PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

miller

Lurker
Aug 6, 2013
Got some silly questions, maybe. I've been smoking a pipe for a whopping 3 weeks. I started with a no name blend. I changed to S.W.Raleigh and Carter Hall. My wife decided if I was going to smoke a pipe I should smoke good tobacco. I've got a good wife. The flake she picked out came in today. She got several different ones for me to try. Did I mention I've got a good wife? All that to get to this, what lighter should I be using? What are the flavor differences between the varieties? I thought there were really only two types of "baccy", Virginia and Burley? Sorry for the ignorance. It, unlike stupidity can be cured with patient teachers and a willing pupil. Oh yeah, I, accidentally it seems, picked a type of pipe that does well for me. With today's shipment, she also got 3 more Missouri Mearschaums to go with the one I bought. At least I don't need to change that. That and the videos on loading flake were/are great. The Cube Method works well. Thanks in advance.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Welcome to the hobby, and to the forums. There aren't too many silly questions, and yours certainly don't qualify.
Congrats on having a variety of tobacco to choose from, that's outstanding. While some argue the merit/quality of the reviews, I use this site to get a basic understanding of what different tobacco blends are comprised of and of the general description of a tobacco's flavour: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/browse_all.cfm
You'll find that the forums here are truly a treasure trove of information, and I'd encourage you to use the search function, and a scan of the "Pipe Tobacco Discussion" threads for a general take on the tobaccos you have acquired.
Welcome aboard mate.
-- Pat

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
There are quite a few types, the general are Virginia's burley cavendish perq and Latika. You can get into a whole lot more detail but I'm not going to drown you in info. Tabaccoreviews.com does tell you about tobaccos, but you will also find people newer than you pretending to be experts so take that site which a grain of salt. Your best bet would be to lurk here, read old posts, and ask as many questions as you can. The people here love to share just about anything they can and you will get a lot of help! Once you smoke 2-3 bowls of a blend wrote down your initial impression, do you like it or hate it, what exactly do you like/hate? Burn hot taste bitter, do you Taste figs or campfire or anything else you can think of. Tell us what blend it was and what you think and we can give you better advice of other blends similar or different to what your smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
miller, questions are good. There are many knowledgeable pipe smokers on this sight with much useful

information, so you will get plenty of answers to your questions. Ask away. Often times, beginner questions

raise interesting issues that bear discussion by various old hands, and there are often a variety of

opinions on even basic questions. So this keeps the whole discussion lively and interesting. There are

occasionally silly questions, but seldom from beginners, and these add some lively repartee to the threads

as well.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums! Always a pleasure to greet a newcomer to the ranks. Get set for a lifetime of enjoyment.

At about this time you're already swimming in information overload. I will only suggest that you organize your

exploration of the pipe tobacco world using PipesMagazine.com's sister site, LuxuryTobaccoReviews.com, which

organizes tobaccos by category.

Check the ads online here, and visit the site sponsors listed in the left hand column. Some sell starter kits what can be useful.

miller

Lurker
Aug 6, 2013
So far I've smoked Bob's Chocolate which I love. A bowl of Gwaith's Bright CR Flake and a bowl of Lane HG-2000. Have yet to try P.Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake and Gwaith's Scotch Flake. I like the other two I've tried. I'll wait till my bag of seconds from MM comes in early next week. That way i can avoid "ghosting". I have an idea what that means even if I have not had it happen to me yet. I'm also not sure if any of these would cause that problem. I'll give them this, since I didn't order them, she did, I don't know if any are aromatics. Also, they've spoiled me. I like all of them better than the Carter Hall and SWR. I picked the CH because I remember my dad smokil it when I was a puppy and he smoked a pipe for a time. They are also helping me keep from my Marlboro habit. That's a good thing. *grins*. Thanks again for y'all's help.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Welcome to the forums!
No question is silly here I think. Better ask and be enlightened than live in the dark or have the wrong impression.
Can't add much to what the others said. Ghosting and dedicating pipes ..... I have my VA pipes, my Latakia pipes, and my Lakeland pipes. I generally do not smoke Aromatics by the American definition ( flavored Burley blends ), but when I do, I use the cobs. Some smoke everything out of the same pipes, and that's fine too. For me, that muddles the taste and I don't do it.
Incidentally, I'm puffing on some GH Scotch Flake as I type this.if you like that, and you enjoyed Bright CR as well, you will definitely like Best Brown #2, one of my personal favorites. The VA flakes and mixtures generally have a good amount of Nicotine and will help with the craving for cancer sticks. Try Dunhill Royal Yacht , McBaren VA #1 or Stokkebye VA ( makes a fine RYO as well ;) )

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Welcome to the sport! I am less than a year in and love it.
You are off and running with regard to tobacco. That is awesome.
Huge props on finding a MRS that supports your new lifestyle as well.
Take care,
~Wyf

miller

Lurker
Aug 6, 2013
Sam, yes it does. Funny thing is that the outgrowth of my starting smoking a pipe is our quest for better cigs. That has led to trying RYO to get a better product than "Phillip Morris' Finest" ie Marlboro. Again, thanks to all.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Welcome Miller. If you hang around here, you'll learn a lot about pipes, and tobaccos. It's a journey that will take a lifetime to complete. There are more choices than I can manage to sample. Sit back, light up a bowl, and enjoy the journey one bowl at a time.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Welcome, Miller
I just thought of one thing that may bear mentioning; many pipe tobaccos come out of the tin quite moist. Unlike cigars which need relatively high humidity, pipe tobacco is most often enjoyed rather dry.
When you open a tin and prepare to load your pipe, take some out (enough for a bowl) and let it sit until it dries so that when you pinch it it doesn't clump. It should kind of fall apart and not stick. This procedure will help your smoking experience quite a bit.
Good luck!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard.

It sounds like you are off to a fine start. The only thing I would add is, if you choose to use a lighter, don't use a torch lighter. Those are way too hot for a pipe, and may scorch your pipe. Personally, I'm a wooden matches kind of guy.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Welcome! You've found a great place to hang out and learn.
I use a Zippo pipe lighter with a butane insert for outside. Inside, I like matches.
Just tried the Captain Black White and found it to be very pleasurable to smoke. I learned on Lane 1Q which is one of the most popular aros in America.

miller

Lurker
Aug 6, 2013
After yesterday's smorgasboard of new tobaccos I decided I really liked the Lane HG-2000. The rest were tied for second, but all enjoyed. When I got home from work tonight, she told me she had ordered a bunch of the HG. That was a very nice thing to hear as I was puffing on a bowl of that very baccy after a crazy day at work.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Sounds like the lady is trying to help you kick the Marlboro man out. And get a sophisticated fella who smells nice and is still you.

Good. Its an adventure with lots of variety and it is one of the manly arts. I know many women smoke pipes too hell my wife does. None the less its is good and most pipe smokers I have met are very interesting folks.

Welcome aboard. Above all things relax. Ya get one go on this rock, no need in making a mess of things and being stressed.

miller

Lurker
Aug 6, 2013
loco, if you had read my current FB status, you'd know how much i agree with your last 2 bits. i'm all about low stress. older is lower stress for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.