PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Rather than PM this, I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else wanted to give a thumbs-up/thumbs-down to any of these ideas.
Interviews with . . .

Richard C. Hacker, author of the highly influential 1980s book The Ultimate Pipe Book

William Serad, prolific pipe-tobacco reviewer and blender

The owners of McCranie's, about whom I've heard very little (maybe focusing on their dated Virginia releases)

The managers of some of the country's outstanding pipe shops: the original Tinder Box (Santa Monica, CA), UPTown's Smoke Shop (Nashville, TN), Iwan Ries (Chicago), Jon's Pipe Shop (a personal favorite of mine, Champaign, IL), Barclay-Rex (New York City), etc.
A series on "How to Taste" (maybe with Brian alone, maybe with guests) that could focus on a particular style of tobacco each week, highlighting several blends that exemplify that style (English, Balkan, Scottish, Virginia Flake, VA/burley flake, etc.) and walking pipe smokers through the best way to discover everything a particular blend or style has to offer. This could also focus on particular types of tobaccos, highlighting several blends, say, that really showcase certain oriental flavors or that help you discern the differences between Red Virginias and other varieties. . .
A 2-3-minute segment called "Cellar or Smoke?" that takes a really quick look at a couple of different blends each week and offers a reviewer's opinion on whether these are blends to enjoy now or blends that are likely to improve with age. (Because, frankly, not everything is better with age.) Maybe it would also include a review of an aged blend that listeners might have rattling around in their cellars, discussing whether it's reaching (or has reached) its peak or whether it will likely improve with further aging.
Just a few thoughts. . .
Bob

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Bob,
We have actually had some of these interviewees and topics on our list for a little while now.
I can't promise we will do all of them, but we will most likely do some of them, and do variations on some as well.
Thanks again for the feedback. Keep it coming!

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
It would be interesting to have a show about estate pipe purchases, what to look for, questions to ask, what are the red flag signs that a pipe might have issues.

englishdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Denver, CO
I'd like to add a +1 to rmbittner's suggestions for:
Interview with Richard Carleton Hacker. His Ultimate Pipe Book was my go-to bible and only source of information when I started smoking pipes in college.
Cellar or Smoke is a wonderful idea, especially now that so many great tobaccos are available.
Recommendations on representative blends of "English", "Virginia", etc. would also be very helpful. Perhaps with input form the blenders, and what they compare to. As mentioned above, there are so many great tobaccos, and not enough time to try them all...

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
My favorite part of the shows are the interviews. One colorful character in our community is Marty Pulver. Any thoughts about an interview with him?

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I'd love to hear a show about perique along with an appropriate interview of the main producer still making it for us pipe folks.
Thanks,

Keep 'em coming!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
This may be impossible -- and it would have to be pre-recorded, given the time difference -- but I would love to hear an interview with someone from Esoterica/Germain. Their blends are so beloved here, their traditions so old, that I think it would be fascinating to get a glimpse behind the scenes of this small but highly regarded company.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
This may be impossible -- and it would have to be pre-recorded, given the time difference -- but I would love to hear an interview with someone from Esoterica/Germain. Their blends are so beloved here, their traditions so old, that I think it would be fascinating to get a glimpse behind the scenes of this small but highly regarded company.
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.