PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevuke79

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2016
Im pretty new to smoking a pipe. Ive smoked 5 or 6 cigars in my life and never smoked cigarettes.
I dont know if it matters that the tobacco was dryer than usual. It probably wasn't too dry bc the bowl lasted almost 1.5hrs... but i puff light and slow.
I also accidentally inhaled and coughed 2 or 3 times (i feel like thats not too much). Its also my first time smoking 4 bowls in 1 week and they were all over the last 4 days (1 bowl/day)
I got very dizzy and a little nautious.
Is that fairly normal?is it bc im not used to it?

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Simply the nicotine, sir. The spins and queasiness are normal when you over indulge. Slow your cadence down, don't worry about relights and don't be afraid to leave it if it's too strong. At this point, I smoke every bit as much for the nicotine as for the flavor, but there was a time when I could and did get the spins. No shame.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Nicotine tolerance differs among people. Many get used to it over time, but this is not so in my case. Like you, I have never been a cigarette smoker and I've had about as many cigars; however after three years of pipe smoking I still have a low tolerance for nicotine. In fact I've thrown up several times and the feeling is almost enough to give up the pipe altogether.
I've learned to put the pipe down if I feel a buzz coming on.

Reactions: aspiring_sage
Luckily, with pipes, you don't have to inhale.

The spins and carpet waves that try to rip out from under your feet are all a part of nicotine overdose, or as I like to call it, "getting off the merry-go-round." As someone more medically inclined than myself on here, pointed out that nicotine plays with blood sugars, so if you feel the gut spins coming on, or the wood flooring starts trying to buck you like an electric bull, just eat a few bites of chocolate, and it tames the beast.

Personally, I kind of like the spins, but not during the day. I prefer to save the strong blends for right before bed. It makes me sleep like a baby.

Jun 4, 2014
You were kissed by Lady Nicotine, she can make your head spin and stomach quiver when she lays a lip lock on you.

At The Briary smoking lounge, I have seen big burley strong men quietly set their cigar down and get up and go to the back of the store, only to be found latter leaning against a wall, green transparent skin, and soaking wet with water that they were splashing in their face.

It happens, and it happens to anyone, despite how tough you are.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
yes, it happened to me a couple of times, and as cosmic said, if I am in a group of people and I start to feel dizzy, I will polity excuse my self, and will then relinquish my self to the bathroom to spray tons and tons of cold water on my face and then lean on the wall for about 15 minutes to get a good grip on my self, then after the nightmare is over, I would go back to my group all macho like (with a big smile of course), and replace my bowl with a light aromatic, hoping they did not catch me getting phased by lady nicotine.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
The good thing about the Nicotine Overdose is that, as horrible as it is, it passes rather quickly. In my case, after 20 minutes of hell it feels as if nothing ever had happened.

Jan 8, 2013
Lady Nicotiana, can be a gentle lover, and a harsh mistress. She can gently caress you into relaxation, and other times put on the thigh high leather boots, and corset, and beat you into submission. Unfortunately, there is no "safe" word. And her appetite can change instantly. One moment it's a gentle kiss, and then in the blink of an eye she's slamming you back against the wall and ripping your shirt off.... this can be both fun and frightening. 8O
But every lady loves chocolate. Keep a bowl of chocolates on hand. If you feel her coming on too strong, reach for the chocolate and calm her the heck the down. :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All pretty usual. Stick with low nic blends, called mild on the online retail tobacco sites, or with one or two stars. You may develop some tolerance, but don't push it. Moderate smoking is a good idea anyway. Welcome to Forums.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Me,as a long time strong unfiltered cigarette and cigar smoker, I'm afraid of many bold and full pipetobaccos, so they are treacherous and would kill me If not taken with exterm cautious,even If do like that dark fired tobacco in cigarettes and cigars

but when I do find that leaf being a main component in any pipe blend or if I do notice there a good portion of latakia or perique in there then,

I'm gettig scary,,

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Your Nicotine tolerance will rise over time, but when starting, it makes sense to check out some easy low-Nicotine blends like Carter Hall.
As far as coughing goes, that can be triggered by smoke at the entrance to the throat, or just irritation to the mouth. Smoking slowly, as always, can help with this.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Your Nicotine tolerance will rise over time

+1

Try to smoke only on a full stomach for now. That will help

I'm a nicotine/caffeine fiend myself, but it can be a bit much for those not used to the nic bombardment

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Yep. That's the Vitamin N kicking in all right :rofl:
Don't worry. We've all been there at one point or another in our lives.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
First time I had tobacco was chewing tobacco. I was high as a kite and green sic. First time I smoked tobacco I was high as a kite and green sic. First time I smoked green I was high as a kite and laughed my ass off. I chose a strange path now that I think about it.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Damn! Are we smoking the same plant? I guess I haven't smoked enough then. When I smoked a cigarette for the first time I remember that I had a relaxing effect starting from my toes ending in my head. I still have the same feeling when I am hungry and smoking a strong cigarette. Regarding the pipes, I have never had anything like this (even when I smoked 3 bowls simultaneously) or as you guys stated (green skin). Royal Yacht didn't even tickle me. I guess I don't smoke that much, that's why. Once, after smoking a cigar I lighted a cigarette and I couldn't smoke it. I think I haven't pushed my limits yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.