Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Is there a link here or somewhere on the www thats shows pipe sizes? Is there a general size number that applies to all pipes or does each maker have its own system?
Like maybe..

Group 1 Pipe Length is x inches long

Group 1 Bowl Size is x inches long

Group 1 Stem Length is x inches long
Thx

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Leave it to the vast knowledge in this forum to prove me wrong, but I don't believe that there's a standardized pipe 'size' system, although you can find pipe 'style' charts all over the internet. Some of the individual manufacturers do have size charts, like Group 4's or Group 6's, but I've never seen a chart or guide with exact length or bowl size.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I believe you are correct, TopD. The "Group" thing was a Dunhill innovation, IIRC. Dunhill uses it,and some vendors, like IRC, reference it, but I am not sure any other makers really use it, as such.

It would be very hard to get precise measurements because of variations in bowl shape, stem configuration (straight, 1/4 bent, and so on), I would think. It's much more of an art than a science! :puffy:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but my interpretation of the Dunhill groupings seems based on volume. I always get frustrated with that. As I can smoke a .8" wide x 1" deep bowl about as fast a .6" wide by .8" deep bowl. The first would be a group 4 and the second would be a group 1. However, the chart would make one think that a group 4 would smoke longer, based on volume.

I think these discrepancies are what prevents a universal size chart, as some may want to know volume of tobacco, while some may be wanting an estimate of how long a bowl will smoke. Volume does not translate into time very well, without knowing the width to depth ratio.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I think TopD and Jud have nailed it. The only thing I want to add is that, if I understand it correctly, Dunhill Group Sizes refer to the amount of briar used in a pipe and not necessarily the size of it.
Clear as mud... Good
Basically, I have found chamber dimensions that I like, and found a comfortable weight range. If a new pipe is a style I like, and falls within my chamber dimensions and weight criteria, then I will buy it. But it was through basic trial and error that I found/developed this criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.