PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
kuksa_cup1.jpg

Could a single briar piece nosewarmer style pipe work out? Is a mouthpiece really necessary for a very short and pudgy pipe like a Finnish kuksa?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd still go with a mouthpiece, if a very short one, since even briar doesn't do that well with moisture and clenching. All of the craft of doing a one piece briar would still be present, but the pipe would be more durable and satisfying. To be in keeping with the traditional motif, maybe vulcanite would be a good stem material.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Not briar but I did recently stumble upon an Etsy shop that makes quite a few pipes made of single pieces of olive wood: http://treebuddiesdesign.etsy.com

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
A single piece all-briar pipe is do-able but sacrifices have to be made with the airway diameter or the bit thickness. In order for the bit to be thin and the airway throughout open, a stem has to be drilled from the tenon end. The height of a traditional stem slot on most pipes with a nice open draw is between 3/64" and 1/16". It has to be opened horizontally so airflow is not restricted. Some pipes are drilled 1/8" from bit to bowl but the bit thickness is going to be such that many find it uncomfortable and some find the airway to be too restricted. On a nosewarmer, you could theoretically drill it 1/16" from bit to bowl and cut a slot horizontally all the way through and not suffer restriction but I would think this would have long term issues with buildup in the airway. You would have to keep it meticulously clean. I believe Chis Morgan recently had some all-briar one piece pipes for sale. I'm not sure how he chose to drill them.

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
captainprophesy, it's been on my mind for a while now, although I still have not decided.
mso489, thanks for the input. The reason why I wanted to go for a single piece is simply for the novelty value of it though.
michaelmirza, almost exactly what I intend to do. Thanks!
wayneteipen, what I had in mind was burning into the carved block with a slightly bent wire, and then working my way in there with a bent file. Obviously I will have to make my own tools, but I am looking for a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.