Similar to Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
Well, aside from the obvious Lane release: I'm a bit reluctant to order a 14oz tub up here to Canada for fear of hefty duty taxes.
With winter approaching I am looking for a blend I can smoke indoors that pleases myself as well as those around me. The ERR match has been received positively here but I find it a bit thin and lacking in N. I really do like the burley nuttiness and chocolate/cocoa aroma.
I've been looking at reviews and it looks like Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake might be a good fit. Other than that I am having trouble finding out about a blend that meets the room note I'm looking for and the required nicotine level.
I like to have a bit of a rotation and Bald Headed Teacher has already won a winter spot. I didn't think I liked latakia until I tried that, now I can't put it down and I'm not getting kicked out for smoking it. Just looking for another blend agreeable to everybody in the house. Thanks for any suggestions.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
That's exactly what I was thinking, cobguy. Classic Burley Kake is a good option too. I've always said it's like a top-shelf version of PA.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I'm lucky enough to have had a tub of Prince Albert brought up to me from the States when family were visiting. I like it plenty but the wife, not so much. It's also a bit milder in nicotine than I am hoping for. It's great stuff though and I smoke it often while working outside.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Can't really think of too many others ... here's a few to check out:
Mac Baren Symphony

SG Chocolate Flake

GH Bob's Chocolate Flake

twoonefive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2014
Willow Grove, PA
pipesandpens.com
P.S. Cube Cut. I'm a big fan of the match, which I can't find at smoking pipes any longer. But PS Cube Cut is similar.
Oddly I don't find LL Ready Rubbed to be similar to either the match or PS Cube Cut.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Lane Ready Rubbed is not ERR, even though they claim they used the same formula. It's good, but from what I can tell, the OP wouldn't be satisfied by it. If he's looking for a stronger burley in that same playground, CBK and Solani Aged Burley Flake would be better suited for him. 4Noggins Moe's Confetti would, too.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
@cobguy: I've had both Chocolate Flakes before and I liked them ok. If I had to choose I think I'd go with the GH but only by a slim margin. But that MacBaren Symphony sounds interesting to me and I've put it on the shopping list.
@twoonefive: I may have a trade set up with a buddy from another forum for some PS Cube Cut so hopefully I have a chance to try it soon.
ABF is another one I haven't tried and is also in the cart @JimInks. I appreciate your reviews and insight.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for the compliment. If you are ordering from 4Noggins, try an ounce or two of Moe's Confetti. It's like a refined Prince Albert in regard to the cocoa level. You probably would find it a little too mild for you, but if you want an occasional break from the heavier ones I recommended, you may find it worth your time. Here's my Moe's Confetti review if it will help:
The chocolate notes are very much Prince Albert-like, except a little deeper taste. The burley sweetness seems more Carter Hall-like with a little nuttiness that you'd expect from a burley mixture. Easy to pack, easy to keep lit, burns evenly and consistently to the very end with no goop, and no chemical notes. If you like Solani's Aged Burley Flake, you will find this a very nice change, and I could see switching from one to the other just to keep your burley smoking life interesting. I'd say there is a little resemblance in the burley profile to several Uhle's and P&W blends, though none quite have the burley-chocolate taste that this has. The after taste pleasantly lingers and the room note is very pleasing.
MacBaren Symphony is also a good choice. It's just a little milder than Aged Burley Flake and CBK. Here's my review of it:

It's mainly burley and black cavendish with a little Virginia. I taste almost no chocolate from the burley, but I do get some of its natural sweetness, and very light nuttiness. The Virginia is a minor player in the drama, unlike the cavendish which makes its presence constantly known, and amplifies the other sweet notes. The light hay notes come from the Virginia. There's a little spice note, too, and the barest hint of honey lurking in the back ground on occasion. It burns well and even for a broken flake, and doesn't need much relighting. No goop or bitterness either. It's a good sipping blend, which I recommend doing considering the amount of burley and cavendish in the mix.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I do order from 4noggins and that Moe's Confetti sounds great as well. It's going to be a good winter trying all these blends. Thanks again!

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
CBK is quite a bit sweeter than ERR match. I also don't think it's going to satisfy your nic requirements. What I think would best suit your wants is to mix CBK with a high nic blend, the first that comes to mind is Five Brothers (but others like Brown Bogie or maybe even ODF might work OK). I'd start with a 50/50 mix and tweek from there. The combo would do two things for you; it'd tame the sweetness of CBK a little and give it some heft.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
That's a good point ericusrex. I may order a pouch of Five Brothers to add if needed. That stuff is great for a quick smoke break at work as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.