PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Too bad you didnt like this, SWR is one of my favorites. I would characterize it much differently then you, I definitely detect top flavoring. The room aroma also gives away a topping that is mildly sweet, but what you didnt mention is what I do like about it. There is a certain dark, slightly sour dimension to the smoke that perhaps is an aquired taste but one that I enjoy.

Maybe its my personal PH level, but SWR always packs a nice nicotine punch for me, somewhere around the middle of the bowl I notice an enjoyable feeling of detachment, a definite buzz nearly every time I light up a bowl.

While I do enjoy it in briar, it sings a slightly different note in a good corncob pipe.

Try this blend out in a Missouri Meerschaum cob before you toss it.

I also tend to blend this 50/50 with McClelland 5100 Red Cake, both being pretty monochromatic, but with the 5100 lending its bright notes to the darker SWR, and giving it a little bit of a character change through the bowl (SWR smokes about the same for me, beginning to end by itself)

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
Since lane took over production i think it changed a little,the cube cut is different then before but i still smoke swr weekly and still enjoy it.

loborx

Apr 20, 2011
I like Sir Walter! Good, honest burley and not much else. Walter, his pal Prince Albert and I have spent many an enjoyable evening sitting on the Velvet lounge chairs and smoking our pipes over at Carter Hall. :puffy:

Reactions: f4phantomdriver

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
If I didnt have SWR as a base to puff on.. I wouldn't be able to judge all the rest of the ones I buy on a regular basis.

it's like those who dislike Carter Hall. I don't put much stock in the choices of others when I have to be the one to decide what I like or not. It's too individualistic for that. The long running history of SWR makes it a Prime tobacco company.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
That was a fine review ; Bob. Fair and honest from your perspective, while leaving wiggle room.
I know for myself, reading a review for captian black (white) on LTR, I was frustrated when I saw a 5star rating. How can one give a 5 star when compared to all the fare available today? For me a 3 (median) would be to high. A 5 makes a mockery of perspective by shortining the ceiling.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Like I said in the review; I have no idea why this blend affected me so negatively. It could have been a bad pouch I suppose. But for whatever the reason, I did not enjoy it at all. It actually surprised me a bit because I have smoked other 'Drug Store' blends such as Carter Hall, Mixture 79, Captain Black, etc. and found them pleasant enough. Some were better than others, but none of them affected me negatively like SWR did.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
SWR was my first pipe tobacco. I still grab a pouch now and then. Nice plain old time geezer smoke.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
It occurs to me that, in all these years as a pipe smoker, I've never tried SWR in spite of the fact that both my father and grandfather smoked it religiously. Now that I'm my grandfather's age, perhaps it's time I tried a bowl. Thanks.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I picked up a pouch of SWR recently but have not opened it yet. I have a plan to buy a pouch of C/H and Prince Albert and review them against each other. Problem is I have been snuffing instead of smoking for about a month.

mike68

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2011
It could smell of burnt turd and toe-jam and taste the same and I'd still buy it...it was one of my grampa's smokes so I always have some on hand. Oh - it IS a good, non-intrusive "cake creator" though...I like that about it too!
Well written and honest review though...

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
My dad smoked this for years. I just could not get into it. One of the only tobaccos that gives me a headache. But dad loved it. You'd be surprised how many cans of nuts, bolts, etc are in his shop in a SWR can. Everywhere you look. It definately was his one and only.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I agree with your review bob! I had high hopes when I ordered this but, not to be. I have ordered the aro now so I shall try that and see if it is any better. Can't be worse for sure.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I like SWR, and SWRA but honestly they are not "great" just good. Kinda like Bud Light, people knock it but it is what it is a good cheap brew.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Kinda like Bud Light
Good comparison. Personally I agree with Mr Tate on this one, if its an OTC that I have to smoke it will be Captain Black, or Prince Albert

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I must be a born Codger. I smoked SWR for the first time this week and I think It's a good smoke! The way to smoke it is in a cob, though. It's not bigvon flavor, but It's smooth, not bitey and has a very pleasant room note. A nice intro to Burley IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.