PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I could not find a thread for the smashing Italian maker, so I started this one because Becker's are fantastic smokers! Mine is a humble rusticated bent apple and I love it, but I know there are some of you who have hearts, clubs and even flushes. Let's see them!
e4219-1-600x450.jpg

e4219-2-600x450.jpg

e4219-3-600x450.jpg

e4219-5-600x450.jpg

e4219-6-600x450.jpg

e4219-9-600x450.jpg

e4219-8-600x450.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's such a German name for a pipe made in Italy, but the originator was an Austrian Jew who migrated to Italy, and now there is the third generation carving the pipes. It's a cosmopolitan brand.

Reactions: obc83 and Puffhead

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I have owned three relatively new Beckers. A three and four clubs. I love, love, love how they look but I ended up trading 2 as they both whistled constantly and the stems were too thick. Of course, the other one I dropped on the first day I owned it and, no fault of the pipe, it snapped right in two. Still, they are aesthetically truly beautiful.

Puffhead

Lurker
Mar 27, 2021
British Columbia
I have owned three relatively new Beckers. A three and four clubs. I love, love, love how they look but I ended up trading 2 as they both whistled constantly and the stems were too thick. Of course, the other one I dropped on the first day I owned it and, no fault of the pipe, it snapped right in two. Still, they are aesthetically truly beautiful.
Mine smoked great this afternoon but I did have a little of a time figuring out the way it was going to clench best. It's a heavier one, 70g, so it was not intended to be a daily clencher but I get where you're coming from. Good thing it felt amazing in the hand. It will be a great evening sitter for me!

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Reactions: Steddy

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Picked up this Becker at GatlinBurlier in Gatlinburg TN. Any help identifying a time period would be greatly appreciated. The small stamp says Italy. It also has an acrylic stem, no filter. View attachment 239988View attachment 239989View attachment 239990
I’m no Becker expert, but the rustication and the nomenclature appear to be from the era of the father, Fritz Becker. His rusticating skills were very unique and that looks like his handiwork. Very nice pipe, BTW.

Edit: Also, the logo on the stem is a larger “b” than is used today, which is another good indicator of its age.

• Love
Reactions: Steddy and PaulRVA

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've had 3 Fritz/Paolo era Beckers that were terrific pipes.

I had one Federico era that looked terrific but my goodness that stem was a chunker.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
I’m no Becker expert, but the rustication and the nomenclature appear to be from the era of the father, Fritz Becker. His rusticating skills were very unique and that looks like his handiwork. Very nice pipe, BTW.

Edit: Also, the logo on the stem is a larger “b” than is used today, which is another good indicator of its age.
Wow, thank you for the reply. I haven’t smoked it yet but I take it out to look at and hold. Feels light in hand and it passes a pipe cleaner like butter.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
When Fritz was alive quality control was top notch. After he passed and Paolo became sick, things became a little spotty. Between the fathers insistence on quality and the sons eye for aesthetics, there was a period of unmatched ‘form following function’ coming out of their studio. Here are some i have owned:
IMG_5480.jpeg
Fritz Becker Olephant

IMG_1469.jpeg
Paolo Becker Morta Dublin

IMG_0185.jpeg
Fritz Becker Pot

And I have a Paolo Becker Strawberry Wood bent billiard that I have not photographed. I love the line and I love the family history behind this brand and will always have an example of their work in my collection.