PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I won an eBay auction last night to this Sina Fumor Vanguard. Steve Laug has a Reborn Pipes blog on a similar Sina, which was made by a GBD off-shoot. You can read more about Sina here:

http://rebornpipes.com/2014/08/28/giving-new-life-to-a-sina-rhodesian/comment-page-1/#comment-14627
I have not seen a Sina with such nice grain, I gather that is where the "Fumo Vanguard" title comes from. My pipe has a more standard button shape so it is not as old as the one in the blog. (I'm not a fan of orific buttons).
The pipe is coming from Belgium, so I won't have it in hand for a while. Pictures below are from the eBay ad.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Nice addition to the "Oppenhiemer" collection. Beautiful shape, reminds me of the 9242. Given the lineage, might be pretty much the same pipe. You do have a way of finding the nice ones. Dutch

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
ssjones, another very pretty score. Thank you for the link to Mr. Laug's research and restoration. He works magic in his work.

lightmyfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2013
Belgium
Hi Al,
Again, congratulations on your purchase. :wink:
This one is in real great condition, with a perfect large curve.
Your parcel left the international depot yesterday, I guess that you could receive it beginning of next week. :)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@lightmyfire: Thanks for the terrific communication via eBay. I don't often buy pipes from overseas, so learning that you were a member here gives me even greater confidence and your pipe work speaks for itself. I'll let you know when she arrives here in the US.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It's a beauty! I'd love to see the mortise/tenon parts. I also see that it's got a beveled bowl edge, which is a touch I like. It looks like well made furniture. Beefy, and great tiger grained bottom going all the way through the shank.

lightmyfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2013
Belgium
newbroom > "It's a beauty! I'd love to see the mortise/tenon parts. "
936803DSCF3331.jpg

The tenon is from origin and a very thick one, it could be easily converted to 9mm or almost as a calabash.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's my GBD 9242 (New Standard). The Sina is a little "beefier". I'll do a side-by-side when I get the Sina in hand. The GBD is 48 grams vs. the Sina's 62 grams which is a few grams less than my Comoys 499, a similar shape.

lightmyfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2013
Belgium
Hi Al,

Your parcel, which I shipped on July 27, has reached yesterday morning ISC New York Sort Facility, it should get to you soon. :)

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Beautiful pipe Al, I am a big fan of the old Fat Stemmed Rhodesians. I have a fat stemmed Pete similar that is one of my favorite pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.