PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
while I can't light it up for another hour or so, the smell when I opened the tin is AMAZING. This is my first GL Pease, cannot wait. So excited. The quality of the tobaccos used is clearly a cut above the rest...

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Which seller did you use? I ordered 5 tins from P&C and it was called a pre order. I'm guessing you got yours from SP. I went with P&C because the price drops when you order 5 or more. :)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Jealous. I ordered on Sunday, but forgot about Thanksgiving. I won't get mine until Friday. Looking forward to trying this -- hope you'll post your thoughts here after you've had a chance to smoke it.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Mine arrived today. It smells great. Deep earthy raisiny smells. Can't wait to try it later.
Those of you who had a chance to try the Porteous Scotch Cake that misterlowercase shared a while back, it smells a lot like that. There's that faint, but hard to define smell of an alcoholic topping of some sort. This should be a great one for aging.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
Cracked my first tin and had a couple of bowls - very impressed . The taste changes through the smoke and keeps you interested. Defiantly a standout.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Finally had a chance to try this last night and I really liked it. The VAs, though, were a bit brighter and sharper than I expected. Not too sharp, but just a touch, which probably means it will age well. These were tinned in what, October? Even a few months will make a big difference.
But all in all, everything hangs together really nice. The VAs are sweet and sturdy enough. The Perique adds a fruity note and rounds out the VAs. The dark fired is there in just the right amount, adding a bit of fragrance and smokey, BBQ-y flavor. Finally, the topping (any idea what it is?) kind of holds everything together and adds a fermented flavor, much like you'd get from well aged British-style flakes.
In my book, this is a winner.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Let me be the first to say I didn't care for it, on first smoke. I didn't really care for the smell upon opening, and the taste really didn't agree with me. Oh well. I'm still keeping it. I know that GL produces superior blends with superior leaves, as a whole. I know that it will probably improve with age. I also know that my tobacco tastes are still in their infancy, and that what doesn't appeal to me now may appeal to me down the road as my tastes and experience change and develop. I was really hoping this was going to be one of those that knocked my socks off so-to-speak after the first pipe. Glad to hear everybody is liking it. On the other hand, it just might be that this is one blend that will never appeal to me, and I accept that too. This is an interesting hobby we have. Happy piping

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Haven't ordered any yet, but I enjoy GL Pease blends. Va/Per blends tend to be subtle and nuanced and

often don't jump out of a just-opened tin to immediate adoration. When you give them a few encores,

and don't put them right between strong Latakia blends or non-aromatic burley blends, they really do their

dance in an amazing way. I find them quiet but complex. You have to somewhat let them come to you.

Then, ah, a perfect smoke. Maybe take a days break from aromatics, English, or non-aro burley blends

and then light up.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
This sounds intriguing. I hope to try it soon.
Some reviews already up: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9362/g-l-pease-sixpence

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I have mine on the way from smokingpipes, along with an early Christmas present to self, a Peterson system pipe I have been wanting for quite a while. The 'shipped' notice came yesterday, so I should have it by Tue or Wed at the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.