Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

Should We Expect Free Samples with Orders?

(50 posts)
  1. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Being in Germany I decided to order some HU. My order of 100g Director's Cut and 50g Daddy Gefftl (hopefully the wife will like the smell) came today. On a positive note it arrived very quickly. It came without free samples which is a disappointment as I would love a taste of other blends. Rather than tobacco a Twix bar was included (blech!).

Should we expect free samples? I'd gotten accustomed to this and looked forward to trying new blends out. If I like them I would likely order a full 50 or 100g next time.

Also I had some problems with the way the HU product arrived. The tin of Director's Cut came with the seal broken. Not like it just tore a little, but it had clearly been opened after sealing with the paper seal torn in half and the paper not aligned on the top and side. Also the tin of Daddy Gefftl is very badly dented with most of the bottom half of the tin bent in, making it difficult to open. So this is disappointing. Makes me wonder why the DC tin was opened and if it is the full 100g. And what caused the DG tin to be so badly dented? Ah well. The Daddy Gefftl is a new one for me so I look forward to giving it a spin.

Anyhow, I know it is unbecoming of a man of my age to complain like a spoiled school kid. Still, I like trying different blends without having to invest a lot of money in something I might not like.

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Seldom Seen
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unless the tins were damaged in shipping, there's no excuse for getting broken seals and opened tins. NONE.

As far as samples go, I understand why some retailers might not include them in orders. Where I live, I believe free samples are against the law. Other criteria might be cost and the low return on investment.

Lets say I ordered a tin of a vanilla aromatic made up of virginia and cavendish. Would the retailer include a sample of a similar blend? How about a perique laden or a latakia heavy blend? For me, those last two would go directly in the trash can.

I'm lucky enough to live in a big city with a pipe club that meets a few times a year, so we get a chance to offer and accept a bowl of something new between members.I know that's not possible in some places, but maybe you can find a few local pipe smokers and start up a little exchange program.

Oh, and just for the record, I live in a country with obscenely high tobacco taxes, so I have to think three times before I order a new unknown blend. For example, a 100g tin of MacBaren that is $10-$12 on most internet retailers balloons to more than double that by the time it arrives here. If I get dinged for customs, the price more than triples.

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

The best thing to do in order to get one is ask for a sample of a specific tobacco. If the retailer is keen, he will include one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not sure why one would expect a free sample. Do you send the retailer $10 in a card now and then as a top for good service or for providing free samples? The best way to sample a product that looks interesting is to buy a tin. If you don't like it, then give your own free samples away.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know here in the United States you can't do free samples anymore, because of the FDA regulations that were recently implemented.

Dented tins are usually because they weren't packaged very well for transport. I mostly order from SmokingPipes and they do a great job packaging the orders. There's always tons of paper and air bags and what not so the tins can't shuffle around and get dented.

I remember some US places were having problems with tins denting in transit and they typically replaced it if you took pictures and sent them to the company in an email.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tin opened? Gestapo action??

Free samples aren't done in many lines of trades; in some they are, and that depends on where the purveyor is, and perhaps how large the order.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. johnbarleycorn

johnbarleycorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have never even considered expecting a free sample. But an opened tin is another matter. That is absolutely unacceptable in my opinion. Dents are one thing but a broken seal is a bit much.

And little Sir John and the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Coming from HU, I get the sense Hans often includes extrasym with orders. Weight is a big factor in shipping, so if it's a light order he will throw some samples in.

I suppose there's a slight chance US Customs opened your tin.

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Perhaps I've just been very fortunate on past orders coming with little tasters of other blends (Peter Heinrich's et al). The cardboard box was perfectly okay so the tin must have been dented prior to packing. Anyhow, it's not that big of a deal. I'm still a little put off by the broken seal but I'll get over that. The tobacco looks nice and the "tin note" on both are great. I know from experience that I enjoy Director's Cut so it's nice to have it back on hand.

