Show Us Your Christmas Gifts 2018

(39 posts)
  • Started 6 months ago by Cosmic
  • Latest reply from The Pipe Monk
  1. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope you all have had a blessed Christmas. I have spent yesterday, with the company of all 6 of my kids ranging from 29 to 14, and I have just been beaming with joy watching these kids all set around and bond and argue and plot with one another.
    My wife gave me a new Talamona hat is from the entire family, but I think she did the picking out. Whereas I would only go for something in the bulldog or dublin family, she always likes to give me pipe shapes that aren't in the range of what I collect, ha ha. But, I enjoy the diversity her selections have added to my collection. Skip's influence is that it's a Talamno, hand made Italian pipe by Paolo Croci.

And, my step-sons got together and got me a new humidor and a cigar cutter/tray set. And, I got a few new sticks to use with it and a journal to record my tobacco exploits.

I hope Santa has been good to you all this year. I got enough coal to fuel my chiminea, so I am thankful that my family chipped in to make my day brighter... and didn't just give me the obligatory new tie and golf balls. Although... a new tie...

Stay warm, spread the love, and have a Merry one... Show us your pipes, or cigar, or 'heck' just show us a picture of any old thing you might have gotten for Christmas.

Michael
    Posted 6 months ago #
  2. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got myself this for my Christmas present. Castello, Old Sea Rock, G 75, with some interesting rustication. Looks like they were trying to make it look sandblasted by following the grain in spots. Fairly large pipe, but only weighs 45g.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 6 months ago #
  3. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lovely items boys, my main package(s) is still coming upon to me, it is obvious our mailing services can't accomplish their duties the way they did a few years ago.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 6 months ago #
  4. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suffered an unanticipated and mysterious bout of PAD. I bought myself two of Wyfbane's pipes for sale, the #7, 2015 Dunhill Cumberland 5106 and the #17, Cristiano Dublin.

Not sure why, but some times, the universe demands these actions without explanation. So, Merry Christmas to me...

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 6 months ago #
  5. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

I love a Lovat, congrats!

Posted 6 months ago #
  6. eggrollpiper

eggrollpiper

Login to Send PM

My wife got me a Strambach Octo Zebra with Cumberland stem 9mm which I've been looking at for a couple years by now. Trying to decide when and what to break it in with, big decisions...

Posted 6 months ago #
  7. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got my generous pipe tobacco gift from secret Santa, my wife got me a new temperature controlled humidor which I posted under another thread, my brother and his wife got me 10 lbs of king crab, and my niece and nephew pooled their money together and got me a bottle of Yellow Spot Irish whiskey.

A pretty dang good haul!

Posted 6 months ago #
  8. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought myself this little Castello billiard. It's my new favorite pipe I believe.

Tim
    Posted 6 months ago #
  9. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

Gifts

I could't figure out why my wife was getting upset with me for buying some pipes. Now I know. She didn't want me buying any like the ones she was getting me.

Posted 6 months ago #
  10. chilllucky

chilllucky

Login to Send PM

I pulled the trigger on a rabbit air cleaner/smoke eater so ai can smoke at home in months when open windows are not such a good idea.

Posted 6 months ago #
  11. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been pinning away for a pipe made by a Master carver, Ron Powell of RdPipes.
    Well, Ron took pity on me...didn't want to hear or see an old man cry and moan and sit looking wistfully off in to the distance dreaming about what would make life more perfect than it is already.

He sent me a message to look in my mailbox...it was Sunday evening about 8PM. My mailbox is a couple hundred feet down a dirt road...no tellin' what is hiding in the woods ready to pounce.

So, I went down to my mailbox, flashlight in hand, open my mailbox and sure enough...there was a box in it...from Ron.

Skipped up to the house, damn near fell on my face a few times (I'm not that coordinated), hollered for my wife and puppy (Yes, she is included in everything). Opened the box and there it was...my dream come true.

I take lousy pictures and these don't do it nearly any justice but here goes.....

Posted 6 months ago #
  12. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm in LOVE!!!! Yes, it smokes as good as it looks!!
    I can't thank Ron enough....He also sent me over 2oz. of Stonehaven to break it in with.
    Ron is lucky that he lives in Texas and not where I live...I'd be slobbering all over him in gratitude.
    Ron has made my Christmas one that I'll never forget.....He's the MAN!

