PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
Hi all. I never had a chance to try McC's #24. I still feel as though my palate for Virginia's is immature--and so I'd thought to develop my taste more and eventually start exploring McClelland's range once I felt I'd better appreciate their complexities.
It was the drama leaf that sounded interesting to me in #24. What would you recommend? I'd celler anything now, continue educating my palate/myself--and in a couple/few more years look to try. Right now, I feel when I smoke Vs, I just don't pick up on the nuances others here talk about. So, time is my friend. Or do some folk never really 'get' Virginia blends?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Other than the secondary market and perhaps some isolated B&M's, you're not going to find it. And imho, there is nothing similar to McClelland Virginias. That not to say there aren't superb Virginias out there, they just aren't similar to the blend you mentioned.

Oct 7, 2016
Things will settle down some. Be on the lookout for their 2025 bulk, similar concept but with Xanthi instead of Drama added to the VA.
Some people whose taste buds are every bit as good as mine and who still have my affection don't "get" Virginia's, or if they do, don't prefer McClellands style. Actually, thinking back, that is a fair number of people.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I can’t help you as far as a similar blend is concerned but I can suggest something that really helped me taste Virginia’s like I never have before. Load two separate pipes, one with a Virginia of your choice and one with a blend that is very different, I prefer to smoke Latakia blends for this purpose. Light and smoke one pipe until it gets warm , then put that pipe down and start smoking the second preloaded pipe. This method really helps the flavors pop by contrast and I discover a lot of new subtleties with this method. I always smoke two pipes in one session now. It’s fun and you get more variation throughout the day. Go ahead, give it a whirl!

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I like that suggestion to smoke two pipes to get the different nuances of each. Something I'll have to try sometime! Probably need coffee beans or something to cleanse the pallet in between, at least that is how I did it when I sold cologne some time ago.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Probably not very helpful since it's also McC, but Drama Reserve in the Grand Orientals series might be similar but with more Drama.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
Great idea Hawky454! I really do want to improve my taste sensibilities--and this sounds like a simple and *enjoyable* way. Thanks!
And I'll check secondary market for a tin of #24, but right now I think prices are crazy. Hope that dies down, but hard to say. Thanks all!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
If you are just starting out smoking, I would avoid McClellands tobaccos altogether. Why chase after rare and now expensive tobaccos that you’ll never be able to get again, when your palate cannot really appreciate them now anyway? I would advise you to check out GL Pease, Samuel Gawith, Cornell & Diehl and Hearth & Home tobaccos, they each have dozens of blends to choose from and they are usually available. Train your palate with these blenders tobaccos and then, later on, if you want to go chasing unicorns, at least you will be able to appreciate each puff.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If you are just starting out smoking, I would avoid McClellands tobaccos altogether. Why chase after rare and now expensive tobaccos that you’ll never be able to get again, when your palate cannot really appreciate them now anyway? I would advise you to check out GL Pease, Samuel Gawith, Cornell & Diehl and Hearth & Home tobaccos, they each have dozens of blends to choose from and they are usually available. Train your palate with these blenders tobaccos and then, later on, if you want to go chasing unicorns, at least you will be able to appreciate each puff.
This. I can't think of any reason the prices will go down anywhere close to the original MSRP. I stocked up quite a bit of McClelland but for my own smoking purposes over time, not to sell it. So the only reason I would sell it is if the price made it where it was too attractive to pass up.
But I've also developed an appreciation for numerous other VA blends. No, they're not that similar to McClelland but they're still very enjoyable. It's past the time people have to face the facts, McClelland is gone never to return. Don't chase Unicorns at blown up prices, just enjoy other blends. SG FVF and BBF. Capstan Flake. GL Pease Union Square is nice. If you want some red VA flavor, I get it out of GLP Triple Play and Jack Knife ready rubbed or plug. Dunhill Flake is nice but it's apparently going away as well. Ask Harris for his list or find it posted on here, lots of VA flakes that are all very nice and enjoyable.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
Of all the Mclellands that I got around to trying before the apocalypse, No .24 was one that I really wanted to get more of. So when the news hit and all the blends started to vanish before our eyes I went looking for No 24 and came up empty :(

I still have one 50 gram tin, which I will cherish and smoke when its time. In the meantime, I have been enjoying Union Square and if i can even get my hands on some drama leaf at some point, I think ill add some to the Union Square and see what happens.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
No. 24 was my favorite flake of all, my heart is broken. If I'd had an inkling McClelands was to go the ghost road, I would have bought my weight in it. It was, to me the least like the other McClelland flakes. I found it had barely any of the McClelland tang to it, more akin to FVF or Wessex Dark, and the sweetness was more of a nut sweet than a sugary sweet, like an English walnut. The Drama added floral notes, with a sour and a woody/herbal note. All in all, it was a regal smoke.
As far as something like it, there is nothing unless you mix it yourself. A dark Virginia with some of the Greek or Macedonian Orientals. Izmir is sharper than what was in No. 24, but would still be tasty and easier to get. Pease has a Embarcadero, but it is a sharper, drier smoke (which never fails to leave me with a sore throat, oddly enough).

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Do what lochinvar suggests: smoke some Wessex - Campaign Dark Flake (Brigade); a killer flake that is delicious and at least as desirable No.24.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
No.24 flake is probably my favourite as well. There's just nothing quite like it now that I can think of.

herrpfeifen

Lurker
Feb 28, 2018
Were you stuck in Outer Siberia from Jan 1 to the end of February?
Not sure that's fair. The official word right up to just before the feeding frenzy was that only the red VAs were endangered.
I wish I had grabbed more Dark Star, 24, and Scottish Woods just to name a few but I prioritized the reds and didn't get around to them before the curtain.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Great idea Hawky454! I really do want to improve my taste sensibilities--and this sounds like a simple and *enjoyable* way. Thanks!

Cool, man. Lemme know how it goes for you. Sometimes (when I get the time) I like to load up to 6 different pipes and just rotate between them. If ya have a hard time catching a Nic buzz from one pipe, I can almost guarantee that 6 pipes will do the trick, plus it always keeps your senses sharp by not fatiguing the olfactory nerves with the same flavor profiles over and over.
I like that suggestion to smoke two pipes to get the different nuances of each. Something I'll have to try sometime! Probably need coffee beans or something to cleanse the pallet in between, at least that is how I did it when I sold cologne some time ago.

I'd like to hear how it goes for you, too! I always like to have a nice Earl Grey tea or coffee to cleanse my palate in between pipes.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Not sure that's fair. The official word right up to just before the feeding frenzy was that only the red VAs were endangered.

Plus, a lot of folks don't live in the forums 24 7. So yes, a lot of people were caught off guard with this one. I imagine those that don't do social networks or forums of any kind were probably really caught off guard. I really do feel bad for all the McClelland fans out there.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It was kind of a tongue in cheek comment. The smiley face I attempted to insert didn't show up. But keep in mind, he said he didn't have an inkling. Given all the posts on pipe forums since as early as January, if I had an absolute favorite blend, why wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.