Similar Blends to Peterson's Irish Flake?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I'd taken a bit of a pipe hiatus, but have recently been able to indulge again, and Irish Flake's nutty, herbal tea/anise flavor has been the only blend that has satisfied. Sad for me, I finished off the tin, and am reluctant to crack open my other 'aging' tin.
I should finally have some funds freed up in a month (having had to replace some personal gear) and I'm looking to find another burley blend that hits the spot. Stonehaven is nice, but isn't as robust as what I'm craving right now; not to mention, more arduous to obtain.
Are there any other burley blends, specifically with the herbal tea/anise quality, that anyone could suggest? I mean, I'm not opposed to stocking up on Irish Flake, but I'm always looking to broaden my horizons.
Thank you to everyone in advance!

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
Rattray's Stirling Flake is damn near identical. As Rattray Wallace is near Uni Flake.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
I love Irish Flake a lot, and have not tried the Stirling Flake. Supposedly Stirling Flake's taste is closer to what it used to be before it changed blenders' hands. But it costs roughly $1.25 more per tin vs. Irish Flake. I don't think you're going to find anything similar to Irish Flake at that price point. I would stock up on it, if you're wanting to cellar it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I would explore other Burley flakes. Particularly, Burley Flake #1 from C&D, and maybe Peterson's Perfect Plug which is partially Burley as well. I would skip Solani Aged Burley Flake as it is weakened by months spent using an Apple computer.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@ray47
I'm thinking MacBaren's Old Dark Fired may be similar.
Mix it with a tasty Burley, like Burley Flake #1, and then spray it down with anise and quite likely you'd have a good substitute!
@davet
Peterson's 3P's
Ah! By coincidence, I'm reading DaveT: A Man of Fine Discernment Regarding English Plugs, by I.M. Apocryphal. Great work.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I'm a fan of Old Dark Fired... so I'm looking forward to the other suggestions.
I think I have a tin of Peterson's 3P's hiding around here somewhere, I will have to go spelunking.
Thanks to everyone for the insights.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
S.G. Lakeland dark flake. To me it's a bit smoother of a smoke with the flavor profile your asking for. Don't be run off by the word Lakeland either. I have never detected any of the floral essence.

Status
Not open for further replies.