PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
After acquiring my latest just yesterday and three others over the last few weeks, I've discovered I now have a seven day set of these unstained beauties. In order from oldest to newest (left to right since my photo turned sideways) are all of my unfinished pipes. Interestingly, some of the newest are darkening faster than the old.
Savinelli full bent

Nording Signature Freehand

Savinelli 320

Savinelli Noce 320

Savinelli 320

Stanwell Authentic 15

Stanwell Authentic 139 smoked for the first time last night.
20180224_004516-600x449.jpg

So let's see everyone else's! :puffy:

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
I think the 320 will be my next unfinished. Notice the lighter wood color of the Stanwell's as compared to the Sav's..Almost like Red Oak ( Sav's ) and Ash ( Stanwell )....Very interesting..........

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I have technically two unfinished pipes. I know that you weren't looking for cobs, but it is unfinished. My wife bought the Sav. bent pot by herself, and had smoked it a few times before I got to look at it. I wasn't too happy with the fills, and the drilling looks to be double drilled. Oh well, doesn't hurt to have an open draw. We've been smoking this for almost a year and it's darkened up nicely. Oddly the fills, one is not visible in the photo, both got darker around the edges.
The cob I bought online about a year ago was unsmoked and was supposed to be some special edition as it came with a red metal cap and a forever stem. It has not colored at all as near as I can tell, but this is the first unfinished cob I've bought and I'm not sure it they're supposed to color much. It smokes great as expected and I love the forever stem.
img_0313-600x450.jpg

img_0314-600x450.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Notice the lighter wood color of the Stanwell's as compared to the Sav's..Almost like Red Oak ( Sav's ) and Ash ( Stanwell )....Very interesting..........
They all looked about like the Stanwells at one point, which are coloring nicely already. The last Stanwell only had one smoke through it. The other one is quite large so I imagine it won't color as quickly. But eventually, I'm sure they'll all look about like the Nording does now. The darker Sav 320 is darkening extreme quickly. It's only a few weeks old and had about 7 or 8 smokes.
John, yours is looking nice. You're too, Orley.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
Orley I have the same Sav. Bent Pot (except for the double drilling)....Good smoker, took a while to break in though. The 320 is next for me.....

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Are those Savinellis 6mm or 9mm (or not filtered at all)?

I've been looking at some unfinished ones and found a bunch on the Pipe Nook (I think), but they are 9mm.

For the sake of being lazy, it'd be better for me if they were 6mm.

Jan 8, 2013
Are those Savinellis 6mm or 9mm (or not filtered at all)?
The Series III,Grezza,Unfinished or whatever they're called at the time are unfiltered. The Noce is actually a higher end Savinelli and is 9mms filtered. I just don't use the filters.
Al, I keep meaning to try one of those Talberts. How are they?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great row of once-unfinished pipes. My oldest are a Savinelli 404 and a Sav billiard. More recent are a Sav bent Dublin and a Sav billiard panel. Something about an unfinished pipe just seems to burn especially evenly, cool, and completely. Even if unfinished don't appeal to you visually, I'd get one just for the experience of seeing it turn a golden walnut color, or something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.