Show of Hands: How Many Here Work in Front of a Computer?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Just curious.
I have been using computers professionally for over 30 years. Some parts of my career were spent traveling and teaching people, other times spent sitting in front of a computer all day (doing that for about 20 years).
And even though I exercise when I can, it's taking it's toll, physically speaking. They say people who sit for extended periods have a reduced life span and I am beginning to believe it.
But it does allow me to check the forums during the day. :puffy:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I spend about 2/3rds my day in front of a computer, I run a college campus print center and the post office. I do have the freedom to move around as needed. I used to be chained to a desk in my former job.
-Jason

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I spend about 2/3rds my day in front of a computer
That's ideal. You need a reason to move around. Unfortunately, everything I do during the day requires a computer.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I have been in front of a computer for 8 hours or more every week day for 12 years. I work in the computer aided drafting department of an engineering firm. I agree with you, sitting all day is detrimental to your health. Your eyes, hands, wrists, neck and lower back get the most wear and tear but I think being nearly motionless all day is bad for your metabolism and mental health. I am very active during my time off and exercise often but sometimes I feel like I am just pushing mud uphill. I never seem to have the energy and good health I had before getting a desk job.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I should spend about half my day at the computer, but I usually end up having to pickup/deliver/warehouse. I make it up for it by spending the whole evening in front of the home computer!

kinny141

Lurker
Jan 10, 2013
Yep, I check on here about every hour or so... I.T. work at a hospital has its perks.

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
Probably half the day. The rest is spent working with horses, and try to hit the gym 3x a week. Used to fly jets - which IS sitting in front of a computer all day.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
What jets did you fly, hunter?
PS Oh and, to answer the original question: all day every day, all evening and weekends; I begrudge food and sleep - frontier of human knowledge.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I sit in front of a computer for 8 or 9 hours everyday for work. Have regular meetings which break up the day, but those are usually in a room with others staring at a projector. I am usually on the forum off and on all day.

seanlamb63

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 20, 2013
Bethlehem
Between my Historian work and account manager / tobacconist position, all I look for 8-12 hours a day is a computer screen...could be worse though.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Some days (today) I'll be in my office at the computer working about 1/2 to 3/4 of the day, other days I don't even turn it on...depends on whats happening in the field at whatever project I'm at. Currently it's a hospital kitchen renovation, also currently dead in the water waiting for abatement, so I have some thumb twidling time..have a gym in my gameroom, small but enough, so I get to work out about 3 or 4 days a week then follow it with scotch and a pipewhile I watch sportscenter.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Started in 1975 at PITT and CMU and have been programming and gaming since. Ran an Internet/Software company in the 90's. I closed up shop in 2001 and have just been gaming and chatting since, but looks like I'm getting pulled back in with the upcoming gray market. This will also allow me to spend more time with one of my sons who has chosen programming for a living. I've also taken up screenwriting for the last 4 years and all the networking that goes with that, so I spend about 8-12 hours a day on the computer reading, writing, chatting, networking watching movies and gaming *sigh* ;)
Craig

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Yes, I spend about 6-7 hours a day researching, reading, writing, and performing economic calculations. Some days I get to file lots of papers. (!)
However, I'll be going back to school in Aug and then will likely spend much more time teaching (I have a teaching assistantship). Then I plan to hire someone else to sit in front of a computer all day for me, lol!
I set my alarm for every hour and get up and move when it goes off.
That's a good idea. I like to take a little break every hour or so, especially after reading a lot...just look out the window or something for a minute.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
I have a laptop stand at work and a counter-height desk at home. That way if I feel like I'm sitting too long while working I can stand up. However, I haven't gotten to the gym in awhile and feel fatter. It's amazing how much difference just going to the gym makes...

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I am a purchaser, so I spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week in front of a computer. I used to spend a few hours every night on a computer as well, but I have been cutting that back lately. Hope to do some mountain biking, hiking/camping as well as travelling this coming summer. Curretnly in the process of buying a new place and packing up to move, so that keeps me off the computer as well.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
counter-height desk at home. That way if I feel like I'm sitting too long while working I can stand up.
My wife has this type of set up in her home office (she works from home). It is the ideal set up if you can do it. I am tied to a traditional desk and really awful "executive" chair.
My company does not have it in the budget to buy me a decent chair, I may just have to buy one for myself.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Yeah. At work I have a normal desk. But, I invested in this adjustable computer stand. I'll try to take a picture of it. I can have it at desk level or I can raise it up to counter height and I also can angle it to help with hand position. If I think of it, I'll take a picture for you. It's really handy. I roll it up next to my desk and stand up... I don't know if that would help you. It wasn't very expensive for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.