PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I've got about 25 pipes.I usually keep a few of them in my rotatation for a while then switch to a few others.In fact some times it might a year before I smoke a particular pipe.Such in the case with a pipe that I've been smoking recently it's a sitter.If anyone here doesn't know what that is it's a pipe that's flat enough on the bottom to sit without falling over.I really like this pipe,so I checked all my other pipes.You guessed it.None of them are sitters.Now what to do.Just forget about it,or risk the wrath of my wife and buy more pipes.Pipe smoking sure can get complicated.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've come to appreciate sitters lately, as well. I have a couple of Stanwells ( a 37 and a 70) that I bought specifically to be my "desk" pipes -- great for when you need both hands for typing, turning pages, etc.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
The thing I really like about Comoys, is that they cut a flat bottom to nearly every shape, so they're nearly all sitters, billiards, Canadians, lovats, no matter the shape, they'll sit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have quite a few sitters including the oldest pipe I own, a Tinder Box house brand smooth bent pot with

a saddle stem. Others are two pokers, and two Peterson B11's, which is a great shape, bent brandy but

with a special Peterson touch. My most recent acquisition, a Ser Japoco, a subtly bent Dublin, turned out

to be a sitter, to my surprise. For pipes that don't sit (or stay) a small ceramic bowl will do for a place to

park a pipe, logistically placed where you often need them. It doesn't look like a pipe accessory except

when needed.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
This is the only sitter I have, that was intended to be so. Purchased around 1986, a Bjarne:

cba741b8.jpg

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I have my first sitter coming in the mail. I like to smoke half a bowl and then come back to it twenty minutes later. I am really hoping that this does the trick for me. Of course if I really like it I will also have to figure out how to convince the wife that I need to add a few more of this style to my collection.
By the way, it is not PAD when it comes to practicality, right???

Aug 14, 2012
If you hesitate to buy more pipes, maybe there are a few that you could adapt with a vise a rasp and some sandpaper.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a few sitters but only two I knew were sitters before buying them. For me it is not a big deal because my ashtray also holds two pipes on the side. I have never gone looking for a sitter specifically but do appreciate their convenience.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I never looked specifically for a sitter, but I have 9 of them in my rotation and now that you mention it, they are more convenient.
Besides three pokers, most of them are billiards and Canadians and the flatness on those is so subtle that it's barely noticeable.

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
Here is my latest sitter, a Yeti. Shown here full of Frog Morton's Cellar and a glass of port, a perfectly relaxing combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.