them that lesson before someone much more dangerous does.

Admittedly, I don't have a very heavy/physical hand with my kids, but when my voice gets low and quiet they really pay attention. I've taught them to be respectful of adults, themselves, and others and so far it's worked. They're respectful of their parents, grandparents, teachers, and adults in general. If I ever got wind of them speaking to an authority figure that way, we'd have a problem.
On the upside, I enjoyed watching my boys play while smoking a tasty tobacco!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"You are probably very right. Too bad that little $%#$%^%$ doesn't have a parent to teach them that lesson before someone much more dangerous does."
That reminded me of the story by the late Jean Shepherd titled "Grover Dill and the Tasmanian Devil" from his classic book In God We Trust - All Others Pay Cash. One fateful day Grover, the neighborhood bully, pushed little Ralphie Parker too far...but I'll let him tell the story:
"To this day I have no idea how he materialized out of nowhere to trip me flat and finally force the issue.
'Come on, kid, get out of the way, will ya?' He grabs the ball and whistles it off to one of his Toadies. He had yellow eyes. So help me God, yellow eyes!
"I got up with my knees bleeding and hands stunned and tingling from the concrete, and without any conception at all of what I was doing I screamed and rushed. My mind a total red, raging, flaming, blank. I know I screamed.
'Yaaaaaahhhh!'
"The next thing I knew we are rolling over and over on the concrete, screaming and clawing. I'm out of my skull! I am pounding Dill against the concrete and we're rolling over and over, battering at each other's faces. I was screaming continually. I couldn't stop. I hit him over and over in the eyes. He rolled over me, but I was kicking and clawing, gouging, biting, tearing. I was vaguely conscious of people coming out of houses and down over lawns. I was on top. I grabbed at his head. I caught both of Grover Dill's ears in either hand and I began to pound him on the concrete, over and over again.
"I have since heard of people under extreme duress speaking in strange tongues. I became conscious that a steady torrent of obscenities and swearing was pouring out of me as I screamed. I could hear my brother running home, hysterically yelling for my mother, but only dimly. All I knew is that I was tearing and ripping and smashing at Grover Dill, who fought back like a fiend! But I guess it was the first time he had ever met face to face with an unleashed Tasmanian Devil."

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Too many youngsters go through life without training. The upside is they are not going to be competition for my grandson in the job market. It takes a lot of ill-bred children to keep cops in business. I always thought of those kids as "job security."
And, keep in mind, when you were a kid there were those same types running around loose. There are just more of 'em and I think this latest crop is, perhaps, even a bit more emboldened. Fewer consequences. Teachers can't use the "board of education" any more. If I was still walking a beat I'd be spending a lot of time justifying my handling of juvies. Times change! (Heavy sigh!)

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Skateboarding has long been a refuge for kids with bad attitudes and behavioral problems. Not every kid, but there were/are many of them. You can blame the parents, but also take a look at our societies’ role models: celebrities, elected officials, etc. Many of them display rude, childish behavior and are praised and rewarded for it.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I'm not sure I could still pull one off. Been too long since I've been on a board. Ironically though, I've recently been eyeing some old decks from my day. You can find some of the cool skateboards from then online unused. I was checking out a Sims Staab not long ago, one of the many boards I used, and I loved that one... I wonder why....
A friend of mine had the Staab, and the Santa Cruz Jason Jesse. I started with Zorlac, went to World Industries, New Deal, Powell, and my current board is a Hookups with Independent trucks and Spitfire wheels.
img_20171212_001714-337x600.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
That's right where the parents are so important, in the choice of role models. But, life is complicated. I know parents who raised a pair of kids as identically as possible. One of them was regular passenger in my scout car over the years. The other is a great guy. Some people as simply miswired along with the lack of a proper raising.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Social services frowns on most forms of discipline these days as it may emotionally or psychologically scar the children. I was taken to court not to long ago because a teacher found out one of my daughters was grounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.