Tags:  No tags yet. 

Should One Designate A Pipe For Burley?

(11 posts)
  • Started 7 months ago by slowwideturns
  • Latest reply from virginialover
  1. slowwideturns

slowwideturns

Login to Send PM

I've been diving into burley blends lately and I'm curious if you burley smokers designate for it.

j.k. livin'... the j's for just the k's for keep
    Posted 7 months ago #
  2. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I confess I'm not the kind of smoker who can try a blend and tell you what side of the hill the leaf I'm smoking was grown on, but I usually find it doesn't heavily ghost any of my pipes. I usually smoke burleys in a pipe which otherwise takes Virginias. I'm sure others with more sensitive palates might consider this heresy, but it works for me.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 7 months ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is totally up to you. But, I can't help but wonder what you mean by burley. Most are rather aromatic, but some can be stout straight burleys. Do you mean that you smoke Prince Albert and codger burleys or like Aged Burley Flake or Burley Flake #1?
    If you're smoking the more aromatic stuff, you might want to consider dedicating a pipe. But, if you mean a more natural flavor burley, then you could probably alternate that easily with VaPers and Englishes with no flavor carryover at all. My codger blend pipe keeps a constant aromatic odor to it, and would definitely ghost anything else that I smoke in that pipe next.

But, there's no rules. Some guys like the carryover flavors from a ghosted pipe.

Michael
    Posted 7 months ago #
  4. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do not dedicate pipes for burley. Just try and smoke in a pipe that hasn’t seen Latakia. And, burley does not ghost. Of course, that assumes it is not aromatic like cosmic discussed.

Neal
    Posted 7 months ago #
  5. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As mentioned above, non aromatic burleys can smoke in anything unlesss you have a very sensitive palate
    I have a burley dedicated pipe that I use but I also mix it into other pipes as needed. I am a dedicate a style to a pipe kind of guy but burley doesn’t ghost. Have fun

Posted 7 months ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, seanv and others sorted it out pretty well. You might want to designate pipes for certain aromatics that tend to flavor future bowls, but unflavored burley doesn't require designation of pipes. Unless ... there may be some people with excruciatingly sensitive sensory equipment, or extravagant imaginations, that might attain better smoking by having a separate burley pipe or pipes. Whatever the base tobacco, I think it is a good idea to designate a pipe for Lakeland aromatics, famous for ghosting.

Posted 7 months ago #
  7. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't smoke a straight burley but I do smoke my share of Vaburs. I dedicate a good number of pipes to that category.

Harris
    Posted 7 months ago #
  8. samuelgawith01

samuelgawith01

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I designate. Straight,full on Burley with no essence gets certain pipes.

Posted 7 months ago #
  9. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I kind of do. The only real heavy Burley blend I smoke is ABF and that smokes great in my falcon, so my falcon is my Burley pipe now.

Posted 7 months ago #
  10. ernieq

ernieq

Login to Send PM

It depends on how the blend in cased, but in general most Burley is pretty benign. Rum tends to leave a soapy flavor/aroma in the pipe, so you may want to look out for any leaf cured in it.

Posted 7 months ago #
  11. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

As a mainly Virginia tobacco smoker, I tend to have separate pipes for Burley, Semois and Kentucky.

Posted 7 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   3rdguy, pepesdad1, olkofri, nhhiggy, tobacconut, ashdigger, hugodrax, alaskanpiper, pitchfork