Shouldn't It Be Habituated, Not Addicted?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
Isn't "addicted" defined by physical symptoms when quitting and adverse effects on work, relationships and the like? Habituated as I recall is psychological effects when quitting. Quitting cigarettes doesn't give you the shakes and sweats or anything physical that I know of, but psychological "cravings" and so forth - well, yes. So, isn't "addiction" kind of a sloppy propaganda word applied to smokers cause it sounds more nasty? That's what it seems to me. So. Just say'n.
Plugugly

I can only speak for myself, but I went through periods of sweats, not being able to control my thoughts, and headaches when quitting cigarettes. I was in the most foul of moods for weeks.

I can go periods of time (up to one month) without my pipe or any tobacco, but on that first few days, it's all I can think of. Being sick helps me go periods without my pipe, but as soon as I can, I am back to back to back bowls throughout the day. It's not the same as with cigarettes, but I can definitely tell that I "need" the nicotine.
This comes up often. Is it a medical definition, or a laymen term we use? I am not in the medical field, and could care less what the doctors say... if it is contrary to what I think, ha ha. All I know is if I don;t get my morning pipe with my coffee, some poor sumabich is going to get their ass in a sling before the end of the day.
I'll let the scientist hash out the specifics for what happens to the rats in their mazes. For me, I know how I feel. If someone else is not addicted, or says they're not, then there's really not much I can do about that.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
adverse effects on work, relationships and the like
Tobacco can certainly affect work and relationships. I don't mean to be negative but after reading some of the cellaring posts around here it is certainly possible someone's ruining their life spending money they don't have on tobacco.
I personally don't think I have an addiction as it doesn't affect me if I don't smoke and go days at a time without smoking my pipes.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I was 100% addicted to cigarettes. I tried to pacify the cravings with a mix of vaping, nasal snuff, and the occasional pipe bowl, and even the occasional pouch of snus when things got really bad, but the addiction was real and the withdrawals were horrible.
I suffered headaches and complete lack of focus, an angst that took three days to grow to it's peak, and 5 weeks to wean away, the shakes, the shits, the sweats, quit zits, sores on my scalp, and my hair was untameable. My skin felt oily, and not just from the cold sweats. It was as if something was being leached from my skin, and whatever this was may have accounted for the zits and sores.
I am now cigarette free, and for the most part have ditched the vape, but do buy the odd 10ml bottle every now and then. I take a pinch of nasal snuff occasionally throughout the day, and smoke a few pipe bowls a week. My nicotine consumption is a fraction of what it was before.
I am no longer a cigarette addict, but still consider myself a nicotine addict. My addiction is now manageable.

pipeman84

Lurker
Dec 9, 2016
It's good to remember that the first Surgeon General report (1964) focused on smoking didn't consider it addictive, but habitual. It took 24 years of propaganda and a fanatical anti-smoker, C. Everett Koop, till smoking was declared addictive (SG report 1988). Then all hell broke lose, because one can't debate/argue/discuss with addicts, right?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When I gave up the cancer sticks in 1983, I went through several weeks of withdrawal, sweats, nausea, rashes and sores on my skin, etc. Definitely physical addiction. Haven't had a cig since and have no desire to have one. Didn't smoke anything for years thereafter until I picked up the pipe again. I don't like nicotine and favor blends that are light in that element. I can, and do, put down the pipe for weeks at a time with no issues.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I think everyone is different. For me, I love nicotine, in all forms. Pipe, dip, and nasal snuff. I would smoke cigs for a few years, and stop cold turkey, and it was no big deal. The first few days, I'd crave a smoke, but it wasn't bad. I wouldn't take any nicotine in when I would stop, so it wasn't that I got my nicotine elsewhere that did it. I just think I don't really get addicted to nicotine. Don't get me wrong I do crave it, but if I stop it's not really that big of a thing for me to be without. Also I am a nicotine heavy weight, I'll smoke high nicotine tobacco, dip and use snuff all at the same time.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some are habituated, some addicted, and others who are neither among the brotherhood of pipe smokers.
Did I leave anyone out??

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Withdrawal from being a 2-pack a day smoker is intense. Sweats, headaches, sleeplessness, anxiety...
I have never heard that it isn't physiologically addictive.
Sex, gambling, shopping, and other non-chemical addictions cause our brains to manufacture their own chemicals/neurotransmitters which we can become addicted to. (dopamine)
Trying to quit any "psychological" addiction can cause adverse physiological withdrawal symptoms.
Habituation is more like getting used to living near the noisy airport or getting used to that one wet sock or a gradual getting used to an adverse stimulus... to the point where it's not annoying anymore.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
The problem is, society links cigarette smoking with ALL types of tobacco. Tobacco is not addictive. Cigarettes are due to all the chemicals added. Look on any addiction website or rehab center. There are a set of criteria that define addiction. Some of these are: An increased need for the substance ,ie 2/day today, 4 tomorrow, 10 next week etc, Loss of the ability to hold down a job etc. I'm pretty sure most of you guys that started smoking a pipe just a few years ago are not now smoking 57 bowls a day and collecting an unemployment check because you got fired from your job. Most of us pipe smokers can easily go for a few days/weeks between bowls, not so with heroin, alcohol or cigarettes.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have smoked a pipe for 30 years but I never got my nicotine from them. I smoked cigarettes until 8 years ago. I had what I would call a mild heart attack. I recognized the symptoms and got to the hospital fast enough to avoid permanent heart damage.
I still smoke a pipe but when I NEED nicotine I get it from gum or lozenges. I smoke, and have always smoked a pipe for the taste and that primal feeling of taming fire in a bowl.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Some are habituated, some addicted
Habit is an addiction of the mind, the other an addiction of the body. I used to smoke really strong Indian cigarettes but never became physically addicted. Either kind of addiction is but a matter of willpower in order to break. When your smoking becomes a need of suppressing a craving more so than merely satisfying a desire, it might be time for you to think about cutting back. I will occasionally stop for a day or a few when I feel that it is time for the body to take a break.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Quitting cigarettes doesn't give you the shakes and sweats or anything physical that I know of
Before switching to a pipe, I tried to quit cigs a few times ...
Shaking, sweating, anxiety, irritability, and more happened to me.
And the HEADACHES. By far the worst part of trying to cold-turkey a cigarette addiction is the headaches.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
This may derail the thread and I'm not naming names but, there are a lot of off the wall observations here with regard to addiction, nicotine with regard to pipe tobaccos and etc. Must be a lot of medicos here with more knowledge than is generally available to the scientific, medical community.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I don't actively seek the "nic" hit. I do enjoy it if it is light. I also can leave tobacco alone for days if so inclined. I just enjoy smoking too leave it for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.