PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
With all the Virginia threads lately 'Sir Johns Flake Virginia' is not mentioned nor is it on anyone's short list. It's got good ratings on TR. Could anyone shed some light on the quality... or lack of... on this flake?

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
Derekflint,
Sir John's is my #1 VA flake right now and has been for the last ten to twelve months.
Nearly a year ago, I was looking for something new. I'd guess, like yourself, I was looking for something new and conducted a detailed search on "TobaccoReviews.com"; noticing the high ratings. I purchased two tins and after the first two or three pipe-fulls, directly purchased several more tins.
It's a great flake tobacco and I encourage you to try it if you like VA flake. Good from the tin when arrived, better, given a bit of age. Personally, I like it more than Full Virginia Flake and even Dunhill Flake.
This is a sleeper, if more knew about it, I imagine it would become very popular and "Out of Stock" or "Back-ordered" from outlets carrying this tin.
V/R,
Archer

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I saw it for the first time on an online retailers website last summer and it was all gone within a day or two. I haven't seen it around since, but I haven't looked too hard. It looks to be another Luxury Flake or F&T CVP, where it comes and goes in small batches from time to time. I've not tried it, but would like to sometime in the future.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
It looks to be another Luxury Flake

That's the impression I got when smoking it. On the lighter side and with the typical Danish topping. A nice flake, but nothing to distinguish it from other similar flakes. Combine that with availability issues and it just wasn't worth chasing to me.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo der - Sir John's is one of the items in my 'short' list, to wit the Top300 Cellar. It surprises me how close this is its excellent sister product, John Aylesbury Luxury Flake, now renamed Classic Flake.
hp

les

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
For Christmas I got a Peterson's Apple. .75 Dia., 1.5 deep. This pipe will be dedicated to straight Va's. It's amazing how different shapes and sizes affect the taste's of blends.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
I just received 2 tins in the mail today but this will sit for at least 2 years before trying. Keep building that cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.