Posted 6 months ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sweet pipes... and gifts.

Posted 6 months ago #
  14. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My brother in law and my sister went to Ireland a couple months ago. They brought me back a really cool pocket watch that they gave me on Thanksgiving. What they didn't tell me is that they also stopped in at Peterson of Dublin and brought me back a Clontarf XL21. I always overlook these when I'm looking at Petersons online because... well they don't look good to me in the photos I've seen. But this thing is fantastic! Some really nice grain, drilled straight. Plus it's actually my first ever bulldog. It's also the first Pete I've had that took a filter (which I won't use). I'm going to give these a much closer look from now on. I'll try and get photos up tomorrow.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 6 months ago #
  15. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good gifts, guys. I got two tins of OpusX Robustos, two OpusX Double Coronas, two LFD DL 700, and a 4-four pack of Alec Bradley cigars.

Posted 6 months ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just one pipe related gift this year, a Peterson B10 Rocky Donegal Calabash rusticated. I was worried about the rustication and didn't want the P-Lip, but it is fishtail, and the rustication is, to my eye, first rate. I'm a happy camper. I'll probably fire it up tomorrow. I like the briar Calabash shape added to my rotation.

Posted 6 months ago #
  17. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Mrs. Cortez (aka Shoe Lady) popped for a meer by Ismail Baglan that was on my list.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 6 months ago #
  18. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No pipe related gifts this year save the secret Santa exchange. I got a nice tobacco pouch, some pipe cleaners, a tin of Germains Brown Flake, and a nice tin of Christmas Cheer.

My real gift was making a nice turkey dinner for 11 family members. That moment when you sit down to the meal at the head of the table, everyone smiling, yeah it was pretty good.

Posted 6 months ago #
  19. pipehunter

pipehunter

Login to Send PM

New pipe for Christmas. Generally, I prefer traditional shapes, but I really liked this one. And I really like Ib Berggreen's work, both in pipes and as the former senior designer for LEGO.

Posted 6 months ago #
  20. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike, that's the best gift!!

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 6 months ago #
  21. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

Here's a couple gifts I bought for myself after receiving a larger-than-anticipated annual bonus at work:

I also got a Savinelli 321 Christmas Pipe from Mrs. Lawdawg but I didn't take a picture of it. Looks good and smokes great though!

Posted 6 months ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What a terrific array of gifts! All the pipes are striking; that Lego pipe is an eye-popper. I forgot another pipe gift, in addition to my Peterson Calabash B10. My sister sent me an elegant pipe pin based on the painting "This Is Not A Pipe," from the Art Institute of Chicago gift shop. Now I need to decide which hat or lapel suits it best. It might make me some face-to-face pipe acquaintances in the right situations, and would be great to wear to the TAPS pipe show here in April. Oh, and that single malt, I can almost taste it.

Posted 6 months ago #
  23. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

Was given a 2018 Peterson St. Patrick's day pipe and a 2017 Peterson Christmas pipe.

“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
    Posted 6 months ago #
  24. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I bought this Bruce Weaver strawberry burl billiard last Summer to smoke on Christmas day, but seeing as how this will likely be the last unsmoked Weaver pipe I get my hands on, it will likely stay that way. I did get a fifth bottle of RumChata that is nearly gone now though.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 6 months ago #
  25. dante

dante

Login to Send PM

Savinelli 311 KS Saint Nicholas 2017

Vintage tobacco tins Balkan Sobranie (Empty) Baby's Bottom (Full but open) Union Leader (Unopened) Mohawk (Open Sampler)

Posted 6 months ago #
  26. bouwser

bouwser

Login to Send PM

My wife had this box made for me. It is incredibly well made and will be a great storage place and drying surface for tobacco. The top slides out to reveal storage.

Posted 6 months ago #
  27. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's the new Peterson XL21 that came to Texas straight from the Peterson Of Dublin shop in Dublin, Ireland via my sister and brother in law.

I was going to wait to smoke it on New Years Eve, but I'm smoking it now. Obviously I don't have the patience of Embers

Posted 6 months ago #
  28. kaleehb

kaleehb

Login to Send PM

I purchase a Savinelli Oceana rusticated bulldog for myself this year. Great smoker and beautiful pipe. Cheers!

