PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnusx1

Lurker
Aug 31, 2009
Ok, so I tried this stuff per recommendation. First off the smell in the bag is nice. It's light yet subtle sweetness comes through. Light up and man there was plumes of smoke! Nice note to it. Hints of dare I say vanilla? Over all not to fancy just a good basic smoke to my untrained pallet. Burned fairly cool. Can see this as a lawn mowing smoke.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
I see it at my local grocery a lot, someday I'll muster the will to try it. Good to hear a positive review!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
That's what makes them decent smokes for a beginner. They are fairly easy to fire up and they won't make you tear up if you waste a few bowls in the bargain.
I haven't had SWR but the same can be said for the other old standbys I've tried.

Jan 8, 2013
I haven't tried it, but being easy to come by I'm sure I will. As of now, I have smoked only Captain Black cherry and Super Value Buttered Rum. I originally thought my Super Value would be my "take everywhere with me and smoke" and the Captain Black would be my "save it at home and relax after a day of work smoke." But to be honest the Super Value, I think is far more enjoyable. Maybe it's the cherry thing. I may have just been drawn to the packaging because I have this thing for black on red, and it caught my eye on the shelf at the pipe store. I really have no idea. Out of the two, the Buttered Rum is my favorite and I find myself smoking more of the Captain Black only so the Super Value Buttered Rum lasts longer.
Perhaps I'll try a bag of the Sir Walter Raliegh. Being a new pipe smoker myself, and it being something another new smoker finds enjoyable, I will follow him gladly.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"As of now, I have smoked only Captain Black cherry and Super Value Buttered Rum. "
Wow. Anthony, you owe it to yourself to at least TRY a higher grade tobacco.

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
Yes Anthony, if you can afford it you should try to get some sampler packs. They are a cheap way to try much better tobaccos.

I personally love the victory lap sampler from pipesandcigars.com.

It will give you a look into a whole new world.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Lol, bigvan... I'm guessing he'll get there. I started with your basic black cavendish. I'm sure he'll want to try some of the higher grade stuff soon enough. We're quite good at enabling TAD on this site, so I'm sure it won't be long.
-Jason

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
Also Anthony you can get a free pouch of SWR from this link.
http://stglanepipe.com/FreeSamples.aspx

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
My favorite OTC is 1-Q, but SWR is a good smoking and enjoyable Burley blend. It's great in a corn cob pipe or a clay.

baronsamedi where to you get 1Q over the counter?? I wish I could find it in my area, we have ZERO tobacco shops that carry anything other than drugstore blends

Jan 8, 2013
@bigvan... I will, I will! Promise! :)
@hans Thanks for the link.
@lordnoble I'll definitely get there. I'll likely be ordering most of my tobacco online it seems. The closest tobacco shops really don't seem to carry anything super spectacular.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I'm really drawn to the old school packaging, its been on my list to try, plus its dirt cheap.

rev413

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2013
I tried SWR within my first few weeks of smoking. I will admit, if funds are tight its what I will have to resort to.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
I don't much like the regular Sir Walter Raleigh, but the Aromatic is surprisingly good. I got a free pouch in the mail and didn't smoke anything else for awhile. One of the best aromatics I have smoked.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I had been reading many good reviews about Sir Walter Raleigh so I picked up both the regular as well as the aromatic. Tried them both and have to say I really did want to like them but I didn't care for them. Being from a small town the only tobacco available locally are most of the 'Drug Store' blends. I've tried about all of them with the exception of 'Sugar Barrel' which I'd love to try. My favorite of all those old codger brands will always be Captain Black 'White' Regular.
'The worse case of tongue bite ever came from a package of Captain Black Cherry!' Never again.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Good choice. Lest we forget the final hours of our patron Saint. From Wiki:
Raleigh was beheaded in the Old Palace Yard at the Palace of Westminster on 29 October 1618. "Let us dispatch", he said to his executioner. "At this hour my ague comes upon me. I would not have my enemies think I quaked from fear." After he was allowed to see the axe that would behead him, he mused: "This is a sharp Medicine, but it is a Physician for all diseases and miseries." According to many biographers – for instance, Raleigh Trevelyan in Sir Walter Raleigh (2002) –Raleigh's final words (as he lay ready for the axe to fall) were: "Strike, man, strike!"

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
well hang in there my friend. notthing wrong with the otc tobacs, but there are many better tobacs out there. i like swr and many other otc tobacs, try some other tobacs, for example pipes and cigars.com have an excellent varitey of tobacs. you will find something you like there. good luck.
mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.