PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sunriseboy

Hullo, very new boy here. Will someone direct me to find a tobacco that may be very similar to Orlik Golden Sliced please. The chap I buy from doesn't stock this brand.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
PS Luxury Navy Flake is very similar and available readily in bulk.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
I just smoked PS Luxury Navy Flake yesterday for the first time. Not too sure it is that similar to OGS. It is worth a try no doubt, but I found the perique in LNF quite noticable. IMHO, OGS is far superior to LNF as far as flavor and quality. That said, I normally let my OGS sit for 3 years before cracking the tin, and I have only smoked a single bowl of young LNF.
Unfortunately, I have nothing to offer as a replacement blend. I normally smoke MCC, SG, and CD virginias. Maybe try exploring those virginia blends if they are available.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I agree that LNF is perhaps slightly less 'fine' as far as its presentation, but it ages every bit as good as OGS and fresh tastings of both find me leaning to the PS LNF.

I bought a 1.5 lb box of it and it got better as time went by, although it was just fine when I got it.

I liked it so much I smoked it all.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
You could always buy it online. I'm sure most of our sponsors have it at good prices.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The actual tobacco is very similar to LNF but I find that the toppings aren't close in that regard I find that LGF and Golden Sliced have very, very similar toppings although I think LGF is superior it's also twice as expensive.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a little difficult to line up a particular Virginia with another in terms of taste. I think the happy hunting ground for Virginias is McClellands, if you can order that or get it where you are. Are you in the U.S.? Can you order online without serious customs charges? If you are located where you can do so, just go to smokingpipes.com, pipesandcigars.com, 4 noggins.com, etc., and go to McClellands. You should be able to find a Virginia you like among their many offerings, though you may have to try a few sample quantities. Asking someone else to taste tobacco for you is hit or miss, always. I might have suggested PS LNF, which illustrates the point.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Will someone direct me to find a tobacco that may be very similar to Orlik Golden Sliced please
If you find one, let me know. I've been hunting for a bulk substitute for OGS for a good while now. OGS is my "all day smoke" and I go through a LOT of it. As of yet I have not found anything that's close enough for comfort as far as I'm concerned. The stokkebye's LNF and LBF aren't even close in my opinion.
I've gone through most of McClelland's offerings as well and have yet to find one that is close enough to OGS to make me happy. Red Cake 5100 has a similar "tang" to OGS, but it's also different in a lot of major ways.
On the bright side, I have found a lot of tobaccos that I enjoy while performing this search. But OGS is still my go-to blend. At least smokingpipes.com offers a discount based on quantity ordered *sigh*

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Drew Estate Gatsby Luxury Flake is kind of similar. Packed as a long flake in the same way. Here's my review if it'll help:
The flake inside the tin is one long, continuous flake that is folded to fit, and very easily breaks apart. A Virginia and cavendish blend that offers lots of citrus and a couple other fruit flavors along with some grassiness, and a hint of earth and spice. I also get a little honey. Sometimes it's like smoking honey fruit graham crackers. Reminds me of Orlik Golden Sliced in some ways, but this is just a little stronger with less citrus and a dark fruit and earth notes that OGS lacks. Not much nicotine here. The moisture level of the tobacco is perfect out of the tin, requiring no dry time. Burns at a moderate rate with a consistent creamy smooth taste with no weak, harsh or dull spots. Leaves no moisture in the bowl, and can be smoked to ashes. Has a very pleasant room note and after taste. A very comfortable all day uncomplicated smoke that wears well during your smoking day.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Fribourg & Treyer - Cut Blended Plug
Solani 633 Virginia Flake with Perique​
003-028-0008.jpg
. . . .
003-061-0004.jpg

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Tinsel, do you prefer using the OGS in rubbed out or in folded form ?
I rip a hunk out of the "wad" that's in the 100g tins and stuff it in the pipe. Not neatly folded and stuffed, but definitely not rubbed out either.
When it gets down to the end of the tin the last few bowls are usually comprised of all the little bits left over, so that's basically like I rubbed it out I guess :)
I enjoy it both ways, but the hunks ripped out of a relatively fresh tin are better, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.