PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I've smoked my way through most of a tin now, and this is some really good stuff. The tin note is amazing and I almost hesitate to say it but it almost has a grape smell to it. I say almost because it's like a really ripe grape and not in an off-putting way. The cut is a chuncky broken Flake, and either rubbed out or simply stacked and folded I found the blend to smoke beautifully. Stacked and folded did give me a much longer smoke, and even rubbed out the ribbon is quiet wide. I think either way it's for the better as I seemed to smoke this fairly fast if I don't pay attention. There is a beautiful earthy taste that I assume comes from a combo of the red VA and the dark fired. A little sweetness is there too, though not overly so. The perique is masterfully used here and is noticeable from the start to the end. It's not overly spicy, maybe not spicy at all, and lends more of that dark stewed fruit feel to the blend. There is some spice but I suspect it is a play between the dark fires and the perique. One of my favorite aspects of this blend is the consistency throughout the bowl. Some blends are like a two or even three in one, in that they change over the course of a bowl. This blend is just consistent all the way through, which each leaf playing its part the whole time. I think that takes some real though and skill on the blenders part. The topping, whatever that may be, as I can't identify it, is delicious and adds well to the blend. It is also apparent to me from start to finish. Beautiful blend and one that I will be stocking up on and stashing away for the future.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Tastes very much like Solani Silver Flake, but much more affordable. I enjoy it as well.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I'm lighting up a bowl currently..I love the stuff. Got a 8oz tin when my 2ozer was finished.

Looking forward to trying Montgomery.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I love the Pernod Tin note. At least I hope they used Pernod, it's on the shelf in their warehouse. Anisette really does wonders to tobacco.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
I greatly enjoy Sixpence, especially in cold weather, and it reminds me of some old British classics now long gone.
Speaking of colder temps, I should order some more as winter is a' coming.

Not to mention that this too will soon vanish courtesy of the FDA.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Yeah I just realized that Stbruno..really sixpence hasn't been around long at all.

I, for one, will be stocking up sooner than later.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I've not had St Bruno yet, are you suggesting that they are similar? If so I may have to grab some.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
@texmexpipe:
No, St Bruno is completely different. This old Brit classic is a flake (or ready rubbed) of empire VAs and burley with some topping of so-called Lakeland essence, which is mildly floral or perfume-like. I find that essence quickly evaporates in the tin and do not taste it in the smoke. St Bruno can also offer hints of dried plum or raisin.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
love the description of the blend when you read about it, it is pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.