PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I have been working my way through the tobaccos that are easily available locally. I passed over Prince Albert and Carter Hall initially because they were so much cheaper. I went through Captain Black (love the smell, taste is blah) Borkum Riff (didn't really care for it) and went to the PA and CH based on everything I've read here. Wish I would have just started with these! So, my question is what other blends are similar to these two? Maybe something a little more refined, but in the same ballpark? Thanks in advance.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
What is it about those blends that you like? Might make it easier for people to make suggestions.
Hearth and Home has a mid-town series with matches for those. Chatham Manor and Prince Andrew have gotten good reviews.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I like that I can taste the tobacco, they seem to smoke easier, and the CH has a sweet, smokey not that brings to mind bourbon. Hope that helps, and thanks for the suggestions.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hearth and Home's Sweet Cask is also a good complimentary blend to those you have found to enjoy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
CH and PA are among the best of their kind, a little bit plain but sturdy survivors for over a century. I suggest you try something at the high end, though still mild and subtle, like Nat Sherman 536, a refined and elegant English blend that will not stress any smoker but will provide a comparison to the folksy over-the-counter blends.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Once again.. what Cortez said ^^^! If you feel like experimenting down latakia lane, start with something like Chelsea Morning. Have fun!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
There are a lot of nice tasting tobaccos to try. Those like CH and PA are easy loading, easy burning, and tasty. Very hard to beat. I like to keep a few tubs of a variety of this type on hand and smoke them all daily.

Each has its own taste and characteristics, but share in their simplicity.

The Mid Town Series by Hearth & Home is an alternative.

If I were to choose a couple of must try tins for you, they would be Escudo and Nightcap. You might as well start at the top of the VaPa and Lat ladders.

I think maybe my first bowl of Escudo resulted in my chasing the ghost. It was amazing. I'm not sure I've been as delighted since.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Thanks, everyone,for all the suggestions. I have quite a wish list at the moment!

Status
Not open for further replies.