PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
With Kevin's permission, I thought I'd share this with members of the forum. Doubless some of you already know about Sinister Cinema, the distributor of classic and nostalgia VHS and DVD videos of a huge variety of sf, horror, western, and many other genres from yesteryear. I just ordered a pair of films from the sixties/early seventies, "Island of the Damed" with Peter Cushing and "Warning from Space," a Japanese film about a starfish race of beings that try to rescue earth from a cosmic danger. Great stuff to watch while smoking your favorite tobacco with a tumbler of fine whiskey. But in recent years, SC has been publishing a series of great old double novels (with great original covers depicting marauding robots or tentacled monsters--usually with a naked woman stratigically enwrapped in their icky arms--called "Armchair Classics." These great old reprints are priced to sell at $12.95 and I guarantee you won't find them on Kindle, and are great companions for quiet evenings with the pipe. You can write them for their huge catalog at sinistercinema.com. If you're into the classic schlocky titles available way back, you won't be disappointed.

scan-411-461x600.jpg

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I just watched a Cushing movie last night on "Svengoulie" island of terror or some such. A great mind enema to be sure. Smoked a bowl of straight Virginia and I think I payed more attention to it than the movie. Lol.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Ah yes the crappy ole B Movies and Novels I grew up on! I remember sneaking into the Drive-Inn to see most of those. I might have to check them out for old time sake.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
It's probably not in their catalog, but last night I rewatched The Fly, with David ("Al") Hedison of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and Vincent Price. I saw it first as a kid.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
"To Serve Man". I loved that one! Watched the 1953 "The War of the Worlds" over the weekend. Those old corny B sci-fi's are great!
Klaatu barada nikto!

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
Not exactly in the same category but one of my favorite old moves is Fail Safe which came out in 1964.
The movie is a pretty good cold war story with a long list of great actors/actresses, some of them at the beginning of their careers. I haven't read the book but movie is great. It used to be free on Netflix but it has since been pulled. I picked it up on Amazon for around $9. I think there may be one or two pipe smoking scenes in that movie as well.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Great film and book. SC may well have it. Trivia note: Fail Safe was delayed from being released because it would have interferred with Dr. Strangelove, and the egotistical Stanley Kubrick, one of the most overblown director of the 20th century, didn't want the film to compete with his. I think it was a bloody shame, because Fail Safe was a genuine cautionary tale, whereas Strangelove was just a satire.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
This sort of stuff is up my alley. I host a Good Beer, Bad Movie night at my house regularly with some friends. We watch some absurdly poor quality movies and drink local craft brews. Last week was Troll 2 and some IPAs. I think the best overall night was Mega Force and Flash Gordon.
It's a good time.
Thanks for the heads up @sparrow.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I wish Elvira's program was broadcasted here--I was in love with her. Does anyone remember Sir Graves Ghastly? He had a great show for years until he had to retire, and his fans kept writing him until he passed in his nineties. How I missed those shows! Friday nights used to be reserved for those great shows, keeping me up all night.

I'm waiting for my current order of Warning From Space and Island of the Damed, plus three Armchair Classics. (Island is unusual in that it features a character--Peter Cushing--who has his hand cut off, yet survives the film. There's an unspoken rule, now being disregarded more frequently, that a person who loses a limb dies off at the end. Kate Breckensale loses a couple of fingers to frostbite in Antarctica but survives in the little known film, Whiteout.)

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
When I was a kid, we had Horror Incorporated and Midnight Macabre, as well as a running of the old Basil Rathbone / Nigel Bruce versions of Sherlock Holmes. Great movies, all.

Status
Not open for further replies.