Posted 6 months ago #
  29. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got a knitted sweater by a local designer who also happens to be a dear friend of mine from my lady. My brother gave me a bottle of homemade vintage schnapps made by his in-laws. My parents bought me three books: one by Ken Follett, one by Jan Guillou, a swedish author I admire, and one a collection of poems by one of my country's greatest poets.
    I bought myself two 100g tins of Hal o' the Wynd, a 50g tin of Old Gowrie (haven't tried that one yet), 4x50g of Royal Yacht and a 50g tin of Modern Virginia (also new to me).
    The best part of this years christmas was celebrating with my little girls of 3 and 4, who are suddenly understanding what is going on and appreciating time with the family, the food, the gifts and everything.
    We have a tradition of going to the graveyard to visit my grandmother on christmas. The older girl stated "I love great-grandmothers!" and hugged the gravestone. She also loves everything else and hugs and kisses the world entire. It made me glad.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  30. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Imperial Tobacco "Pipes of the World" (1927) tobacco card series from my 16-year old son. Complete surprise. I think they're really cool. (There are lots of reproductions of this set out there, but these appear to be originals.)

Posted 6 months ago #
  31. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No pipes or fishing gear this year. My wife got me an instant pot since my crock pot died. Also a new iPad and some old spice. I got some Christmas money early and picked up a bottle of macallen double cask, glenroth’s bourbon cask reserve and a 12 ounce can of captain black royal. The in-laws gave me $100 and got some gift cards that are yet to be spent. I’m thinking more scotch and my annual fishing license? Fantastic Christmas all said and done.

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  32. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice XL21 Anthony. I got a St. Patrick's estate about a year ago, and I really like the dimensions. Smokes real nice. Enjoy.

No pipe gear for the Hobbit this year; our goal was to "do" more and "buy" less. We did exchange small gifts, and sadly our "do" plans were stifled courtesy of the flu (thanks useless vaccination).

I hope all of you enjoyed your Christmas and that you'll have a prosperous 2019.

Dave "Black Frigate Stowaway"
    Posted 6 months ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

hoppes

Login to Send PM

Found this on Ebay just before Christmas. Wasn't familiar with Mr. Weinberger until I did some heavy investigation. Thought for $23 I'd buy it as a present to the collection. It went for that price because it had a bent and broken tenon.Who could I get to fix it? Why not send it to Mark Tinsky since he worked for Mr.Weinberger and may have actually had a hand in building the very pipe. Just got it back with a new tenon---some cleaning and polishing of the 14K gold band and voila, looks pretty good.( Mark assures me that he wouldn't have made this one but maybe his friend Curt Roller did!) Belated Merry Christmas to everyone and a Happy New Year ! Hoppes

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Posted 6 months ago #
  34. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here are mine.

Peterson: Christmas 2018 Sandblasted (606) Fishtail

Tsuge Ikebana Sandblasted Cherrywood with Plateau (Kikuchi) (076) (2016)

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  35. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just another day I was gifted a full 0.7l bottle of Islay Single Malt Whiskeys of Ardbeg,and today, when I'm taking a look at this very bottle I notice, is half emptied, starting to hate myself even more.

Posted 6 months ago #
  36. ugh457

ugh457

Login to Send PM

Looks like everyone managed a cool gift or two...
    I was a good enough boy to get these for Christmas ...

Before the holidays, my wife and I went over to Niagara Falls NY for the weekend. There were a few gifts for others we needed to pick up. I took advantage of the "personal exemption" for 48 hours or more, brought back a tin of 'Jolly Ole St. Nicholas', Three Nuns 'Orange' and Haunted Bookshop.

Posted 6 months ago #
  37. bwhiteside

bwhiteside

Login to Send PM

My dear wife gave me a beautiful Peterson Sherlock Holmes Deerstalker Natural with p-lip. It’s my first Peterson, and i’m finding it to be a great smoking pipe. Still getting used to the p-lip though. Will post pictures after I get home from the holidays.

Posted 6 months ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

Wife bought me the Servi Meershaum that I've been eyeing for several months! This is my very first meer, and I didn't know quite what to expect. It smokes so nice that I haven't touched any of my briar pipes since Christmas Day. I can taste so much more from my favorite blends, and there has been absolutely no ghosting or sour flavor development.

Posted 6 months ago #
  39. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Paul We don't have it in India but try Ardbeg Uigeadail. Its supposed to be much better than the regular one.

Cheers,
    Chris

Posted 6 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   danish, kenbarnes, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper