Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Just finished smoking my bowl of dry Proper English, and about 3/4 of the way down I heard distinct sizzling in the bowl, even when not puffing. First time I have noticed that! I haven't had a chance to clean the pipe yet, but could it be moisture I induced? The tobacco was sufficiently dry that I doubt if it was the tobacco being wet. Plus I got no gurgle which is usually my warning that I am not sipping correctly. Thanks for insights!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Hi John,
I get that in some of my newer pipes as well and I assume it is because my pipe isn't quite broken in yet. Sometimes you will hear that crackle as any moisture in the briar is heating. Again, this is only a novices opinion and assume others can give you a better answer, but I only hear that on my newer pipes.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I have a theory I am probably wrong but I have heard this as well from time to time. If that blend (Proper English) is anything like McClelland dark English 5110. It could be the texture of the tobacco burning. Dark English has the texture of a busted stump. You may be burning brush in your pipe :)

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
It is an older pipe, it certainly was dry tobacco, and it did have the texture of tree twigs. Had not noticed it before, but usually break up any bigger pieces of tobacco before loading. Didn't tonight. And ran out of Proper English. But intend to get more at some point. I will watch carefully!

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
My briars tend to sizzle when smoking aro's, but my meers don't since I only smoke englishes in them. My englishes are drier than my aros. I've always believed that the sizzle was from moisture, and it sounds like I was right.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I really think more moisture in the pipe is condensation of the air as you smoke, than moisture released from the tobacco.
I have noticed that my pipe with a very small draft hole collects lots of moisture at the bottom of the bowl, and I can never smoke to the bottom. As soon as I hear that sizzling sound, and taste steamy smoke, I dump the bowl and call it finished. Doesn't matter what the tobacco is, nor the dryness level.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
It usually doesn't matter how dry the tobacco is, as water vapour is a natural by-product of burning tobacco. It is interesting that you say this happens when you are not smoking the pipe. The same thing happens with me. My theory is that water vapour is condensing in the stem and draft hole. The upward pressure of drawing on a pipe keeps it there. But when you stop drawing, or if the moisture becomes too heavy, then it falls back in to the burning tobacco and the sizzle is that moisture turning to steam.
One way to minimise this, and it takes practise, is after every few draws of the pipe, is to give a very gentle blow back down the stem. This helps move moisture down into the burning tobacco to vaporize silently, before it builds up to the extent where it causes sizzle. This also helps keep the smoke drier, and helps smoking to the bottom of the bowl. Don't blow back too hard, do it gently, or you will blow ash out like Krakatoa!

Status
Not open for further replies.