PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Like many of you, I'm a big fan of ole Sir Ernest - since long before I was a pipesmoker. I am watching a show called "Chasing Shackleton" on Netflix. It's a three-part program where some guys recreate the Endurance escape. So far it's pretty good and I figured there were enough "Endurance" fans out there to share. Enjoy.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
970195240_5eQvS-S.jpg

Peterson%20Great%20Explorer%20Shackleton%20braun%205.jpg

Peterson%20Great%20Explorer%20Shackleton%20rot%206.jpg

I have this Peterson Shackleton explorer named after him. I got it brand new in Calgary at a Tobacconist going out of business and his mother was the pushiest saleswoman ever. She'd almost gotten me to buy this lady pipe I thought was a Churchwarden, but then upon closer inspection I could see it was a lady lulu I think. I declined than she said any pipe for 50$ I could have. I looked, this one spoke to me, the lady went to tell her son she was selling it for 50$. He was like Mom!! That cost me more than 50$. So he asks me if I'll pay 60$. I was like sure, this is a nice pipe, a Peterson. And that is the only nice pipe I've ever bought new, and got it for 60$. Nothing in my collection I've paid over 12$ for except a few 18$ pipes that are really nice. The inside of the bowl was coated though with varnish which I wish I would of just given it a salt and alcohol treatment before starting the break in.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Respect also to Tom Crean, Frank Worsley and Frank Wild.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The book Endurance is also an excellent read. One cool thing is how they were each allotted a pound of pipe tobacco to take when they had to finally abandon ship. Amazing that they all survived until rescued.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
The book Endurance is also an excellent read.
Alfred Landsing's "Endurance" is among my top ten favorite books. Hope y'all enjoy the recreation on Netflix. I'm on part III tonight and it's been pretty good. I'm surprised they haven't made a modern movie out of this story.

apocrisiarius

Lurker
Sep 29, 2014
The things these men did, and the way they did them, is staggering.
Agreeing with Owen, the life of explorer and pipe smoker Tom Crean should be better known, but like many of the men of the heroic age of polar exploration he was modest and disliked publicity.
During the Terra Nova Expedition (the journey to the South Pole lead by Scott) Crean walked solo 56km across the Ross Ice shelf to rescue Edward Evans. He was Second Officer on the Endurance with Shackleton and was one of the men who walked across South Georgia once the ill-fated crew made landfall. He took part in three major expeditions to Antarctica during which he won three polar medals and an Albert medal.
Once he retired he returned to Ireland he opened a pub, put away his medals and never again spoke about his experiences in the Antarctic again.
Here he is with a pipe and some puppies.
Tom_Crean.jpg

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Not on Netflix but worth seeing if it comes to a town near you
http://www.tomcreanshow.com/about/

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
I saw it a number of years ago ssjones, and really enjoyed it, I'll definitely go again if I get the chance.
Guinness did an ad featuring him too, I think its on you tube, sorry can't the link thing in work.
He was certainly an unsung hero, but now has a micro-brew beer named in his honor, so I'm sure that will help his name live on. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.