PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a big non-aro and burley blend and straight burley smoker, but I enjoy most genres of leaf. I'm catching up a little on Virginia and Va/Per, and it reminds me of what some of the members who are Virginia experts have said. With Va and Va/Per blends, sipping is most important. These are mostly refined and complex blends with lots of artistry. Not that so many exquisite burley blends aren't, but burley, for those who enjoy it, may leave a little more latitude for the occasional inspiration to puff it up a bit. Virginia can be a bit harsh if you don't observe the etiquette and smoke easy. Any comment or advice from our Virginia and Va/Per member tutors is welcome. How you approach your blends, and what works best for you.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I can't claim any Virginia expertise (though I was stationed there for several months in the early days of my military career :P ), but I find the best results are achieved by simply keeping the pipe clenched in my mouth with my mouth shut, and going about my business. Over time, my mouth fills with smoke and I blow it out, backwashing a little back through the stem of the pipe.
What I'm driving at is that with Virginias and Virginia/Perique mixtures, a passive approach is often best. Note however that most any tobacco does quite well with this approach, but a VA will be a little less forgiving if the smoker is too 'active'.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@mso489, your words are spot on. I have nothing to add. Great piece for contemplation as always. I will say that Burley Flake by MacBaren is now my go-to tobacco when I don’t want to think about what I’m smoking and just puff away.

Status
Not open for further replies.