Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk » British Pipes

Tags:   

Should My Barling's Make Prince Be Bent?

(12 posts)
  • Started 11 months ago by owen
  • Latest reply from josephcross
  1. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A recent acquisition. When I checked the shape number it appears is should have a bent stem?

Posted 11 months ago #
  2. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It might have been straightened, can be bent if you want, very easily, DIY.
    It looks original, or at least authentic to Barling. The length seems appropriate too.

Posted 11 months ago #
  3. jcsoldit

JC

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bent seams to be the norm now days, but it doesn't have to be, some prefer them straight. I read a post on facebook from Gregory Pease where he stated that in his opinion, all princes should be straight.

As an example to others, and not that I care for moderation myself, it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep, and never to refrain from smoking when awake.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  4. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Your prince is pictured in the 150th Anniversary Catalog that Barling published in 1962. The stem is straight. The model number is 2386, which breaks down as follows:

2 = chamber size - small, the equivalent of the old S-M size stamp
    38 = shape - prince
    6 = stem shape - tapered stem with a length of between 3-1/4" to 3-5/8"

The page also shows a prince with a very slight bend added to the stem. No variation in stem shape number. So a bent was an option. A lot of pipesters think that a prince is always a bent. Nope. Not the case at all.

Your pipe was straight stemmed.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 11 months ago #
  5. orlandofurioso

orlandofurioso

Login to Send PM

It is a nice one Owen, nothing to add to Jesse's very learned and much appreciated opinion.

I too prefer a straight stemmed prince, makes it look a trifle more masculine imho .

Posted 11 months ago #
  6. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you gents. I didn't much fancy bending it I'm far too clumsy. It stays straight. Such a shame to loose the logo to remove the oxidisation. I can see this one getting a lot of use.

Posted 11 months ago #
  7. orlandofurioso

orlandofurioso

Login to Send PM

The Barling logos were hot stamped ones and often kind of "dissolved" in the oxidation .
    Would not worry to much about it. I have my methods to remove the oxidation and preserve a logo , but it is delicate.
    With liquid paper most of the shallow logos can be "filled" .

Posted 11 months ago #
  8. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, it's the straight variant.

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Useful note for us students of shapes. I would have said bent was the standard for a prince, but it's good to know otherwise. I think the classic churchwarden had an arched stem, but straight churchwardens have become pretty standard if not quite as common ... I have both. For my taste, I think a somewhat bent stem on a prince adds to its air of elegance, but that is purely subjective.

Posted 11 months ago #
  10. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It looks great straight. I'm glad you will keep it that way.

Posted 11 months ago #
  11. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

....all princes should be straight.

Especially if they want to continue the line. My little prince is about a 1/16 bent. Good to know there are also straight ones.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  12. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only have one prince, a Dunhill 4407. I absolutely love the shape of your pipe.

Posted 11 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mau1, jjarrett88, papipeguy, mellobeing, tbradsim1, jiminks, brooklynpiper