PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
I hadn't found much info about this particular brand but I do know it's designed by Canadians and made in Hong Kong. The one I have is a nice little cross-cut billiard with a horn stem accent in Archer grade. Must say I love that little pipe. Only smoked it twice but it's burning my Englishes like a champ. If I find another for a good price I'll probably pick it up. No, the fit-and-finish isn't world-class but it ain't bad either.
Anybody have any more info on these pipes? Finding precious little info for a pipe that smokes like that, I wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about it.
Here's a pic, it's the top one. I'll try to get around to reporting on the other 2.
dscn3099-600x450.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never seen Silver Castle pipes before, nor did I know that Hong Kong was a contract pipe manufacturer.

They look like they have good big bowls and solid construction.

May 31, 2012
You've probably already seen this, but this Chinese shop has some good lookin' examples,
http://www.51tjz.cn/tjz/Prd_sort.asp?Tid=15&Ttid=195
...and running the text thru google translate mangles it up pretty funny, but does provide some concrete info...
Silver Castle Brand
Canadians Sam and Colin, in the design of school when they were roommates, one is an engineer, a sculptor. Two people went their separate ways after graduation, Sam engineers to find a job, Colin is obsessed with the art, after a few years, they decided to create an art studio in Quebec, Colin is responsible for creation, Sam is responsible for the idea of ​​making Colin out.
They are like smoking a pipe, but the pipe is very difficult to buy in Canada, they can only buy some of the pipe through the net. In all fighting divisions pipe their favorite teacher was Todd M. Johnson, but Todd's pipe is too expensive, even Todd's a rough pipe they can not afford. But for exquisite handmade Sam speaking, do it yourself a few to pipe to smoke is not very troublesome thing. In 2007, they participated in a New York All toll provided by the sponsor of the art exhibition, just during the time of the Chicago Pipe Show. They found Todd and to carry a few to do their own pipe showed him, Todd did not expect to get high marks, even suggested that they can become a professional chef pipe. Sam and Colin returned to Quebec, and did not mind the Todd's proposal, but because they themselves like smoking a pipe, they still will often do a few of the pipe, and then send the photos to see Todd. Todd through the network to teach them some of the pipe production experience and knowledge. Sam and Colin slowly gathered around smoking a pipe with friends, and sometimes they will do for their friends twelve pipe. Gradually, they found that doing it on the pipe to get more and more happy, in the arts, they also had some success.
2010, at a party, they met a Hong Kong art dealer, saw them do their own pipe, the people of Hong Kong said, "I can do your pipe agents." Sam and Colin pipe it to do serious discussion found: They both like to do pipe, they can earn a satisfactory money, which they have been looking for from a college career. Then they began to Hong Kong made some pipe. Sam and Colin are crazy fan of cold weapons, many of them works of art related to the Cold War era related to the pipe in considering grading, they simply used as a series of medieval arms and grade standards. Such as infantry, heavy cavalry, archers, Ranger, lords and so on. Sam is also an excellent precious metal pipes processing division so many of them are equipped with ornate silver ring, even if they also some "glory" level of pipe containing a specially crafted 925 silver gorgeous variety of small sculpture exhibit.
Sam and Colin with the first letter of their names formed the "Silver Castle" brand. Some will use a pipe on the subject of the SC ring engraved.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Troy, that translation is hilarious. ("I'll have the Shrimp in Two Style, please...")
I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of outsourcing yet another product to China. Will this fly? Maybe. But I just don't see how this is of much benefit to the industry or to the hobby as a whole.
When I first heard about this concept, I didn't like it. I still don't like it.

Aug 1, 2012
Translation was pretty funny. Thanks for pulling that for me.
Holy cow pitch. That is pretty terrible. I'm glad mine seems to be made much better than that one.

May 31, 2012
What about a how-to guide?

:wink:
Each every briarpipe lines be there are differences between each bucket and unique. It is more like a life partner rather than a standardized production of consumer goods.
Nodule in the dig, may also keep possession in wet soil or rice straw in a few months, was cut into embryos; boiling water 12-24 hours, and dry a few months, and finally mature years to ring a grains.
Go forth smoking to whip quick not like fast smoke, a burst of a few minutes to get dottle bottom is bad. Drawers must to master the bite temperature slowly then able to taste nut forest.
Suction while, will be stacking up a layer of soot. Is not too thick, you can use the pressure of the rod slightly down, get flat, and then uniform ignition. When accumulated to a certain amount, hinder burning, you can use the three-in-one tool teaspoon carefully removed, or tick the pine soot, inclined bowl, gently shake off, and then flat, ignition.
Finally, the secret of smoking a pipe calm mind is by regulating the breathing rhythm of the pipe off, so chill and peaceful, hostility eliminate populated realm of lifetime. So the pipe can be the icing on cake for the relaxed heart, you can also provide a temporary relief for existential angst.
So, try a smoke in the end, the complete flavor of the tobacco with the best products, which also contribute to the accumulation of a uniform structure of the carbon pie.
Just leave, be careful to use the tick stick residual crumbs of tobacco to pick in addition of dust, and then pipe aside, let it completely down, and then further cool clean-up.
Turn off, even for the experienced pipesmoker, but also a common thing, let alone on the novice, there is no need to fuss, re-ignition wants. Especially when pumped bowl end of difficult to do hands-point a few tempering. Opportunity to relax, practice a few times, the use of lighter fire will be getting lower and lower.
If the tobacco is off too frequently, it is necessary to slightly improve the density of pumping; grip the pipe, or to suffer in the face, that the high heat generated by the pits too fast radical. In short the best method to keep the flame state "will be extinguished".

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
That transltion is a hoot. Anyway, regarding separating the design and actual carving, didn't Ed Burak do that with The Connoisseur pipes, which are highly regarded?
hp

les

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Anyway, regarding separating the design and actual carving, didn't Ed Burak do that with The Connoisseur pipes, which are highly regarded?
Indeed. But Burak didn't send the designs to a Chinese factory to mass produce. The emphasis of the business model in this case is to produce cheap pipes. Or to produce lots of pipes, cheaply. Nothing wrong with that per se. Savinelli and Stanwell do that just fine. And I love Stanwells. But there's something about taking advantage of manipulated exchange rates and a labor force exploited by its own government (I mean China), in order to produce pipes for a few dollars less, just rubs me the wrong way. That's all.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Thanks for the how to guide. Now I know what I've been doing wrong all these years. All though that "will be extinguished" caused a brief heart palpitation for this old dog.

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
The pricing on the site didn't make since to me, 3000 yen for a Rinaldo? That's like $30! What am I missing?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mike, based on your description about the quality of the workmanship, I would think that any lower end Savinelli or Stanwell would be a much better option for anyone looking for a sub 100.00 pipe. I personally would not buy a pipe made in China as who knows what kind of stains they use as they could very well be toxic. The Chinese are notorious for using chemicals that are not safe, just look at their toy industry as an example.

Aug 1, 2012
Hell, either way I'll take this $10 pipe and smoke it happily. It smokes pretty well and the cadmium hasn't killed me yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.