PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Little while ago I was in the mood for something new. So, I opened a tin of Sillem's Black. I received both the Black and the Red in my last TAD.
I found it very harsh. It's a blend of Burley, black Cavendish, Virginia and Latakia.
I am going to let it sit for two weeks and try it again. If it doesn't mellow out, I might try adding a good bit of Black Cavendish to it.
Any other suggestions?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This is one blend that I've been curious about for years. It strikes me as somewhat of a mystery blend. Lot's of 4 star reviews but not available at many places. I'd let it sit for a while and try it again before altering it's footprint. The comments I've read about it don't mention any harshness at all so I'm interested to hear your comments.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I jarred mine right away as it was only in cellophane. I let it sit 6 months before trying it. My first and only bowl was very good. Latakia was only a whisper, a slight sweetness from the topping. I think I would like to let mine dry out a bit more before I smoke it again. I did not find it harsh at all

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Yup, comes wrapped in cellophane inside the tin. I opened the cellophane and loaded a pipe and it was so harsh I couldn't smoke the entire bowl. So, I emptied half into the tin and put the other half in a jar. If the tobacco in the tin doesn't mellow in two-three weeks, I'll mix in some mild light and dark Cavendish.

thefoolish

Lurker
Sep 29, 2010
Wow, I've never had that experience with this tobacco. I've never found it to be anything other than sweet and mellow.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
I'm smoking a bowl right now. I left a bowlful sit out for a day and it is much better! I think this blend will be alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.