PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I don't know if anyone saw this on Ebay. I was doing some reading about the legendary Sixten Ivarsson and stumbled across this estate pipe this morning just by chance.

It sold today for $1905.00 USD
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331930777687?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
See here for more,
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/batch-of-ivarssons-on-ebay

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
People buying these pipes can afford it, and are collecting the name, not just the pipe. It's all relative.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For someone's retirement or a decade birthday or (if his wife is so disposed) a fiftieth anniversary, a Sixten Iversson original might be just the ticket. I don't know the market, but perhaps they overpaid. The stem needs attention; I hope the rest of the pipe is in prime shape. If you just want a memento of the grand man himself, and don't plan to invest in something like this, Stanwell produces their Sixten Iversson designed pipe, their special tapered pot shape (not a standard cylindrical pot) that can be bought at PC (for example) at their excellent Stanwell prices, and you'll always have a little bit of Sixten in the night when you light her up.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I just posted that information because of late a very good friend has sent me links about great pipe masters of the past and I've found it very interesting reading. When I actually stumbled across that pipe since I was reading about not just Sixten Ivarsson but his son Lars and daughter Anna, that I thought it was historically (for me) a fascinating find. I have been digging of late into the history of pipes such as Charatan, Dunhill, GBD, Dr. Gabrow and find it very interesting. I'd never pay that kind of money but I know (because someone purchased this one) that their are collectors out there who will purchase these historical estate pipes. Just to know about these unique master pipe makers and be able to read their history is good enough for me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just to know about these unique master pipe makers and be able to read their history is good enough for me.
Amen to that. I have an abiding fascination with the history and lore of pipes. And Sixten to the possibilities of pipe design is like JS Bach to the possibilities of musical expression. Both provided fundamental change in their respective fields, opening possibilities of expression completely unconsidered until they showed the way.
So would I spend a chunk of change to own a Sixten pipe? If I could afford it, yes. But as I can't, I'm content to know about what he did, experience the ongoing ripple effect of that, and get the benefit in less costly ways. It's not that I expect one of his pipes to perform better than any that I currently own. It's that it's a pipe from a master, for whose mastery I have the utmost respect.

billp

Lurker
Jul 20, 2016
As far as owning an original Sixten pipe the closest I will ever get

is the ones in the Stanwell collectors set that consisted of 6 Danish shapes

from the I believe the 1990's or there abouts by their most legendary pipe makers

Poul Stanwell #32, Sixten Ivarsson #70 and #6 Anne Julie #35

Jess Chonowitsch #169 and Tom Eltang #190
But then I still have an unsmoked Set that someday I might smoke

bill in red deer

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
as they say, a fool and his money will soon part
Reverse snobbery like this is part of the reason pipe boards are a revolving door of noobs and collectors avoid them.

Who ever owned these had a great collection. 8O

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Dave, I don't think it's reverse snobbery. I think it's simply using a well known quote to indicate that more or less they themselves wouldn't spend that kind of money for a pipe. There have been times here when some folks have posted pics of their marvelous collections and I've taken a screen cap of the picture, printed it, and stuck it on my shop wall. (I hope the owners of those collections who posted those pics forgive me my license) If people have the means and enjoy collecting pipes I applaud their ability. Just about anything you name people will collect and pay huge dollars for. My cobs are all great smokers and I have two very economical Nordings that smoke fantastic. It's nice to be able to look at pipes for sale like on Pipestuds website and dream.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
From what I've seen in the past, none of those Ivarssons, nor the Micke pipes (so far) are overpriced.
As much as I admire Jorn Micke's work and career, I'm just not that interested in buying pipes as collectibles. But some people are really serious about putting together a pipe collection and they'll pay more than most of us ever would. I don't think that makes them fools, especially as they could put those pipes on ebay tomorrow and get most of their money back -- or more.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Let's fight the FDA, rather than judging other's tastes, whether they have a couple of cobs or a collection worth many thousands. Oh, and debunking the shibboleths of the pipe world.

Status
Not open for further replies.