Edit: No chance that US customs opened it. I'm in Germany.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Buy a pipe from JM Boswell (here in the states) and get a free ounce of tobacco of your choice, a pipe tool, about 20 pipe cleaners and a box of matches. Free. It adds a nice touch to Mon-n-Pop business.

As far as you damged goods go? It happens. I'm sure they'll make it right.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Buy a pipe from JM Boswell (here in the states) and get a free ounce of tobacco of your choice, a pipe tool, about 20 pipe cleaners and a box of matches. Free. It adds a nice touch to Mon-n-Pop business.

Don't kid yourself, it isn't free. It's simply built into the cost of the sale.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Edit: No chance that US customs opened it. I'm in Germany.

I should have read more carefully.
    I'm sure Hans would replace the opened tin if you wanted.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I regret naming HU in this forum. Mostly wanted to know if others have had similar experiences in ordering online and perhaps to vent a bit. I'll point out that the order was placed on Friday and arrived on Monday. Yes we are in the same country but there is a considerable distance between us. They packed it quickly, had it sent off lickity-split, and I'm sure the quality will be top notch. And even though twix isn't my cup of tea it was a nice thought. I'll look forward to trying out more of the HU blends in the future.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A better way for me to address a potential problem is in private, in this case directly to HU; certainly not on a public forum. It's not fair to HU and I regret it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

opus777

Login to Send PM

good company, will make it right I'm sure.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In my purchases, samples are a pleasant surprise but never expected. From online retailers, I think I've gotten samples maybe twice over ten years or so. Before that, I shopped at brick-and-mortar and got no samples. My best samples have come from generous Forums members, but I don't expect those, they're just a treat.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

( have gotten samples a couple of times with the purchase of a new pipe. Not otherwise.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never expect anything for free, online or otherwise.

If your tin was opened you should bring that to their attention though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Prior to the FDA regulations, lagniappe was a welcome addition to purchases, but was never expected. Just a nice little perk that would often guarantee repeat business.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulfg

Login to Send PM

Indeed, I have recently made a couple of purchases from Estervals pipe house in Germany.The first was some parts for my old boy lighter and a sample of Dunhill 965 was included.The second some Dunhill tins ( including 965 as a result of the sample) and a sample of Grousemoor and a Vauen blend was included.The third was some more items for my lighter,only a few euros worth,no sample.
    It was not expected and was a welcome surprise.
    Incidently the Vauen tobacco was not my cup of tea and went straight into the bin (it was an aromatic)

I too suggest contacting your supplier re the open tin.I dont think HU sell direct anymore so assume there was a third party retailer involved

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I believe we can still order direct from HU here in Germany. A bowl of Director's Cut while walking the dogs this morning was very nice. Perhaps samples with orders is more of a European courtesy. My orders from Peter Heinrich's, for example, always come with a sample or two. The samples aren't always something I end up liking, but trying is how I know, and I enjoy trying different blends. I still regret creating this post in the first place. The HU tobacco is very nice and I'm grateful that it is available. The overall shipment had some issues, nevertheless, the product is outstanding and it arrived very quickly. Whining and sense of entitlement is unbecoming. If the good folk at HU see this: Thank you, you do strong work.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

While a freebie is nice, I don't ever harbor expectations of getting one. So my answer to the topic is no.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seldom, you should have no regrets. I don't believe you caused any damage to anyone. HU has a strong following from a number of people here. Mistakes happen. I know I will continue to purchase and enjoy HU Tobacco blends. Have an order inbound right now in fact. Fantastic product.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hu has a very good reputation around here and that hasn't changed. I scored 2 cans of Directors Cut off EBAY and really liked the blend alot. Would like to pick up more if possible.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulfg

Login to Send PM

I believe we can still order direct from HU here in Germany
    maybe.I remember getting an e-mail from Hans telling me he was closing his online shop and directing me to http://www.pfeifendepot.de/

