PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
I've been diving into burley blends lately and I'm curious if you burley smokers designate for it.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I confess I'm not the kind of smoker who can try a blend and tell you what side of the hill the leaf I'm smoking was grown on, but I usually find it doesn't heavily ghost any of my pipes. I usually smoke burleys in a pipe which otherwise takes Virginias. I'm sure others with more sensitive palates might consider this heresy, but it works for me.

That is totally up to you. But, I can't help but wonder what you mean by burley. Most are rather aromatic, but some can be stout straight burleys. Do you mean that you smoke Prince Albert and codger burleys or like Aged Burley Flake or Burley Flake #1?

If you're smoking the more aromatic stuff, you might want to consider dedicating a pipe. But, if you mean a more natural flavor burley, then you could probably alternate that easily with VaPers and Englishes with no flavor carryover at all. My codger blend pipe keeps a constant aromatic odor to it, and would definitely ghost anything else that I smoke in that pipe next.
But, there's no rules. Some guys like the carryover flavors from a ghosted pipe.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I do not dedicate pipes for burley. Just try and smoke in a pipe that hasn’t seen Latakia. And, burley does not ghost. Of course, that assumes it is not aromatic like cosmic discussed.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
As mentioned above, non aromatic burleys can smoke in anything unlesss you have a very sensitive palate

I have a burley dedicated pipe that I use but I also mix it into other pipes as needed. I am a dedicate a style to a pipe kind of guy but burley doesn’t ghost. Have fun

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cosmic, seanv and others sorted it out pretty well. You might want to designate pipes for certain aromatics that tend to flavor future bowls, but unflavored burley doesn't require designation of pipes. Unless ... there may be some people with excruciatingly sensitive sensory equipment, or extravagant imaginations, that might attain better smoking by having a separate burley pipe or pipes. Whatever the base tobacco, I think it is a good idea to designate a pipe for Lakeland aromatics, famous for ghosting.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I kind of do. The only real heavy Burley blend I smoke is ABF and that smokes great in my falcon, so my falcon is my Burley pipe now.

ernieq

Might Stick Around
Aug 9, 2018
It depends on how the blend in cased, but in general most Burley is pretty benign. Rum tends to leave a soapy flavor/aroma in the pipe, so you may want to look out for any leaf cured in it.

Mar 29, 2016
As a mainly Virginia tobacco smoker, I tend to have separate pipes for Burley, Semois and Kentucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.