PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Right you lot! Since I have to be up early and on my way to the NJ office I thought I would post something in the meerschaum section of the forum as the midget hurling/sex with midgets section appears to be under moderator lock down. I always seem to be quite diligent about posting pictures of my pipes including new acquisitions so I thought it was time everyone else 'put up' and posted some pictures of what they are smoking in meerschaum world. If I think you have made a sufficient effort I will reward you all with a couple of exciting pictures of not one but two super 'cutty' pipe style amber stemmed meerschaum I picked up this week and all for under $50 a pipe.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
DA62A93F-3893-4FC1-969E-5E7F2E20C76C-44998-0000523720F61FAA_zps80730474.jpg
Old, it intrigued me , very light and a fine smoker. Look at the tounge.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Very nice pipes gentlemen! I love the elephant one Brad. Sort of reminds me of my old party trick when you pulled your trouser pockets out for the elephants ears and unzipped your zipper …….. never mind I am sure you get the general idea! :lol:

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
How old are we looking at? I have one Meet that is 30 and 3 others about 27 years. I will get a couple of pics and figure out how t post them.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
The. Pipe in my avatar is one of the 25 years old it is part of a set of Holmes and Watson.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
19th Century silver chased GAR presentation meerschaum. From Co. H 7th Mich. Cav. to Capt. Richard Douglass. The center portion of the name has rubbed off, but there's enough there to attribute it.
GARPresentationMeer1_zps3922c2c6.jpg

GARPresentationMeer3_zpsb7ad4319.jpg

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Wow! Xrundog, have you done any research on Capt. Douglass? A lot of presentations were made around 1900 ( lots of anniversary celebrations). I wonder if Douglass was presented with it then or sometime before that?

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Yeah I poked around a bit. I know he died in the 19 aughts and that he attended a reunion. I don't have a date on the reunion. But the pipe has been smoked a lot. My guess is that it was probably a 25th reunion in 1889 or so. That would be about right for the look of the pipe. And it gave him enough time to smoke the heck out of it before he died. This pipe plainly saw a lot of use.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Makes sense. He was probably proud of his war record, liked to be seen with it and smoked it a lot.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@xrundog Thank you - just the tip of the iceburg when it comes to my 'cutty' collection as I pick up one or two new ones a month!

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Thanks for the compliment ae1pt. It's Bakelite for sure. I've had enough of the different types of stems to be able to tell the difference. But I don't mind revising the date up a bit on this pipe. It's really a rough estimate. Supposedly pipes under the CPF banner ceased production in 1915. And yet I've had more than a few of them with Bakelite stems stamped as Bakelite pipes. So once Bakelite started being used for stems, it must have been used a lot. Also, and I may be wrong about this, it seems like by the late 20s early 30s most manufacturers were using slotted bits. It also seems like the use of the cherry Bakelite went out of fashion around that time. So all of my Bakelite pipes that have the red stems have the orificial bit. Because of that I've usually dated them as teens-20s pipes. The few ads I've seen for Redmanol or Bakleite pipes always date to the teens or 20s. Of course there might be a lot of others I just haven't seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.