PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I've avoided anything with Perique in it, as it used to burn my tongue terribly. I recently (accidentally) ordered a tin of Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding, and fell in love.
I didn't even realize that it had Perique, until I looked it up on a review site. Hmmm... Maybe I've finally slowed down my cadence enough that I can smoke Perique blends.
I'm assuming the kinda sweet, kinda tart, "fruitiness" is the Perique. If so, I want to try other blends with a similar taste profile. Heck, there might be something even better than Plum Pudding out there.
What would you guys suggest that would also scratch my Perique itch if, in fact, perique is actually what I'm tasting?
Thanks in advance!

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
If your looking for perique and lat then Nightcap may suit you. Or if you want to taste plummy perique I would suggest St James Flake.

A great Latakia perique smoke is H&H Louisiana Red. The Virginias are what makes this one special. It doesn't have that oriental twang that Plum Pudding does though, but a good one that is almost similar would be Dan's Midnight Ride.

For a great plummy VaPer, I suggest Anniversary Cake. It is sweet and the perique is subtle, but it has that slight plummy flavor of the perique.
I hope this helps.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks, All.
Please keep the recommendations coming!
I think it is the plumminess that I'm attracted to. I have, early on, tried both Nightcap and Anniversary Kake. Both were unbelievably painful, but I do seem to be able to smoke things now that were a problem, then.
I have an unopened tin of Nightcap from last April. I might open it when I get home. Seems like I also have some Escudo, too. I remember that Escudo has Perique. I do not remember any "plumminess" though. Hmmm.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Lat/Perique blend I would recommend that is easy is frog on the bayou. Saint James Flake is a heavy Va/per, also don't forget Escudo.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
@Rob I don't think there's very much perique in Plum Pudding, I think it has unsweetened black cavendish in it which has kind of a perique like effect I find. I would open that tin of escudo, if you can handle that then it was your smoking technique. I had the same experience with perique in the beginning, I was smoking St. James Woods and had no idea it had perique in it as I was just a beginner, but man did I ever scorch my mouth bad with it. It did teach me how to sip proper though and now it's one of my favorite blends. But definitely don't use PP as a litmus test to if you can handle Vaper's or not. It's like using OGS as a test for Vapers.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Andy,
I'd not even considered that cavendish might be part of what I was tasting.
Anyway, I've ordered some Anniversary Kake and some Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake for a comparison. I'll open the Escudo and the Nightcap soon, so I should be able to fine tune my tastes.
Thanks all!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I really like Seattle Pipe Clubs Deception Pass for a VaPer. I liked it initially and it has grown on me as I smoke it.

But it is not going to blow your shoes off with Perique. The Turkish really mellows it out for me. This is one people either really like or do not care for.

Status
Not open for further replies.