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Between 01/13 and 05/14 I ordered ~$5000.00 from one shop. I got a tamper and some samples. I thought that perhaps I would but didn't. Freebies are complimentary while business is business, and even when given are a gesture to get more business.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see I was mistaken about ordering direct from HU. Within Germany HU orders are handled by Tabakwaren Bosch and this is who I received the shipment from. https://hu-tobacco-bosch.de/

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

ekert

Login to Send PM

I don't expect free anything unless it's part of the deal like buy $XXX get free shipping, buy 5x get 1 free, etc. Have I gone to Costco and been given a sample of something and purchased an item I hadn't considered in the past? Many times, but there has never been an expectation of receiving something for free.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anytime I got a free sample it was something I would never smoke so I could care less if I ever get one again.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't expect any free samples when I place an online order.

At the Chicago Pipe Show I did receive a free t-shirt from SmokingPipes...no purchase. I was walking by their booth and heard "Want a t-shirt? What size?" and they handed it to me. They also gave one to my son and son-in-law. That was unexpected.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why would anyone expect to get something free, as things free are a gift, and gifts come by the giver's decision.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see my mea culpa earlier hasn't prevented those with a holier than thou bit to write from resurrecting this thread. I came to expect samples from experience with ordering online. Also the way the order arrived was less than satisfactory. I do expect some things in life. That people on a pipe forum smoke pipes for instance. Anyhow, perhaps this thread can be allowed to retire.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One would expect to get a freebie, a langiappe (sp?), a gift, if that is the custom in the trade, or a particular institution. Under any definition of "free" or "gift". A very reasonable question.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The company’s I order from in the UK. Don’t send out freebies anymore. It’s difficult to know if you like a tobacco without trying it. Some shops will give out a sample if you buy enough of something else.

A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise ☪️
    OLDMANSMOKING
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never expect anything for free. Occasionally you might get a free sample of tobacco x from brand y if you order tobacco z from brand y. However, I feel those days are over at least here in the US, so if I want to try a tobacco I either get an ounce or two in bulk or just take the plunge and buy a tin.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's a legitimate question about the tobacco pipe retailing culture, but as many have said, it's not part of the deal. Pipe shows in the past have been lavish with samples of blends, but this has become problematic or nonexistent with new FDA regs. However, from time to time, Forums members are incredibly generous with samples ... whole tins...pipes! But this is the land of pipe fanatics, so not to be compared with commerce in general.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I find it so strange that a twix was included.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Should we expect a free Twix with orders? I never got one, and now I’m pissed.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personally, I'd rather have a Mr Goodbar

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve been looking for Mr. Goodbar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Woods, I'm betting you're looking for two, one for yourself & one to gift embers for Xmas. }:)

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  42. samuelgawith01

samuelgawith01

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do not expect any free samples with any purchase.However,and if the law would allow,If I were a retailer,and had a BIG spending customer,I would include small samples (enough for a pipe full) of one or two mixtures if asked for.The occasional small purchase would not qualify in my opinion.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Free stuff is cool.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  44. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I want a Bar None bar. The original one, not the second one which was crap. The original one in the brown wrapper.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bnich, I ain’t playing wingman for no Dunhill hater.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Who, me, or that other froot loop?

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. rmpeeps

rmpeeps

Login to Send PM

I reserve my expectations for basic communications, promptness and accuracy of an order.
    That said, I guess I’m getting some free Drexel tobacco. ???

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like US Customs buggered your package.

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  49. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My two cents for what's it's worth is don't expect free samples. Courteous, professional conduct and great customer service is to me, the name of the game and builds repeat customers.
    If an online retailer decides to send you a free sample be courteous in return and thank them. It's the icing on the cake.
    Many years ago at Christmas time, the company I was working for, always gave a Christmas cash bonus to their employees. I remember how angry and disgruntled one particular employee was because he stated that his bonus should have been larger than he received. I told him to be thankful he got anything and to be thankful for his job with so many people unemployed.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mr. Monk, the OP is in Germany.

Speaking of which, has anyone in the US had any difficulties with US Customs over a tobacco or pipe mail shipment? I haven’t, despite having received some good-sized orders.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mikethompson