PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

gungnir

Lurker
May 22, 2012
After reading some posts about how some tins have rusted from the outside in, after storage, I have decided to toss a few silica gel packets, which I also use for my firearms to prevent pitting, I was wondering if this would have any ill side effects to my cellar?

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
It is generally agreed that humidity level is the most important condition for cellaring. I would not tamper into that level unless I would be really forced to.
From the dangers of long term cellaring: dryness, mold, ghostling from other cellar chemicals... I think rusting of the tins is such a rarity (it may happen, but seldom, and not much, and even if it happens, it has not much significance)that I would not do it unless you have the experience that your cellar has that actual problem.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I agree, you want to keep the tobacco moist. The gel packets absorb moisture so it would dry the tobacco out to a point. Unless you are just storing your tobacco for a short period, it should keep its moisture for a long time. Also the amount of moisture in the tobacco would take a very long time for the metal to start to rust.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I'm not sure about what the packets would do to tobacco, but I have a silica packet in a drawer with a estate churchwarden that I haven't smoked yet. This probably wasn't a good idea, because the stem is now loose. I'm thinking the silica dried out the briar too much.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most tins have a foil covered paper liner, and the only time I've ever seen any rust spots was under the paper at the bottom of a tin, and it never affected the toby.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think the original question was about protecting unopened tins from developing external rust.

I think it would help to place your tins and silica packets in a large plastic storage container.

3R39-1--Rnlogo-medium.jpg

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
That is what I'm doing this week. Buying a rubber Maid bin or two and throwing my tins and jars in it with silica gel packets.
-Jason

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
What's this? Noone wants to dip their tins into liquified plastic and forever protect their allready durable tins from the outside elements?
Just how long do you guys think you're going to live?

gungnir

Lurker
May 22, 2012
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

The rubbermaid bin may be just the upgrade I need for my playmate cooler.

@baron

hahaha I'll be sure to keep that in mind :rofl:

Jan 29, 2014
When most people get a packet of silica gel in a shoe box or beef jerky packet, their instinct is to toss it. But savvy DIYers have long known that the omnipresent desiccants are good for a lot more than keeping jerky dry.

Jan 29, 2014
Silica gel is tough and hard; it is more solid than common household gels like gelatin or agar. It is a naturally occurring mineral that is purified and processed into either granular or beaded form. As a desiccant, it has an average pore size of 2.4 nanometers and has a strong affinity for water molecules. Keeping food fresh is easy with Silica gel packages. Even if you eat them, you most likely will not die. So it's a win-win! Thus, Silica gel packs keep food fresh AND won’t necessarily kill you.

+1 andreameabreill

I just read this and was wondering if anyone was going to point out that it's just a desiccant form of sand, no biggie. The worlds most common substance. The taste is ok, but their hell on your teeth. :wink: I use them everywhere here in 100% humidity Alabama. Just buy it by the box full and fill in around your tin stash. The seal on the tins will keep it from sucking the moisture out of them. If it does dry out the tobacco, the seal is bad, and your tobacco isn't aging anyway.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"I think rusting of the tins is such a rarity (it may happen, but seldom, and not much, and even if it happens, it has not much significance"
I beg to disagree. Maybe it is a "rarity," I don't know; but I've encountered it with several tins I've acquired. And "it has not much significance"? You're kidding, right? A tiny dot of rust on a tin can compromise the seal, causing the tobacco to completely dry out. While it can be rehydrated, you'll lose forever any additional topping that might have been added to the blend. Rehydrated tobacco will never taste as good as it would if that seal hadn't been lost in the first place.
Bob

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Sounds like a good idea. I live in Louisiana with high humidity levels. Where can I get silica gel packs and how many do you think I'll need for 150 lb cellar of all Glp and C&d tins. I've opened a 15 yr old tin of Chritmas cheer that was completely rusted on the inside. Don't want that to happen again, do you think the silica packs will help reduce the risk for rust on unopened Glp tins?

Status
Not open for further replies.