PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I don't own a pipe of this shape class and have recently had a guy ask me to make him one. I would love to see what you guys have. Show us your Devil Anse Pipes!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
psychpipes, that's way better than the pipe on the TV series, that really elegant band and stem. Nice shape

too. Nice job. I like the burning tobacco a little further from my nostrils, I admit. But I can see the advantage,

if you clench all the time, of having less leverage against your teeth. The pipe on the series was made to look

pretty basic and rough, as I recall.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
@mso The one Costner smoked was definitely rougher than the one I had made. I have a tendency to favor more ostentatious pipes. I like colorful acrylic stems with inlays and bands that pop out. Definitely not the style of Mr. Anse. I think Eric did a really great job replicating the shape. I probably have the most fanciful version of the pipe to come out of his shop. I enjoy the stubby cutty shape of the pipe. The fair sized bowl lets me have a longer smoke without the weight of a standard sized pipe. It is great for clenching. I too do not like smoke from the bowl going up my nose, and I'll admit that in the car I have to clench on my left so the wind from the windows doesn't send the smoke right up there.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
A matched set of black sandblasted Anses made by Eric Paulson. Great little pipe but I think the next ones I order I'll ask for a bit smaller chamber so it has a little more wall and a short smoke. Light weight, perfect draw, clenches easy and sits in the hand perfect. Its also great for hunting cause I can shoot my old .22 without taking it out of my mouth. If that ain't Devil Anse I don't know what is!

790BC39B-E45C-412F-B41E-5BFB2DB4ACA0_zpsiivaiw7g.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
These are awesome. I haven't seen the show yet, but I really like the shape. Looks to me like it would make a good walking/hiking pipe. Keep 'em coming gents, I'm enjoying this thread.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Those Paulson's are sweet! Right on daylight they do make great walking pipes.

Jan 8, 2013
It's the shape, same shape Kevin Costner smoked while playing William "Devil Anse" Hatfield in the Hatfields and McCoys miniseries.
Edit: Stubby cutty, more or less, but the shape essentially originated with that pipe, and has taken on the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.