PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I just ordered a Peterson Dracula 106 with a silver mounting and an Irish Harp bent apple, also with a silver mount. But are these two fitted with silver spigots or army mounts, and what is the difference?

002-029-28047.jpg

_572-600x356.jpg

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Pictures?
When you pull the stem from the pipe, what do you see? What material is on the end of the stem, what material is on the inside of the mortise (shank hole)?

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I see a picture now. That dracula appears to just be a silver band, not a military mount. A military mount allows for removal of the stem when the pipe is still hot, it is normally captured in metal on the end.
Same for the second.
I guess I'd call the dracula a spigot since the stem is not flush with the metal band, but I could be wrong in that regard.
Neither are military mounts though.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
These pipes are on order, but the second pipe appears to be just a band. My mistake, it's not anything as elaborate as a mount. The first one is where my question should be: spigot or mount?

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Beautiful pipes regardless! Enjoy them and let us know how they smoke once you receive them!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I was especially attracted to the Dracula because of especially nicely grained sanblast: my other sandblasted Draculas have a craggy, undifferentiated sandblast. But I'll let you know when they arrive!

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Some of the Dracula's I've seen have a army mount and some don't. To my eye, yours does have an army mount.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
As a rule Army Mounts have a fitting on the shank which raps around the end, Spigot mounts have fittings on both the shank and bit. Both types have a bit that is not flush with the shank and the tenon is tapered to product a compression fit. If the bit is off set at the tenon it isn't a true Army or Spigot. The top pipe could be an Army Mount but without seeing the end of the bit you can't tell for sure. The lower pipe isn't either.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
The Dracula is an Army Mount, but not a spigot. As gloucesterman said, spigots have a silver (or whatever metal) fitted on the stem and shank - basically an army mount with the added silver on the stem tenon, otherwise the same as the army mount.
The Dracula series is made in both standard fitting tenon and army mount, but is not made as a spigot.
The Harp is a standard mount (not an army mount).

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
If I understand correctly, I'm rather pleased: does this mean that the Drac stem can be easily removed while burning? Or is that an attribute of the spigot?

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Correct, you can safely remove the stem from an army mount or spigot while the pipe is still hot. Nice choices, enjoy them!

Status
Not open for further replies.