PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Preben Holm or era? I'm not sure about this pipe. The only stamping is 'MADE IN DENMARK' and two letters I cannot make out because they are faint. Looks to be two I's and a S (IIS) on the faint stamping. I was told this was a Preben Holm and over 40 years old.
denmark1-1.jpg

denmark2.jpg

denmark5.jpg

denmark12.jpg

denmark4.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Here my 2 from the early 1970's.

This is a Harcourt, which was owned by Dunhill and made by Preben Holm. There is a faint PH on the bottom of the pipe.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
As I understand it Preben made a lot of pipes and under a lot of logos due to some unfortunate finance issues. I believe the IIS is one of those sub groups, perhaps a "second". He also worked under the Ben Wade banner for a while.

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
I have had a "IIS" pipe for quite some time, and the best info I could find is from Pipedia and that the "IIS" was Karl Erik....Towards the bottom of this page
But the jist of it is:
Grading and the II S problem:

KE's old grading used numbers ascending from 4 to 1. The entirely hand made one of a kind pieces were stamped "Ekstravagant". Quite simple.

But then there are the II S stamped pipes! (And furthermore seen so far II SM, I S, I M and I B.) Three fairy tales, often told:

II S stands for the initials of a pipemaker who worked for Preben Holm before he changed to KE.

II S pipes are a second brand of KE. Nonsense comparing the quality of II S and normal KE pipes!

II S was used when there was no space for stampings otherwise.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Yes, for $12 you did well :) I have definitely read somewhere else that the II S stamp was a Preben Holm second when the pipes were being made for Ben Wade? I uncovered this info, but now not sure where, when I had one of these pipes myself.
I suppose with so much conflicting info floating about online it is difficult to pin down the answer.
Anyway, I think bottom line is you have received a mighty fine freehand for your investment. :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I used to have a modest Preben Holm collection back in the late 70's, early 80's.

Very nice looking freehands, but IMO they never smoked as sweetly as other brands.

This may have had a lot to do with the stems in fashion for Danish pipes back then.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
$12.00 is a good price for any pipe from Denmark! I have three from that era, a Ben Wade, a Runstedt, and. Jobey, all allegedly made in Preben Holmes shop. They ran for about $45.00 back in the late 70's and early 80's.

Status
Not open for further replies.