PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
This is exquisite stuff!
The flakes are crumbly and jet black. There is the most lovely smell of bread and the spices used in pastry such as cardamon and cinnamon, as well as a high degree of fermentation, which I would call sour. The smoke is just like the aroma, with a base taste of darkness flavored as latakia. But the latakia lacks the strong smokiness so typically present. Most unusual. Strong but of the strength of Old Dark Fired rather than Dark Flake. The flavor may sound as if derived from topping, but I don't detect that.

Expensive, I paid $12.75 per tin from Iwan Ries as they were the only shop that had it; hopefully Sillem's is cooking up a new batch. Highly recommended.
It regularly astounds me how many lovely tobaccos exist. Every year I add three or four of them and awaken the desire to cellar them deeply, but resources govern that acquisivity (not a word, but I like it).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I love reading reports like this. I would never have ordered Commodore because of the Latakia content, but your description makes it worth investigating. BTW, I've always enjoyed Mayor 1814 (Va), and Councilor 1695 (VaPer)-- both pricey, but exquisite flakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.