PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It is now cool to be an aromatic smoker. No longer are you the red headed step child, you are now a connoisseur of the highest order. Come out of the closest and rear your head back and howl to the night, you are forever one of the cool kids.
Here is my current list of aromatics I am smoking and cellaring. If you have these on your list, bully for you. If you don't have them on your list, get off your arses and get some.
Cult: Blood Red Moon

Sutliff: Molto Dolce

Mac Baren: Modern Virginia Flake

Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake

Esoterica Woodbridge

Esoterica Blackpool

Esoterica Hastings

Esoterica Ramsgate

Peterson University Flake
Now if you would like to add your favorite aromatics to the list, by all means do so. We will create the most comprehensive list of aromatics the world has ever seen. People from all over the world will look to our list as the quintessential aromatic list in the history of mankind. When it is complete, we will patent the list and then license it to distributors and retailers across the world so they may use it to sell tobacco to their customers. We here at PM will be looked upon as the pipe smokers who saved the pipe and tobacco industry.
All hail the posters on this thread.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Don't dive into that pool often, but when I do its - Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream and an occasional guilty pleasure bowl of Boswell's Sweet Tea.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
You do realize that if you cellar aromatics for 20 years, when you open the tin the only thing left will be a pile of goo, right?
:rofl:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I agree with Cult BRM, it's quite tasty and based on decent tobacco. Doesn't need drying, smokes dry and bite-free even if over-puffed (although that diminishes the flavor enjoyment), and the tin, taste, and room-notes are high-class cherry cordial, not cough-syrup cherry.
Royal Yacht is in my rotation, but I can't call it an aro. Sure it's topped with something, but it tastes and smells like straight tobacco and packs a wallop of a nic punch.
Lane Ltd's BCA is very pleasant. Pretty much every B&M now and in the past has sold it under some pseudonym. It is the epitome of vanilla black cavendish, bite-free. (Nicotine free also, which could be a plus or minus depending on who smokes it).
GL Pease Virginia Cream is delicious and high-quality and reasonably nic-laden, but quite technique-sensitive. Very hard to smoke slow enough keep it from biting without having to relight a bunch of times. And when it does bite it bites like a crocodile.
Mixing VA Cream 2:1 or even 3:1 with BCA tames the bite without altering the taste profile significantly.
Erik Stokkebye's 4th-Generation 1931 Flake is a dry, cool-burning burley blend with a light honey topping.
Amphora Full (Red) is passable, once you give it half a day's drying time.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
+1 Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream, an excellent though aromatic with top notch, high quality tobacco.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Dan Tobacco- Blue Note - The first aromatic I really came to love and still do! The smell in the tin actually translates to taste.

Sillem's - Black - Considerred a crossover blend but definitely fits on the aromatic side of things

I agree with Blood Red Moon but can't back you on the Molto Dolce crap, hell, I would rather vape (practically the same thing really)!this is, in my opinion, an aro for those who hate the taste of tobacco.
Can we list Lakelands under aromatics? They're fantastic! Dark Flake scented is one of the best tobaccos ever created! Brown Twist Slice has some floral notes but smokes like a fine cigar and the nicotine in these puts Royal Yacht to shame! Anyway, I can't believe I've avoided Lakelands all these years, Gawith, Hoggarth &Co are producing some of the finest tobaccos under the sun.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Brown Twist Slice has some floral notes but smokes like a fine cigar and the nicotine in these puts Royal Yacht to shame!
Mix it with a good Burley and you'll meet the gods of the ancients.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Can we list Lakelands under aromatics?
Personally, I don't consider Lakeland blends to be aromatics. To me they're far too different from American aromatics and therefore they are their own genre completely. Just my $0.02.
As for the topic, my current top aros are:
Lane's 1Q

Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake

Peterson's Connoissuer's Choice

Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday

Mac Baren 7 Seas Red

Cult Blood Red Moon

Straus' Wenceslas and Sleepy Hollow

C&D's Autumn Evening

Lane's RLP-6

Stokkebye's Cherry Bon Bon

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
Are CAO aromatics loved by any? Can't get into them. I've tried Black and Moontrance. I've yet to try Vanilla, Cherry Bomb, or Eileen's Dream but have them. I dunno if it's me or the tobacco. I usually go with a non-aro I know I like when given the opportunity to smoke a pipe.
I want to try H&H Meat Candy but am hesitant as I haven't had a single great aromatic experience.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
My cellar is fully stocked with BRM. I sleep much better knowing that this stuff is going to become the next Penzance. I don't need any other aro but I still keep a tin of Holiday Spirit around in case Santa stops by.

Mar 1, 2014
People should try 1-Q and Molto Dolce at least once just because they're the standard "Vanilla" blends.
I think my top "normal" aromatic right now is Sutliff Z92 Vaniulla Custard: https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/Sutliff/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=151168

After that it's Butternut Burley: http://www.4noggins.com/hearth-and-home-butternut-burley.aspx

I love Sutliff Top Shelf but it's only available at Pipes and Cigars right now, which means no international shipping.
For crossovers I start with the venerable Frog Morton's Cellar: https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mcclelland/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=107868

The aftertaste of Peter Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme reminds me of a spice cake: https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/stokkebye/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=37288
Then we get into the weird stuff.

Frosty Mint is definitely not for everyone, it will leave weird flavours in your mouth, but it's an experience: http://www.4noggins.com/sutliff-altadis-frosty-mint-tobacco.aspx

Gawith Hoggarth Ennerdale is a sweet and flowery mix, best from the tin, the smell might be too powerful at first but the flavour gets sweeter as the bowl progresses: http://www.4noggins.com/gawith-hoggarth-ennerdale-flake-50-g.aspx

Ennerdale will make your pipe smell like roses forever, so don't go putting it in just any pipe. Ennerdale is also a flake where most Aromatics are ribbon cut and burn fairly quickly, so Ennderdale should probably be smoked in a more narrow bowl to help it burn better.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Scotty's Pancake

Mcclellends Vanilla Black Cavendish

autumn Evening

4noggins - Thomas blend

Molto dolce

sutliff - Vanilla Custard

Frog Morton Cellar

Candy Cane Cocoa

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
+1 Bagpiper's Dream
For weak aros (Nicotine wise) mix 1:1 with Five Brothers (thank Pipestud), retains note, tames moisture and adds nic.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Peterson's Deluxe Mixture, because I like the small but detectable amount of walnut flavor.

Germain's Plum Cake Mixture, not classified as an aro, but it smokes like one to me.

Drew Estate Grand Central, although not a listed flavor, I taste some coconut in it, which I like, and sometimes I mix it with GH Coconut Twist.
+1 on Blackpool, Vanilla Cream Flake, and Cherry Bon Bon.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Cult Blood Red Moon

Captain Black Midnight Gold

Bjarne Viking Odin's Wind

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
If I smell anything vanilla or caramel it turns my stomachs. Can't stand to smell that crap. I can stand a cherry, berry, or whisky aromatic ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.