PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Any other silver coin / bullion collectors here?

I mostly buy Morgan & Peace dollars, American Silver Eagles and "Junk Coins" (Pre-1965 dimes,quarters,halves)

Lately, I've included some private mint coins as well such as the Australian Kookaburra 1 ounce round.
Here's a nice one for our Briar Brother, "TrailBoss":
molonlabe.jpg

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have a few buddies that order silver online. Last week they were showing me the 1oz silver .45acp rounds they had ordered. I guess they are made so close that they will actually fit in a 1911 pistol chamber. Personally I don't see the point but they all like them. lol

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
The past five years or so I've purchased quite a bit of silver. 80% of what I own is in the form of one ounce rounds; either buffalo rounds, rounds from sunshine mint, or silver eagles. The remaining 20% are Canadian Royal Mint bars, which if you haven't seen are really beautiful!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
@blueeyedogre: I've recently seen a 2oz round in .308 as well ... too much over spot for me though.
@buzkirk and beezer: Sounds like we are collecting similarly. It was an 1885 Morgan Dollar given to me by my grandfather that started it all. I still have that same coin after all these years!
How about those silver prices right now? Time for a bulk purchase I would say!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
...Silver American Eagles but they became too expensive as the price of silver rose.
Yeah, with the ASE's at $3.50 over spot the Morgan and Buffalo 1 oz rounds are a better buy.
There's always that "recognition" factor though.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I like to collect Morgan silver dollars and will buy silver bullion and junk coins when I can find them at a good price. My daughter who's in college has been saving up money for studying a semester abroad. For Christmas she said she just would like "cash" so she could put it towards her trip. I thought it would be fun to give her some silver bullion that she could sell later and use for her trip. One of bullion featured a teddy bear on one side and was obviously met as a gift for a child's birth. My daughter looked at it, was a little puzzled, and asked, "Dad, why do you have a 'coin' with a teddy bear on it." I replied, "Do you see where it says 'one ounce, .999 Fine Silver'"? She said, "Yes." I replied, "That's why, it's a silver bullion and doesn't matter what picture is on the surface, it's still worth its weight in silver."

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I am a big metal detector. I dont go out and buy silver coins but that is mainly what I hunt for when I detect.. I have found many over the years... Nothing more exciting than digging up an old silver coin.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
smeigs,
I agree with you, there's nothing like metal detecting for coins. My brother and I like to metal detect for coins and relics and we've had a lot of fun competing with one another over our finds. Last year in the field out front of my house he found a U.S. large cent and just yards away I found a silver piece of eight. It's always neat to find a neat coin or relic, but finding them is half the fun!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I am a big metal detector
Me too Smeigs ... mostly for gold though.

I use the White's TDI for gold hunting and their MTX for coins / relics / meteorites.
Happy Hunting!

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Glad to see some fellow detectors!! I have been using the Garrett AT Pro for a while now and have found some pretty sweet stuff! I even had my fiance dig up her ring on the beach with a metal detector! No, Im not a nerd.

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
Stacking silver and gold is my other hobby. I buy Kooks, Maples, Phils, and ASE primarily. I have a very nice collection of Morgan CC's that I have been working on for quite a while. I really like the old stuff in high grades.

Status
Not open for further replies.