PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
My first pipe was a sitter, and it still smokes fine.
But it doesn't sit anymore. It may not be the first rule of sitters, but it's at least a good rule: make sure a pipe bit doesn't throw it out of balance.
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I know just what you mean. I have a sitter made by a very famous artisan, and it sits fine, as long as there is a full load of tobacco in the bowl. Empty.. the stem is juust long enough to throw it out of balance :?
Thankfully, given that sitters have a flat bottom (usually) it's nothin but a thing to adjust this balance issue, or even the angle of the dangle (sandpaper on flat surface), especially if it's something that has happened over time where the bottom is just not quite perfectly flat anymore.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Then there are those pokers and pots with a big wide bowl bottom that will sit no matter what. If you

want a sitter, those are the ones, along with the foursquare billiard panels that sit on their bowls, but

also on their shanks and stems to some degree.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I can't stand straight billiards that could clearly sit if they were simply flattened at the bottom, like the Irish Harp billiard, but for some reason pipe manufacturer won't go through the trouble.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Take a look at a Mr. Brog Lumbejack...... Got one on a trade and I can promise you that empty or full it will take a class 4 hurricane to knock that bad boy over. lol

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Half my collection (of 16) are sitters. +1 to pokers that sit no matter what.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I recently chatted about this subject with Todd Johnson, and we both agreed that if it doesn't sit when empty, it's not a sitter.
Russ

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Then there are those pokers and pots with a big wide bowl bottom that will sit no matter what.
This made me think of Weebles - they wobble but they don't fall down...

Status
Not open for further replies.